997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Champion 68s exceed capabilities of GT2RS/.2tt intercoolers

Old 10-22-2015, 03:42 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Obb
Meth.

after reading mtlsp's post about his blown up y-pipe and I/cs from methanol fumes I think I'll take methanol off the list, lol. I know, I know it **** can happen without methanol too.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:28 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
There aren't modestly prices ICs that outperform the .2s. Either AMS or the Proto ones, both around the same price.

Or run e85 for the once a year race event. That would solve the temp issue as well.
SRM or ETS. Both will outperform 997.2.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Bogg
after reading mtlsp's post about his blown up y-pipe and I/cs from methanol fumes I think I'll take methanol off the list, lol. I know, I know it **** can happen without methanol too.
One key thing to keep in mind, not all meth kits are created equal, quite the contrary and in addition to that everything on the car needs to be calibrated appropriately. Push the turbos hard, overspin the shaft, compressor wheel goes flying into your intercooler bits end up in the motor, would we blame turbos in that case and say people should stick with NA?

See this post for some explanation and hopefully we'll have a good discussion. Its really unfortunate what happened with mtlsp's setup.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4418111

Old 10-23-2015, 03:05 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix
SRM or ETS. Both will outperform 997.2.
From the logs I've seen (SRM) and the testing I've done (ETS), neither is a marked improvement in IAT control over 997.2s unfortunately.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:34 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3
From the logs I've seen (SRM) and the testing I've done (ETS), neither is a marked improvement in IAT control over 997.2s unfortunately.
Can I call you "The Earl3 of Intercoolers" ?

They test out a little better, and for not much more money you get the aluminum end tanks. That's kind of a big deal for people trying to push the limits of the stock engine on e85 with big VTGs.

For a couple hundred extra dollars I see it as worth it to not have to deal with modifying/epoxying the 997.2 cores.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:57 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Earl, what is the iat threshold on the 997.1tt when the car will start to pull timing? If the iat is high would the car also cut boost and add fuel to cool things down by lowering lambdas? If the answer is no then I guess I can conclude it was high egts that were responsible for those things happening in my car.

I am glad you chimed in about the intercoolers above. I do not like the idea of randomly trying things. But to be honest I am quite happy with the overall performance of the .2 intercoolers on my car and I am leaning toward just accepting the performance drop for one day in the year.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks
One key thing to keep in mind, not all meth kits are created equal, quite the contrary and in addition to that everything on the car needs to be calibrated appropriately. Push the turbos hard, overspin the shaft, compressor wheel goes flying into your intercooler bits end up in the motor, would we blame turbos in that case and say people should stick with NA?

See this post for some explanation and hopefully we'll have a good discussion. Its really unfortunate what happened with mtlsp's setup.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4418111
I am following that thread. I know you have your meth kit with safeties etc... and I do get your point.

Would running racegas at the track lower egts? On my pump tune I mean.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:59 PM
rix
Earl, what is the iat threshold on the 997.1tt when the car will start to pull timing? If the iat is high would the car also cut boost and add fuel to cool things down by lowering lambdas? If the answer is no then I guess I can conclude it was high egts that were responsible for those things happening in my car.

I am glad you chimed in about the intercoolers above. I do not like the idea of randomly trying things. But to be honest I am quite happy with the overall performance of the .2 intercoolers on my car and I am leaning toward just accepting the performance drop for one day in the year.
Cooler IATs also get you more power, it's not just a matter of going too high and losing timing. Unless you are planning on turning the boost up I'd stick with the 997.2 you already have.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by rix
Cooler IATs also get you more power, it's not just a matter of going too high and losing timing. Unless you are planning on turning the boost up I'd stick with the 997.2 you already have.
Understood - I am just now trying to figure out if it was the high iats that were causing my performance drop or high egts.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:05 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix
Can I call you "The Earl3 of Intercoolers" ?

They test out a little better, and for not much more money you get the aluminum end tanks. That's kind of a big deal for people trying to push the limits of the stock engine on e85 with big VTGs.

For a couple hundred extra dollars I see it as worth it to not have to deal with modifying/epoxying the 997.2 cores.
I like the sound of that!

and I agree completely that the coolers you mentioned are good fire and forget solutions for those that don't want to mess with reinforcing 997.2s.

I just didn't want The Bogg to be disappointed if his IATs looked similar after swapping. None of these coolers are bad at all -they're all up against a tremendous challenge to control IATs with only 14" of core length to work with and a DME that is (rightfully so) very sensitive to IAT. I wish there was an economical way to get the true 30 fpi density the Marstons offer. Even then, ~25C over ambient peak is about as good as it gets with upgraded VTGs at 1.5 bar

Apparently 9e has a fairly ingenious method/workaround that helps with temps -I'd love to know what it is!

The Bogg,

Do you have the rest of that log by any chance? (MAF, timing and AFRs would be useful)

Last edited by earl3; 10-23-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:22 PM
rix
Understood - I am just now trying to figure out if it was the high iats that were causing my performance drop or high egts.
IAT will affect EGT but it is not a huge component. The main issue we face in these cars with EGTs is the horrifically small turbine on the stock turbos. By the time you put a 68mm compressor wheel on them the turbine probably thinks that is horribly unfair.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Earl, what is the iat threshold on the 997.1tt when the car will start to pull timing?

IIRC the timing fun police arrive gently at 37C but get noticeably more aggressive at 52C. I would check with Cobb though.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:34 PM

The Bogg,

Do you have the rest of that log by any chance? (MAF, timing and AFRs would be useful)
I didn't log MAF (I assume that is mass air flow). I can just attach the Excel file if that is what you want to see? I should point out that my O2 sensors are in need of replacement and my spark plugs are showing some "scatter" at higher rpms. I'm changing out to the Bosch motorsports one in the spring. This same tune had very little knock sensor activity previously but on these runs there is a bit more activity. We just switched to Maf tune from mafless (same tune) so maybe some tweaking is necessary. Let me know and I'll attach the datalog....

Old 10-24-2015, 02:19 AM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Hello,

Wonder why you did not go with the Champion IC's, those have proven performance all around.

Manuel

Old 10-24-2015, 02:27 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Kind of think this thread has a missleading title, the upgrades vtg's (incl champions 68) dont upgrade the exhaust/turbine side of the turbo, thus creating to much backpressure and high egt's. The gt2rs/997.2 IC's are great as proven over and over, sure there is 5k IC's that might be a bit better.

So if one is stuck with the vtg's one prob need E85 or meth to not melt something in the long run.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Champion 68s exceed capabilities of GT2RS/.2tt intercoolers