997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Benefits of upgrading to 82mm throttle body and y-pipe, or not

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 12:52 PM
ThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to all
Benefits of upgrading to 82mm throttle body and y-pipe, or not

I had a conversation with a well respected tuner today, who advised me that there are minimal gains from upgrading to an 82mm throttle body, plenum and y-pipe for my car, and possibly a loss in HP. I have a 2007 997.1TT, and have currently only replaced the exhaust with Fabspeed maxflo 200 cats, and a Softronic tune.

He said there is a reason Porsche has stuck with the T pipe for so long, and if there were benefits, they would have changed the design years ago.

I really don't want to start a hater thread here, so please just help me out with the facts and what your experiences have been.

Thanks,

TR

Old 12-15-2015, 01:13 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Send me one. I'll put it on, dyno it before and after.
Takes 5 minutes to swap on my setup.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:55 PM
matt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to all
See attached dyno curves for my 997.1
Reference only, your results may vary depending on the car, dyno, and conditions during the pull.

Run #1 Stock = 425hp/398tq
Run #2 TB, Y-pipe, Plenum only = 444hp/435tq
Run #3 add exhaust, intercoolers, and tune =490hp/544tq

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 12-15-2015, 02:36 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Nice. 19hp/37ftlbs

I'll have to slap the y-pipe only as I already on the TB and Plenum.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:58 PM
ThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to all
Originally Posted by matt2ace
See attached dyno curves for my 997.1
Reference only, your results may vary depending on the car, dyno, and conditions during the pull.

Run #1 Stock = 425hp/398tq
Run #2 TB, Y-pipe, Plenum only = 444hp/435tq
Run #3 add exhaust, intercoolers, and tune =490hp/544tq

Very nice!!!

Old 12-15-2015, 03:26 PM
matt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to all
Big jump with tune (VR). I was going for a relatively mild upgrade in power, trying not to push it past the capability of the clutch, for now. We had some heat soak issues during the last dyno runs with all mods. One aborted run read out 575ft-lb torque at 5000rpm but was cut off due to some strange A/F measurements. Next run, after cooling down for 20 minutes was ~545tq. Horsepower was only measured to 6100rpm, probably would come be higher than the ~500hp peak measured on that pull.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:40 PM
My buddy has the new y-pipe. May swap it out on the dyno on friday to see the difference i makes with something doing ~1000 crank.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:33 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
I was skeptical of the plenum/TB upgrade as well. After looking at the parts though I can see how the plenum especially would really help. Not that the IPD part is a work of art, but it's a far sight better than the stock piece.

The bench racer in me says it's probably a wash on the bigger plenum and TB vs. the smaller IPD plenum and stock TB unless you're putting on substantially larger turbos.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
You might want to give this a read on post #83. Keep in mind that this is on a car running some nice power!!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...project-6.html

I have the stockers & offered Dzennso at PTF to swap back if he wanted to and see the net difference in power.

I purchased my car with a GT3 throttle body and 83mm IPD plenum so I can't directly tell you the difference, but I might have a little comparison.

For something more stock-ish comparison:

I run 6.9 60-130 on 94 pump with STOCK intercoolers with Proto's 63.5mm. Most run those times with 997.2 coolers or better upgraded intercoolers. I am in the process of installing ETS coolers this week and would be able to see how it does against similar set ups with coolers.

When I just got the package from Proto my car was running 7.1 60-130 (Todd tweaked my tune & gave me a little more bottom end since hence the 6.9's) . I was running BOGG's EXACT tune (Todd K send me his exact tune, but adjusted for my 80lbs's), both had catless exhausts, same fuel (94 octane from Petro Canada) and exact Proto 63.5 turbos (I actually cracked my original 63.5mm psg side turbo with a rock & purchased the Proto 63.5 set that was actually on BOGG's car when he upgraded to 68mm Champions!!) and he was running 7.2's. So we were effectively running the same times around 7.1-7.2's.

We both do not kill our cars to achieve times, do our runs on almost flat surface's (ie my 6.9's were on a -0.5% decline) & don't power shift. BOGG has 997.2 intercoolers and I didn't. The only real difference is my GT3 throttle body, IPD 82mm Plenum, EVOMS LW crank pulley, ERP LWFW verses his 997.2 coolers. We all know how much 997.2 cooler increase the performance over the stockers by almost 0.2-0.4 pending many factors. I feel that the GT3 throttle body & IPD Plenum makes up that differences on our "lightly" modded cars verses his 997.2 coolers. I don't feel the LW crank pulley and ERP LWFW helps for power, but just for a quicker revving & more exotic feeling motor.

Now I would buy upgraded intercooler all day, every day over the IPD or GT3 throttle body, but after you do the coolers you can add the for-mentioned to further add power & throttle response.

The more power you make, the more these two mods add power as they help the flow of the extra air.

Someone (not me as I just want to drive my car now!) should just do some 60-130's, bolt these products same temps, same road, 4th gear and then 3rd-4th to see if it helps on boost recovery. Then we can see the delta difference on a more mildly stock car.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Old 12-15-2015, 07:57 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
82mm throttle body and plenum turned out to be a really solid upgrade on our 3076 car as mentioned by Bobbyali above but they provide considerably large airflow than stock VTGs at boost levels we're running (~26psi peak). We haven't dyno tested the differences before/after on a VTG car so we won't speculate but plenty others that dynoed have shown measurable power gains. I wonder if the ones reporting lag introduced boost leaks during install and fixed them reverting back to the stock plenum. Easy to introduce them in multiple places when swapping the plenum/throttle body. Just a thought.

Dzenno@PTF

Old 12-15-2015, 08:19 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
TR, I think you will find a large majority of tuners run and prefer the IPD products. The more air you move the better they work. The gentleman at IPD our standup about their products. I've offered a money back guarantee and even to pay for Dyno runs The customer is disappointed and it's always proven to be great. Happy customers! Like some said you can actually feel it on the butt Dyno.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:55 PM
Thanks for all the input guys! I do have new coolers in the garage to install . I'm not read to go meth or upgrade turbos ... just yet. But I thought I would give the 82mm set up and coolers a try and see what happens. Next would probably be the turbos. I'm hesitant to start playing with E85 or meth at this point. 93 Octane is easily available, and I want to see what I can do on that first.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:15 AM
jjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant future
if anyone is interested, I have a BNIB ipd y-pipe for a killer price. PM me.

-Jose

Old 12-17-2015, 10:34 AM
I'll be on the dyno friday doing a before/after with a higher HP car. It's y-pipe only as I already have the TB and Plenum.

For those with significantly more power than stock, this will give you a good idea of the value of the ypipe.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:11 PM
Cool! please let us know how it goes!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Benefits of upgrading to 82mm throttle body and y-pipe, or not