Build for autocross and track - the Warthog - Page 10 - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > Porsche (Present) > 997 Turbo / GT2
Reload this Page >

Build for autocross and track - the Warthog

Notices
997 Turbo / GT2 20062012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.

Build for autocross and track - the Warthog

Old 10-17-2017, 09:40 PM
Webspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gnoy26 View Post
and regarding roffles comment, im in the same position as ive just started tracking the 997 turbo

just changed pasm stock absorbers with eibach springs
front max camber -2 toe 0
rear -1.5 degree camber total toe in 0.12

rear GT2 antirollbar 3 holes, middle hole, so medium

i have considered the dsc sport controller but is it beneficial on the track? as when i have the PASM full hard its proper firm and i dont find the suspensions bottoming out however i do still have alot of understeer.

i have considered camberplates as it allows adjustment easily but i saw on your thread that it would hinder the front drive shafts. there for im considering the powerflex front camber bush pff57-801.

what is your take?
Your settings look good, the easy first step is to change the rear sway bar to the stiffest setting. That will help in all 3 phases of the orner. Some of the understeer bias may be the spring rates, which are not easy to change without switching to coil-overs.

PASM in the sport setting sets the shocks to full stiff, which does not help understeer on turn in. DSC may help with keeping the front soft initially, but it's price is high.

With camber plates, you have to check front driveshafts still have some free play. Up to about 3 degrees you should be ok. But they will add harshness with the solid bearings, so consider that.

Another option, may be a wider set of front wheels, maybe just for track usage, with an increase in tire size to 245 or 255. That may be more cost effective than extensive suspension work!

Old 10-17-2017, 09:46 PM
Webspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
Thank you so much! How much negative camber in the rear can I add without compromising straightline grip?

I currently have lowering springs part number GMG997TTWCR (219146). Doesn't seem like they're coilovers because I don't see height adjusters on them.

Car has 30k miles. OEM LSD option.

For tires I'm running stock size Bridgestone RE-71R.

My impression on a small autox track, is that there's room to improve in body roll and also there's a noticeable delay between steering input and body motion.

I don't want to run super aggressive negative camber since I mostly drive it on the street
With RE71R, they are so sticky that they are not too sensitive to camber. I run 3.25 on the rear, and use those tires in stock sizes for track work and street driving. The car still hooks up great in a straight line, and it cuts 1.6 60' during pro solos.

For he delay in response, it takes the whole shopping list to reduce it Stiffer swaybars will make a noticeable difference, and then if you wish for more, I would address the damping.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:43 AM
gnoy26 is on a distinguished road
@webspoke

thanks for the reply, i will go camber plates then, what are your thoughts on which ull recommend for stock suspension?

im currently on cup2s, how would you rate them against RE71R?

Old 10-18-2017, 02:25 PM
Roffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant future
@webspoke, thank you so much. I'll get the alignment dialed in, and then look for swaybars. Do you have a brand/sizing you recommend?

@gnoy26 I've read that cup2s are as sticky as RE-71R, but not as good in the rain. Probably also less sticky when cold. You won't get a fair opinion, unless someone's owned BOTH

Old 10-18-2017, 08:15 PM
Tarret would be my go to for sway bars. TPC has good matched sets too, but cost more.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:28 PM
gnoy26 is on a distinguished road
what would you recommend for camber plates with stock suspension for the turbo? there are very few options. the only once i see are elephant and tarrett?

what would you recommend?

Old 10-19-2017, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by gnoy26 View Post
what would you recommend for camber plates with stock suspension for the turbo? there are very few options. the only once i see are elephant and tarrett?

what would you recommend?
I'd suggest Tarrett for best compatibility with the factory struts.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:14 AM
Late start to 2018 season

2018 race season has gotten off to a slow start, as my wife and I have been working on our property and horses (the 1hp versions) mostly. At the last minute decided to dust off warthog , literally, and take him out to the Mineral Wells pro solo which is only about 100mi. from us.

24 launches later, my wife won her class, and I was a moderately close (0.6) 3rd. In the runoff challenge on sunday, I was matched up with a friends well built GTR. He had a .3 dial in head start at the tree, but bogged and was slow out of the box. I was surprised to be close on accel once hooked up, as his car is 800+ wheel when cranked up.

I won that round on the other side by .028s, but redlight the next round

Old 06-07-2018, 07:13 AM
IMI A has a reputation beyond reputeIMI A has a reputation beyond reputeIMI A has a reputation beyond reputeIMI A has a reputation beyond reputeIMI A has a reputation beyond reputeIMI A has a reputation beyond reputeIMI A has a reputation beyond reputeIMI A has a reputation beyond reputeIMI A has a reputation beyond reputeIMI A has a reputation beyond reputeIMI A has a reputation beyond repute
no more vids? keep em coming - well done looks fun

Old 06-13-2018, 07:37 PM
Roffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant futureRoffle Waffle has a brilliant future
well that video cut off abruptly..