997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Build for autocross and track - the Warthog

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 04:37 PM
marzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of light
Pretty cool project, congrats, did the Kline GT2 exhaust fit straight in?
Curious to see those custom camber plates to fit those bad boys ...

Old 02-29-2016, 09:48 PM
Webspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Looks like it's coming right along. Congrats! What is your final ride height measured off the factory points? The front still looks very high, about an inch or so higher than a typical aggressive track set up. What spring rates did you end up going with? I run 1400/1500# Eibach race springs with JRZ pros and find those rates very good, maybe a touch soft for my weight of 3100lbs. 7Cups run 1484/1484 at a weight just over 2600lbs. What is your projected final ready to run weight?
The front is high right now for tire clearance until the camber plates are installed. I will measure this weekend when we get it set. 750/1100 are the spring rates I will try first, they may be soft, as the car will be around 3300 with the weight reductions I'm allowed.

The Kline GT2 exhaust fit really well, some trimming will be required at the bumper surround due to the tip size, but the tip contour fits the bumper shape very well.

Last edited by Webspoke; 02-29-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:18 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
The car looks badass Stan! It's already on my Instagram! We switched to a new double wall design on the tip. Runs cooler and won't brown. Should be OK in there unless it's actually contacting unraveling. I'm here for you if you need anything at all just holler!

Old 03-01-2016, 09:34 PM
Webspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond repute
Just saw this update from Vorshlag, making great progress with the AWD camber plate design, we should have them in the car by the end of the week.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:05 AM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Car looks really mean. I'm loving the gt2 style exhaust

Old 03-09-2016, 03:20 PM
First event this weekend
We are finally recovering from the rush of work to wrap up the final build steps and get warthog to the North Teaxas Autocross series event this weekend.

Vorshlag camber plate prototypes
These were conpleted and installed this week, they lowered the strut shaft into the tower, and increased the range of adjustment. With a separate bearing in the upper spring perch, this weoks very smoothly, and is a key component for big tire fitment. Also, combined with the offset lower arm bushing, we were able to get nearly 4 degrees of negative camber without causing any driveshaft issues.

Final build out and Tuning @ Cobb Plano
The Cobb Plano team then put in marathon sessions on Friday and Saturday to get us ready for the Sunday event. I still don't know how we got everything done, it was after midnight Saturday when the car finally got on the trailer!

The work list was a big one:

RSS roll bar install - This proved to be the toughest job by far, as it had to be coaxed into fitting with ratchet straps and other tricks, after major interior disassembly.

Race seat, OMP wheel, and harness install - The seats we transferred from the cayman

Lightweight battery upgrade - The PC680 (15lbs) we tried did not have enough reserve capacity for the electrical load, so we switched to the PC925 (25lb) in a Rennline mount.

335/30/18 rear tires - since the CCW parts for fitting the 345's were delayed, we got these in (in one day!) thanks to Discount Tire. They are just as wide, but about 1" less diameter, which helps gearing.

Full dyno tune for pump (93) - Dyno chart to come soon, currently at 513/600 in sport mode. We will get familiar with this power level before tuning with more aggressive fuels.

Disabling PASM with Durametric Pro

Rear spring install - we went with 1000# rears to go with the 750# fronts. The new 7" spring length is much better for the range of adjustment needed.

Ride height and corner weight setting - we got within 0.5% perfect (50%) cross weights with driver. We were able to reduce the weight by about 100lbs, but still need to remove the Radio, Nav, CD changer etc. Ride height set for the first event was 106/130, a safe margin for tire clearance.

Full alignment - this was done again after corner weighting.

It all WORKS!
I knew it was a good sign when Su came back smiling after taking the car down some side to bed the pads scuff tires. The event was split into 4 morning and 4 afternoon runs for each driver. We spent the morning runs learning the handling balance and feeling out the power and traction.
The car ran perfectly! Power was very strong and smooth, it was amazing to always have more power available at any point in the run. Oil and water temps were normal, and we just did light sprays of the intercoolers between runs.

The handling was completely neutral, with very progressive under or oversteer as you pushed in those directions. Slalom performance in the fast (40-50mph) slalom was terrific, very sharp and stable under all inputs. Also the car put down the power beautifully, just slight rear wheelspin at the torque/boost peaks, very easy to control.
Hats off to Chris and his suspension setup, I have NEVER had a car with a fresh suspension work this well out of the box, Su and I were both stunned and thrilled. Normally I would thrash and adjust shocks and swaybars, but it was all working so well, we just made small tire pressure adjustments to see how the car responded.

The Big News - the car does NOT feel like an all wheel drive car, and does NOT feel like a rear engine car. It just does everything better than expected.

My best morning run was smooth and uneventful, the car was very easy to drive at 90+% and the surface was warm with good grip.

My best afternoon run while feeling out the limits of grip under power. Then the surface got dusty and slippery in the afternoon as the wind picked up, so a bit more oversteer.

There is an SCCA event at the same site this coming weekend, we can't wait to get back for more seat time

Last edited by Webspoke; 03-09-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:35 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
^3''

Dude you are in charge of that thing Stan! Nice work!

Old 03-09-2016, 07:37 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Looking great!

Old 03-09-2016, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by turbofever
anymore shots of the exhaust installed with the bumper on?

is the exhaust 3.5" ??
This is the 3" exhaust. The tips are a bit bigger, 3.5" I think, but contoured perfectly for the Turbo's bumper. With the 100cpi cats, it is actually not loud at all, more of a deep sound. I will be trying the cat bypass pipes soon.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:01 AM
marzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of light
Did you end up tucking the 285 tire under the fender?
Could try the axle spacers for the extra camber as well,
I'm running 255 tire on 9.5x19 rim and probably there is a room for 265 tire to clear the inner guards but had to push the radiator brackets a little, amazed how you guys can fit the 285 size

Old 03-11-2016, 06:15 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Webspoke
It all WORKS!
I knew it was a good sign when Su came back smiling after taking the car down some side to bed the pads scuff tires. The event was split into 4 morning and 4 afternoon runs for each driver. We spent the morning runs learning the handling balance and feeling out the power and traction.
The car ran perfectly! Power was very strong and smooth, it was amazing to always have more power available at any point in the run. Oil and water temps were normal, and we just did light sprays of the intercoolers between runs.

The handling was completely neutral, with very progressive under or oversteer as you pushed in those directions. Slalom performance in the fast (40-50mph) slalom was terrific, very sharp and stable under all inputs. Also the car put down the power beautifully, just slight rear wheelspin at the torque/boost peaks, very easy to control.
Hats off to Chris and his suspension setup, I have NEVER had a car with a fresh suspension work this well out of the box, Su and I were both stunned and thrilled. Normally I would thrash and adjust shocks and swaybars, but it was all working so well, we just made small tire pressure adjustments to see how the car responded.

The Big News - the car does NOT feel like an all wheel drive car, and does NOT feel like a rear engine car. It just does everything better than expected.

There is an SCCA event at the same site this coming weekend, we can't wait to get back for more seat time
Wow! Nice thread. This has got to be one of the most well done and impressive suspension upgrades I've seen for 997 TT. (VID997's has the other 997TT "star.")

Congrats. Very nice.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:01 PM
Brooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond repute
Awsome thread ..can't wait to see how the car places and how the parts on the oem section hold up also....please keep up the good work and give it extra hard for the porsches

Old 03-12-2016, 02:28 AM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Great vids and first run out. I think you could optimise your race map further to wake your turbos up even more quickly and geo for even less understeer. Looking good and amazing for first run out.

As an aside for that sort of road course larger vtgs or compressor wheels will not help IMO. You need immediate response from your turbos so smaller turbos = better.

Like others I can not understand how your front wheels and rear wheels do not rub the wheel arches - they're so fat!

Old 03-12-2016, 05:39 AM
Originally Posted by 9e 28
Great vids and first run out. I think you could optimise your race map further to wake your turbos up even more quickly and geo for even less understeer. Looking good and amazing for first run out.

As an aside for that sort of road course larger vtgs or compressor wheels will not help IMO. You need immediate response from your turbos so smaller turbos = better.

Like others I can not understand how your front wheels and rear wheels do not rub the wheel arches - they're so fat!
You are spot on with the observations. Chris @ Cobb Plano felt the class rules limiting us to stock turbos were not an issue as response was the goal. Their tuner worked quite a bit on getting the turbos spooled quickly, and did great for pump gas. I think we can do more when we tune for c85 next week.

For the tires, I am going to mount a gopro watching the front fender wells to prove it works . The main compromise is it limits how low I can run the front suspension. We plan to test a small tire (285/335) setup with low ride height, but eventually will just flare the front fenders.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:20 AM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Webspoke
You are spot on with the observations. Chris @ Cobb Plano felt the class rules limiting us to stock turbos were not an issue as response was the goal. Their tuner worked quite a bit on getting the turbos spooled quickly, and did great for pump gas. I think we can do more when we tune for c85 next week.

For the tires, I am going to mount a gopro watching the front fender wells to prove it works . The main compromise is it limits how low I can run the front suspension. We plan to test a small tire (285/335) setup with low ride height, but eventually will just flare the front fenders.
Better fuel will help for sure. I wonder with those sound boxes on your exhaust whether you can perhaps run catless and still be below the sound limit? Your exhaust is very very quiet and removing the cats would be the single biggest difference to better response from your VTGS IMO.

Look forward to hearing what works best re suspension geo and tyre/wheel set up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Build for autocross and track - the Warthog