997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Friday Dyno Fun!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 01:35 PM
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute
Friday Dyno Fun!

So I had a chance to put my car on a dyno on Friday. There aren’t too many places here in DFW that (a) Have a 4WD dyno that you can run the turbo on, and (b) actually know what they are doing and are familiar with these cars. The shop I used was very knowledgeable, and one of the techs there has a 996TT that has been modded extensively.

It’s a Mustang 4WD Dyno, they had to take off the front underside panel in order to access the correct tie-down location. They strapped it down and set a large fan in front, as well as a fan in the back on the engine with the lid open. Two smaller side fans were pointed at the intercooler ducts. My understanding is that the Mustangs typically read slightly lower than other dynos..not sure if that true or not.

As a recap, a few specifics on the car:

07 997.1TT
6MT
UMW tune
Speedtech “sport quiet” exhaust w/ 200 CEL cats
GT2RS intercoolers
Sachs "2.5" 764 clutch kit
New plugs/coils 5K miles ago.
93 octane pumpgas (we get good fuel here in TX)

I previously had a OTS tune from a popular vendor, which seemed ok, but I was intrigued by the idea of custom tuning. I started talking to Kevin in early December and we did a fair amount of data logging so I could see how the old tune was working vs stock. It was interesting to see how the timing and knock retard were very different vs the stock map.. and I learned about the Durametric and its limitations on reporting timing retard and sample rates. The more data I saw the more I wanted to know about what the numbers mean. I also used datazap.me to plot various parameters while playing with the logger tool. Certainly not necessary, but I love to get my hands dirty in the data
With Kevin’s tool you get 25 samples/second and can see timing and retard by cylinder, along with all the other good data. And it's much easier than using a laptop in the car.

So during this process we uncovered a few issues, it seemed my lambda was a little sluggish so I put in a new set of wideband O2 sensors, and also I fixed a few minor boost leaks, and also found and fixed the “blown-off” FPR pressure line.. (I tie-wrapped it.) All was accomplished by Kevin looking at logs and me poking around the car on the lift in my garage.

Once we got all this sorted out then I loaded the new tune and did some more logging to make sure things were in line..

They did 2 pulls, both in 4th gear sport mode, the best was the second run at 520awhp and 582awtq. These are weather corrected numbers (which I believe is pretty much standard). The shop has a weather station that provided the data to the dyno.

I noticed on the dyno computer screen the graph was smooth, but when they printed it out for me it was a little more jagged; my printout has no smoothing applied (Filter value=1) which is I believe why it’s that way.. some shops will apply a filter value that smooths out the edges on the print.

I datalogged both runs.. boost maxed very briefly at 1.39bar but was mostly in the 1.1 - 1.2 range and dropping slightly at the higher RPM.. timing retard was good, not too high and overall timing was steady and didn’t jump around (unlike the OTS tune I had), my lambdas look good and crisp (.84 to .86 at full load).. My first run started and ended with high IATs (36C) but they did drop a fair amount during the run itself.. The shop didn’t get the intercooler fans setup until just before the test, so that I'm sure is why.. the car sat warming up for a while. Second run started with IATs at 28C. Clearly the fans are no match to the real airflow while driving at >60MPH..

The key here is to have a good custom tune that leaves a margin for the "uh-ohs" and is not on the ragged edge.. That’s what I wanted.

A few pics and the dyno report from the 2nd run, as well as a video I took. Not that great of a video, I had to stand in the observation room and watch thru the glass.

Overall, I’m very pleased, and Kevin’s customer support is top notch. I know the dyno reports aren't worth much but I now have a baseline for any future mods.

Name:  dyno1_zpsarpvwgnn.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  115.2 KB

Name:  dyno2_zps01tvvs2z.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  190.0 KB

Name:  dyno3_zpsxhufpzwy.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  125.6 KB

Name:  dynoplot2_zpsrc9nhlar.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  dynoplot1_zpsjdlq0fuv.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  74.9 KB

For whatever reason I cant figure out how to embed the video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cfJ...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by saabin; 01-16-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:35 PM
SaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really nice
Dealt with Kevin for many years. Your in good hands.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:45 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Kevin knows his shiat and consistently seem to produce very very strong, and SAFE numbers. You can be confident you are getting the highest output tune without compromising safety. Your numbers on a mustang are impressive. It would be about 5% higher on a dynojet. Why did the dyno run cut off at 6200 rpm? I would imagine Kevins tune gives you a 7000 cut off. On the dyno I always run mine to the limiter at 7500 to see how it's doing up top.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 01-17-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:46 PM
Integral will become famous soon enough
very impressive numbers. have fun w/ that!

93 GOOD octane...i'm so jealous. (california gas is borderline water). it's so funny what 500awhp sounds like in these cars...my ~400whp single turbo rotary rx7 sounded like all hell being let loose, these things are just like "sup, 500hp...let's roll."

Old 01-16-2016, 05:34 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Nice Saabin! You got me beat and I'm running E85, custom tune and various extra crap.

I'm not to familiar with Dynos but, is there a huge difference regarding numbers with an AWD dyno and a two wheel?

Old 01-17-2016, 05:57 PM
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Kevin knows his shiat and consistently seem to produce very very strong, and SAFE numbers. You can be confident you are getting the highest output tune without compromising safety. Your numbers on a mustang are impressive. It would be about 5% higher on a dynojet. Why did the dyno run cut off at 6200 rpm? I would imagine Kevins tune gives you a 7000 cut off. On the dyno I always run mine to the limiter at 7500 to see how it's doing up top.
Thanks..it looks like when they did the printout they didn't get the full x axis; looking at my logs they went to almost 6600. The tech did say they generally don't like to go over 130mph on it..

Originally Posted by Integral
very impressive numbers. have fun w/ that!

93 GOOD octane...i'm so jealous. (california gas is borderline water). it's so funny what 500awhp sounds like in these cars...my ~400whp single turbo rotary rx7 sounded like all hell being let loose, these things are just like "sup, 500hp...let's roll."
Yeah, and I have a place 30 miles away where I can get both 100 and 110 octane unleaded..

I shoulda done one of the videos outside the viewing room so I could get a more "unfiltered" effect

Originally Posted by elite1
Nice Saabin! You got me beat and I'm running E85, custom tune and various extra crap.

I'm not to familiar with Dynos but, is there a huge difference regarding numbers with an AWD dyno and a two wheel?
Thanks, not sure about the diff between 2wd vs awd, but I would imagine there might be slightly higher losses for awd due to the front diff..

Old 01-23-2016, 03:54 AM
Redwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond repute

wait your running e85 and your running less hp?

Old 01-23-2016, 06:21 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Redwine702
wait your running e85 and your running less hp?
Correct! Last dyno I was at 518WHP.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:25 PM
Redwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond repute
Correct! Last dyno I was at 518WHP.
Holy **** that's depressing

Old 01-23-2016, 08:16 PM
Holy **** that's depressing
Sure is. Guess I need a street tune outside my track tune.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:26 PM
Sure is. Guess I need a street tune outside my track tune.
My bad for some reason I thought you were running E85 ok that's not depressing

Old 01-23-2016, 09:16 PM
My bad for some reason I thought you were running E85 ok that's not depressing
lol, I am dude!

Your an emotional roller coaster!

Old 01-23-2016, 09:19 PM
lol, I am dude! Your an emotional roller coaster!
Lol it's depressing because I'm getting it done and it better do more than 518!

Old 01-23-2016, 09:27 PM
Good luck! I was fortunate enough to have Mitch and John (Cobb) tune mine on the dyno.

Remember, dynos are all different. I was on a Dyno Dynamics which I know nothing about.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:59 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Mustang dynos don't really read low. It's just that Dynojets are very optimistic and read higher . 5-10% more on a dynojet wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

Looks good, what was used to tune the car?

You could probably benefit from some inlet pipes now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Friday Dyno Fun!