997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Durametric Enthusiast worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 12:58 PM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Durametric Enthusiast worth it?

I just bought a Durametric enthusiast cable and downloaded the software,.. and it doesn't seem to be able to actually DO anything (except perhaps read codes, which my Cobb Accesport can do).

Am I missing something?

I wanted to switch the PASM to "Uninstalled" in Gateway,.. but there are no user select-able options that I can find in there.

And reset the Service indicator. Can't see any way of doing that.

And eliminate the code for the crono-graph not being plugged in.

And switch off the seat-belt chime.

Etc, etc, etc.

Did I just waste a few hundred bucks buying this cable?

Old 07-12-2017, 07:59 PM
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Duckstu

Did I just waste a few hundred bucks buying this cable?
Maybe..

I have the enthusiast version (v 6.3.2.5) , and I have been able to turn off the service reminder and reset the airbag fault light (turned on car with pass seat removed.)

Its been a while since I did these, so I dont recall exactly how to do it, but I figured it out after a few minutes in the menu..

I think you need the Pro version to do some of the more serious programming (i.e. PASM, delete spoiler, etc.) However, I am not certain about this.. someone will likely chime in that knows for sure..

Old 07-12-2017, 10:43 PM
TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !
Yes, its functionality is limited and you can only use it against 3 VINs total. Good news is that you can resell (if you want) for $200+.

I think it is a good tool to have around, but if I had a Cobb AP I am not sure I would use it for much other than turning off/resetting codes.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:58 AM
Rat3d M is an unknown quantity at this point
IMO the enthusiast cable is the most overpriced piece of junk out there. It does everything my Accessport does (read error codes). To my understanding, you cannot do any coding, or even reset the service light with it. Waste of money. Ill be spending the extra money on the Pro cable, which in my opinion is also overpriced, but it is what it is.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:44 AM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Wow,.. OK.

People on this board are always saying Durametric this and Durametric that. Always sounded like it was useful. Never heard people admit it was useless.

Ok,.. anyone want to buy a useless Durametric cable? Only used once.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:45 AM
Skwerl will become famous soon enoughSkwerl will become famous soon enough
It's probably redundant if you already have a Cobb that can read/display/clear faults, but otherwise I think there's value in them for the DIYer so you can monitor and see what's going on.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:49 AM
Yes. But much harder to use than the Cobb,.. and you have to haul a lap-top around with you.

I wonder if it does anything more than the $100 Actron code scanner I bought on Amazon (also avail at Autozone) ?

I have one like this,.. and it reads codes (and tells you in detail what the code means),.. doesn't require external power, and easily fits in your glove-box. No lap-top required.

Last edited by Duckstu; 07-13-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:24 AM
austx911 will become famous soon enoughaustx911 will become famous soon enough
Cobb doesn't give you OEM codes. It gives you a coded translation and is pretty useless for troubleshooting codes.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:31 AM
darkhorse1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am about to buy the durametric enthusiast. While these reviews look bad, I thought the big difference is that this reads and provides Porsche fault codes and also provides live data (like a watered down Piwis).
Is this correct? the Snapon OBD2 scanner I have used is a bit useless with the fault codes it finds and doesn't find any meaningful ones that I am positive are there, and that PIWIS would find ( and hopefully durametric)

I am not bothered about coding modules etc, I just want live data and full porsche code scanning!
thanks

Last edited by darkhorse1; 03-25-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:06 AM
o7silverturbo is an unknown quantity at this point
get the autel scanner(not code reader) its like 1100 bucks and worth every penny

can do everything you will ever need and gives factory codes so its it easier to diag issues.

live data, read and erase, over-rated reports (over-revs) etc

Last edited by o7silverturbo; 03-25-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:33 AM
darkhorse1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks, saw this a bit late! But the Durametric is excellent. Im very happy with it. It gives all the P codes, reads live data, does everything I need except programming which needs Piwis anyway I think, thats next on the list!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.