997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Attn: COBB... PDK tuning on COBB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 05:21 PM
urbanscribe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Whosdady
I’m still on stock turbos and I’m trying not to add meth, but otherwise fully modded. I don’t have any issues with holding/clamping force of the pdk. I would be surprised if any turbo S guys without meth had any shifting issues either.

With that being said, it would be great if you purchased it. I would like to get another turbo S review. If the cost was half what they are asking, I would purchase it. But for the benefit in “normal” mode, it just doesn’t make sense. Maybe Cobb should offer a discount for us turbo S guys...
Cobb needs to identify 10-20 beta users who will buy at deep discount at launch and review. Number one through five reason to buy their tunes is reading other drivers experience with the tune. Why they don't do that is beyond me. Wait six months to a year of slow sales waiting for customers to review is such a business sin. No journalist or bloggers reviewing this stuff. If they are confident in the product they should. Sam can even organize.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:55 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Sam, I keep hearing you and others refer to the "Re-learn". What exactly is that and what's it consist of??
Sorry for dumb question. Still learning about the tuning / tranny tuning thing.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Big Swole
Sam, I keep hearing you and others refer to the "Re-learn". What exactly is that and what's it consist of??
Sorry for dumb question. Still learning about the tuning / tranny tuning thing.
About to write the same.
Have heard that a relearn is necessary each time you apply or remove the PDK tune.
Can u elaborate on what the value of a Relearn (one of the features of the Cobb tune) in and of itself.
TIA

Old 05-27-2018, 07:31 PM
Thanks.

So the idea is that this recalibration with make shifts smoother, less clunky?
Or is it relearning when to predict the next gear?

Trying to figure out what the most noticeable difference will be

Also how long to see the effects/to calibrate?

Old 05-27-2018, 07:38 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Sounds like something I need in my Life!! lol
I doubt mines been through a re-learn. It has 31K miles

Old 05-27-2018, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Yes. It makes everything as perfect as possible with any given clutch/fluid/valve-body condition. Takes 15-20 minutes and it's complete. Best way to describe it is literally "calibration". There is a lot going on to make the PDK do what it does and the software is insane. I did a LOT with this (more than I would like haha) testing with Dodson Motorsport and we even had some Porsche help. It was pretty critical and Cobb came to the rescue. Lots of development on it around late 2016 and into the Pikes Peak season with Porsche Colorado Springs and David Donahue on our By Design Stage 4 991TTS.

Years ago several guys running big power 997.2's were slipping and did re-learn to help and it did but still could not hold until now with the increase clamping pressure. that is another feature of the software upgrade.
So everything you quoted me the other night on text (when you confused me with your other "Swole" buddies...lol ) comes with that package? Meaning the Re-Learn also??

Old 05-27-2018, 09:45 PM
djillusion has a spectacular aura aboutdjillusion has a spectacular aura about
FWIW - i did not perform a PDK re-learn when i got the software and performed the flash.

my 997.2 turbo (non-s) has 15K miles on it, thus didnt feel it was necessary. i don't have any personal experience with doing it though i believe the process requires a foot on the brake pedal during the ~10-15 min re-calibration.

nonetheless, as Sam said the calibration process is available via the COBB AP, so it should not be a challenge to get done if needed.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:19 AM
djillusion has a spectacular aura aboutdjillusion has a spectacular aura about

Good point, Sam. I flashed in the ‘sport’ map which was the least aggressive PDK map available, IIRC.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:17 AM
4flynlow is on a distinguished road
I am on board

I spoke to Charles at BBI and he highly recommends this PDK tune. I have just dropped my 2012 TTS cabriolet off at BBI for a 60K service as well as this tune.
I will advise the group of my findings.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:42 AM
Whosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 4flynlow
I spoke to Charles at BBI and he highly recommends this PDK tune. I have just dropped my 2012 TTS cabriolet off at BBI for a 60K service as well as this tune.
I will advise the group of my findings.
Looking forward to hearing a review from another TTS owner... Unless your pdk is slipping due to high hp/tq output, then I would temper expectations.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:55 PM
4flynlow is on a distinguished road
I wanted to update this group on my findings.
I installed the Cobb PDK tune at the same time I did the 60 K service on my 2012 997.2 TTS which included servicing the PDK. BBI also found a boost hose leaking and corrected that at the same time.
The car drives like a different car and the shifting is definitely smoother and quicker and the car is scary fast!
I trust the guys at BBI and they highly recommend the tune.
With the shifting tune I now have the same shifting as the 991 and I am very happy with the car!

Old 07-18-2018, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by 4flynlow
I wanted to update this group on my findings.
I installed the Cobb PDK tune at the same time I did the 60 K service on my 2012 997.2 TTS which included servicing the PDK. BBI also found a boost hose leaking and corrected that at the same time.
The car drives like a different car and the shifting is definitely smoother and quicker and the car is scary fast!
I trust the guys at BBI and they highly recommend the tune.
With the shifting tune I now have the same shifting as the 991 and I am very happy with the car!

Which PDK shifting selection did you choose and are you referring to?

Old 07-23-2018, 04:01 PM
3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !
The reverse lever direction I couldn't find in the setting or any of the tunes!

Clutch dump also was advertised if I recall.. not there too

Unless it's just me who's not able to find them?!

Old 07-23-2018, 08:26 PM
Southpaw07 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw07 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw07 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 3llooi
The reverse lever direction I couldn't find in the setting or any of the tunes!

Clutch dump also was advertised if I recall.. not there too

Unless it's just me who's not able to find them?!
What he said ^. I haven't heard anything about these features since it was first advertised.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:31 AM
Well, I just had someone else tell me that they're NOT happy with the PDK tune and described it as being rough and jerking. Although they did say it was a bit faster.

Yet, some love it and say it's smoother / faster.

I wonder why some love it and some don't. Is it the personal perspective or could the tune just be reacting to each car differently?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.