997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Attn: COBB... PDK tuning on COBB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 10:29 AM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hey Big,

.Or your money back
That's a pretty hard statement to argue against...lol

Thanks for chiming in again Sam!

I'm still on the fence and waiting for my quote on my garage build. Then will know more on if I'll tune or not. Thank you.
Just wanted more feed back in the mean time to decide on pdk or not (just tune).

Old 08-15-2018, 09:27 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
Is it possible to get the Cobb PDK tune and not lose my Sportec engine tune?

Walt

Old 08-16-2018, 02:46 AM
Basic Sponsor
Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WaltB
Is it possible to get the Cobb PDK tune and not lose my Sportec engine tune?

Walt
Hello Walt,

During installation of AP to your vehicle, AP will ask you if you want to save your current ECU software, you will just click ''yes;;, so AP will back up your Sportec tune.

You can install and try Cobb AP with our custom maps as well, when you un-install it, it will automatically install your sportec tune back.

I do all the tuning my self and tuned hundereds of these cars. I'm pretty sure we can do a much better map using AP and datalogging.

Let me know if you have any questions please.

Cheers.
Emre

100-200km/h: 2.16 sec
200-300km/h: 3.43 sec
60-130mph: 2.52 sec
100-150mph: 2.19 sec
Email: emre@esmotor.com.tr
Web: http://www.esmotor.com.tr
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/esmotor
Old 08-17-2018, 03:15 PM
Whosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the rough
So I wanted to post an update to my issues with the pdk tune.

I called Cobb and spoke with Ally(sp) since I was getting multiple (B and U) codes with my bump/slip/jerk shifting. Ally said the reason I was having issues was two or three fold.
1) The voltage was not high enough during the flash. (I used a 10 amp battery tender and that was not enough) I bumped it up to 50 amp when I redid the process. So even though the cobb AP unit said it was successful, it wasn't.
2) When the cobb unit says to wait 10-15 seconds, it means 60 seconds. Don't take any hard pulls after you do the flash. Drive slowly for the first day and then the next day go WOT.
3) Ally said the relearn function was only used if going to a high tq protune flash. Or if you are going back to stock after flashing to a pdk tune. She said if you use it for any other reasons. (Like I did with mine, going to an aggressive pdk tune from stock. You will have issues.) So the idea of this helping your tranny shift better is false as advertised by some on this forum. Unless of course you go to a custom pdk tune or back to stock.

With that being said, my car is shifting much better. For others that had these issues, I would suggest doing what I was told to do above. Thank you to cobb and Ally for walking me through these issues...

Last edited by Whosdady; 08-17-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:39 PM
djillusion has a spectacular aura aboutdjillusion has a spectacular aura about
Good to hear.

FYI - I didn’t do the PDK relearn and haven’t had any issues to note off.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:16 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Whosdady
So I wanted to post an update to my issues with the pdk tune.

I called Cobb and spoke with Ally(sp) since I was getting multiple (B and U) codes with my bump/slip/jerk shifting. Ally said the reason I was having issues was two or three fold.
1) The voltage was not high enough during the flash. (I used a 10 amp battery tender and that was not enough) I bumped it up to 50 amp when I redid the process. So even though the cobb AP unit said it was successful, it wasn't.
2) When the cobb unit says to wait 10-15 seconds, it means 60 seconds. Don't take any hard pulls after you do the flash. Drive slowly for the first day and then the next day go WOT.
3) Ally said the relearn function was only used if going to a high tq protune flash. Or if you are going back to stock after flashing to a pdk tune. She said if you use it for any other reasons. (Like I did with mine, going to an aggressive pdk tune from stock. You will have issues.) So the idea of this helping your tranny shift better is false as advertised by some on this forum. Unless of course you go to a custom pdk tune or back to stock.

With that being said, my car is shifting much better. For others that had these issues, I would suggest doing what I was told to do above. Thank you to cobb and Ally for walking me through these issues...

So, you Would or would not recommend the PDK tune for someone like me thinking of buying tuning soon (Stock Turbo S with only a Europipe Exhaust)?

And, you're saying we should NOT do relearn for any reason other than going to / from the most aggressive tune?

What setting do you have it on now?

I'm just still trying to get all the info I can on it prior to buying a Cobb AP and tuning.

I'm going to have my Porsche dealer do a PDK service before I mod / tune the car, regardless of whether I get the PDK tuning or not. I think I read that on Cobb's website, that they recommend a pdk service before adding tuning of any kind.

Thank you for the update and for asking my questions above.

Last edited by Big Swole; 08-17-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:15 PM
3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Emre@Esmotor
Hello Walt,

During installation of AP to your vehicle, AP will ask you if you want to save your current ECU software, you will just click ''yes;;, so AP will back up your Sportec tune.

You can install and try Cobb AP with our custom maps as well, when you un-install it, it will automatically install your sportec tune back.

I do all the tuning my self and tuned hundereds of these cars. I'm pretty sure we can do a much better map using AP and datalogging.

Let me know if you have any questions please.

Cheers.
Emre

Hey Emre

Any news from COBB letting you as a tuner do custom PDK tunes too?

Old 08-17-2018, 07:10 PM
Whosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Big Swole
So, you Would or would not recommend the PDK tune for someone like me thinking of buying tuning soon (Stock Turbo S with only a Europipe Exhaust)?

And, you're saying we should NOT do relearn for any reason other than going to / from the most aggressive tune?

What setting do you have it on now?

I'm just still trying to get all the info I can on it prior to buying a Cobb AP and tuning.

I'm going to have my Porsche dealer do a PDK service before I mod / tune the car, regardless of whether I get the PDK tuning or not. I think I read that on Cobb's website, that they recommend a pdk service before adding tuning of any kind.

Thank you for the update and for asking my questions above.
I have the aggressive pdk tune. If I installed the sport tune, I’m not sure I would have noticed much of a difference from the stock turbo S Tune in sport mode?

I think if you were going for big power you may benefit more with the pdk tune. I would go with the basic motor tune. Then once you have gotten used to it, add the pdk tune.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Whosdady

I have the aggressive pdk tune. If I installed the sport tune, I’m not sure I would have noticed much of a difference from the stock turbo S Tune in sport mode?

I think if you were going for big power you may benefit more with the pdk tune. I would go with the basic motor tune. Then once you have gotten used to it, add the pdk tune.
Thanks...Been thinking that may be my best move for now too.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:34 AM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
Will this PDK tune eliminate the slight hesitation that happens When accelerating from a stop
When in launch control mode there is no hesitation

Old 08-20-2018, 06:50 AM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
By the way this hesitation happens in normal sport and sport plus mode’s

Old 11-23-2018, 02:17 PM
Too good of a deal to pass up. Less than 1/2 retail and even less than half of the black friday discount on cobb or Suncoast (Second hand and in like new condition. I just had to update the firmware)

Loaded the Stg. 2- 93 Oct. OTS tune. NICE little bump in power for sure. Feels a bit smoother as well.

I think now I need to opt. for the PDK tune and call it Good!!

Anybody have any experience with the PDK tunes and which setting to go with on the Stg. 2 OTS tune? Sport vs. Aggressive (that adds everything sport has, plus quicker up / down shifts)??

Is relearn recommended for just the Aggressive? (according to Cobb)

Don't think I'm anywhere near or will be near the recommended added power for the "High Torque" setting.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Well i got to drive my car today with the PDK "Sport" tune. I Really like the shift strategy of it!! Even seemed a bit smoother as well.

After driving it a bit and getting it up to temp, I did the "Relearn" procedure. Interesting things the car does (sounds, raised rpm's, clunks, etc.) while doing it though.

The drive afterwards seems bit "rougher" at first. Seems like after I put a few miles on it in "sport mode" and in "normal" mode, that it smoothed out a bit. I'm sure since the tolerances were adjusted (tightening things up a bit), that it'll take some time to learn and get completely adjusted.

Secondly, I tried the COBB Stg. 3 - 93 Octane tune.... My car instantly did not like it. Seemed rough and missing a bit. I guess the 3 bar MAP sensors are a MUST for this tune. I immediately switched back to the Stage 2 - 93 Octane OTS tune. MUCH smoother and better running.

I still need to get more miles on it with the tune and PDK tune to get a full review of it, but I'd say buying the PDK tune from SambyDesign was a good move. Now I know why he told me to try the "sport" pdk tune first. The "Aggressive" pdk mode is supposed to hold the gears even longer in each gear. I think that'd be bit too much RPM in each gear for street driving ( Like driving around in Sport Plus was on stock software).

Old 11-27-2018, 07:00 PM
djillusion has a spectacular aura aboutdjillusion has a spectacular aura about
nice to hear! glad you got some seat time with it.

i see no need to run the COBB Stage 3 engine map. Stage 2 was plenty enough for me (and street driving) and from what COBB said to me, it was designed for upgraded exhaust and ICs. Stage 3 was more for throwing on headers, bigger injectors and maybe even bigger turbos (not 100% sure on the turbos). boost builds and holds great on the Stage 2 map, so i would keep it there too. i'll plug for bigger ICs (again) since IATs are bound to go up with the tune which may pull timing (ie power). so, this is where i wanted the engine to breath better and keep IATs cooler on spirited drives.

onto the PDK map - i didn't do the re-learn but i did hear that the car was going to do some interesting things including jerking a bit here and there. seems par for the course if that PDK procedure is done. good to hear you think the Sport mode fits your bill for now (as mentioned, it does for me!). esp with the Turbo S, the other posts were lukewarm on what the Turbo S would be like with the Sport PDK map and it not doing much. did you get to run into Sport Plus mode at higher RPMs? that's where the upgraded PDK map really really really shines!

once i get oil temps up, i put it into Sport mode and enjoy the car 95% of the time there. only when im in the mood to really push it, i got into Sport Plus mode and that is bound to get me in trouble with the cops sooner or later.

get some more seat time and enjoy it. Sam was great to deal with & happy to see you got the same experience.

Last edited by djillusion; 11-27-2018 at 07:09 PM. Reason: added words
Old 11-27-2018, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by djillusion
nice to hear! glad you got some seat time with it.

i see no need to run the COBB Stage 3 engine map. Stage 2 was plenty enough for me (and street driving) and from what COBB said to me, it was designed for upgraded exhaust and ICs. Stage 3 was more for throwing on headers, bigger injectors and maybe even bigger turbos (not 100% sure on the turbos). boost builds and holds great on the Stage 2 map, so i would keep it there too. i'll plug for bigger ICs (again) since IATs are bound to go up with the tune which may pull timing (ie power). so, this is where i wanted the engine to breath better and keep IATs cooler on spirited drives.

onto the PDK map - i didn't do the re-learn but i did hear that the car was going to do some interesting things including jerking a bit here and there. seems par for the course if that PDK procedure is done. good to hear you think the Sport mode fits your bill for now (as mentioned, it does for me!). esp with the Turbo S, the other posts were lukewarm on what the Turbo S would be like with the Sport PDK map and it not doing much. did you get to run into Sport Plus mode at higher RPMs? that's where the upgraded PDK map really really really shines!

once i get oil temps up, i put it into Sport mode and enjoy the car 95% of the time there. only when im in the mood to really push it, i got into Sport Plus mode and that is bound to get me in trouble with the cops sooner or later.

get some more seat time and enjoy it. Sam was great to deal with & happy to see you got the same experience.

Thank you Sir!!

I didn't use "Sport Plus" tonight since I was driving around town and only have a few short straights here and then. Sport Plus is so aggressive with holding gears into the RPM's that I rarely ever use it unless I'm in the mountains on REALLY curvy roads and I'm trying to keep up with my friend in his 15' ZO6. Even then, I stay in "manual" mode and use the paddles to do my own shifting most of the time.

I could see using Sport Plus on the track for sure though. I hear that it knows better than "we " do for shift strategy on track. Until I learned the track, I'd use Sport Plus and then move to manual mode for more fun with the paddles. BUT, track days aren't in my future due to the funds it would take to keep it up (tires / brakes, etc). I'd go broke from trying to do them all the time!! lol I used to do track days on my sport bikes. SO much fun!

Anyway, I think it was well worth the money and am happy I made the choice to do so. I think it's exactly where I need it now. Probably won't do anything else to it. Keep it safe and reliable

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.