Change coils when changing spark plugs? - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change coils when changing spark plugs?

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 05-17-2018, 03:54 PM
CodeBlue911's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 105
Rep Power: 10
CodeBlue911 is on a distinguished road
Change coils when changing spark plugs?

I’m getting my dealer to change my spark plugs for the first time. My 2011 Turbo S has 22,000 miles.
Just doing regular maintainence.

Should I have them change the coils while they’re there? Is it much easier now vs later?

thanks!
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-18-2018, 09:09 AM
Duckstu's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 284
Rep Power: 24
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Changing plugs is a major job. Pull the bumper cover,.. remove inter-cooler assemblies,.. remove th cats, remove the turbos (which being water-cooled involves opening the coolant system and re-filling later),.. remove some heat-shields, etc, etc. A great DIY might still mean 6 hours labor. Not sure if having done lots of them and special tools cuts it down to 4 or whatever for a shop.

I had a top indy shop do it and they didn't change one of the coils I bought,.. perhaps not that plug either (front passenger side). (Guess they just kept my 6th new coil?) Found out a year later when I switched plug heat-ranges and had to order a coil. Which added days to the job.

The coil-packs are on the plug,... so they will come off in the process. So changing them would add roughly zero minutes to the job.

On the earlier cars (2006-2009 ish,.. the coils were prone to cracking,.. so the answer to your question would be 1000 % YES.

Not sure at what point the cars got the updated coils right from the factory. Yours may be fine. So you'd want to ask your tech if it's an issue on your year. If in doubt though,......
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM
Johnny DB's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,042
Rep Power: 131
Johnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Duckstu View Post
Changing plugs is a major job. Pull the bumper cover,.. remove inter-cooler assemblies,.. remove th cats, remove the turbos (which being water-cooled involves opening the coolant system and re-filling later),.. remove some heat-shields, etc, etc. A great DIY might still mean 6 hours labor. Not sure if having done lots of them and special tools cuts it down to 4 or whatever for a shop.
I had a top indy shop do it and they didn't change one of the coils I bought,.. perhaps not that plug either (front passenger side). (Guess they just kept my 6th new coil?) Found out a year later when I switched plug heat-ranges and had to order a coil. Which added days to the job.

The coil-packs are on the plug,... so they will come off in the process. So changing them would add roughly zero minutes to the job.

On the earlier cars (2006-2009 ish,.. the coils were prone to cracking,.. so the answer to your question would be 1000 % YES.

Not sure at what point the cars got the updated coils right from the factory. Yours may be fine. So you'd want to ask your tech if it's an issue on your year. If in doubt though,......

I'm guessing from the other thread you know why they didn't change that one coil
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM
Duckstu's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 284
Rep Power: 24
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Johnny DB View Post
I'm guessing from the other thread you know why they didn't change that one coil

Not really.

There was plenty of space in there. I didn't cut or grind anything when I put it in.

And I did them with the engine in the car. When my indy was doing the job,.. the engine was out for a number of upgrades.

Should have been a piece of cake.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM
Johnny DB's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,042
Rep Power: 131
Johnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Duckstu View Post
Not really.

There was plenty of space in there. I didn't cut or grind anything when I put it in.

And I did them with the engine in the car. When my indy was doing the job,.. the engine was out for a number of upgrades.

Should have been a piece of cake.
Oh wow! So you didn't run into the problem Hans described?
 
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
barncobob
997
13
07-13-2015 05:35 PM
AnakChan
996
13
08-29-2014 04:03 PM
Jay Jones
997
11
12-17-2010 10:50 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: