997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cobb: New owner looking for guidance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 12:48 PM
lflouie is on a distinguished road
Cobb: New owner looking for guidance

I recently purchased my first Porsche (2007 tt, 6spd with locking dif/axle) considering a few upgrades and would appreciate feedback/input from the user community. First off it is a stunning car, love what it does and how it handles. After speaking with mechanic that inspected and serviced the car, I asked whether there was anything I could do to it to make it a more enjoyable driving experience...... he said a stage 1 tune and maybe the DSC controller. I will never track the car, I'm not looking for "power number bragging rights", I will never launch the car but I will drive aggressively in the mtns and twisty backroads of TN, NC, SC. What I'm looking for from a tune is better low to mid range torque, improved drivability, as well as safe and trouble free tune. I've owned a number of cars that have been tuned (OTS and custom maps) using the Cobb AP, and for the most part been very pleased. As I look at the Porsche Cobb situation, it looks like there are differing opinions regarding the effectiveness of the Cobb OTS maps...but the stage 1 OTS maps get good reviews. I also see that tuners offer custom maps via the Cobb AP...but uncertain that for stage 1 tune that a semi or custom tune is needed vs the Cobb OTS stage 1.

Would appreciate inputs and suggestions regarding the Cobb approach, suggested Cobb based tuners or other solutions for a weekends only car that will never be tracked.

Thx

Old 12-04-2018, 08:59 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
DSC is a MUST!!

OTS tune runs well on the Cobb AP. Custom tune will net you a few more HP. Up to you to decide if spending the extra on custom tuning is worth the little extra.

Here a quick vid I made of installing my DSC. Easy 9-10 min. job. Order one immediately! Trust me.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by Big Swole
DSC is a MUST!!

OTS tune runs well on the Cobb AP. Custom tune will net you a few more HP. Up to you to decide if spending the extra on custom tuning is worth the little extra.

Here a quick vid I made of installing my DSC. Easy 9-10 min. job. Order one immediately! Trust me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4_KPY-PbL0
Ragrading the Cobb OTS stage I tune, i've seen some charts that show a fair amount of timing correction (knock retard) creating a wavy chart indicating a poor match btwn the OTS tune and ECU. Previously when I bought a Cobb AP, the seller/tuner would either have me run a pull on the OTS or if they supplied their "base" tune on their tune to ensure that the tune/ECU were working well. Usually I only took 1 or 2 logs and emailed corrections to ensure a proper setup. Those tuners either charged a minimal fee ($50-150) or none at all for the initial "dial-in". Does anyone know of a good tuner that provides this for stage I Cobb tune on a stock 997.1tt?

Regarding the DSC, I'VE read mixed feedback on the DSC. Like yourself, many owners recommend just installing it and with good results. Some others have commented that the OTS programming is a little too soft and can be floaty at higher speeds, resulting in additional changes to OTS prgramming. What was your experience with the DSC setup?

Old 12-05-2018, 07:35 AM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lflouie
Ragrading the Cobb OTS stage I tune, i've seen some charts that show a fair amount of timing correction (knock retard) creating a wavy chart indicating a poor match btwn the OTS tune and ECU. Previously when I bought a Cobb AP, the seller/tuner would either have me run a pull on the OTS or if they supplied their "base" tune on their tune to ensure that the tune/ECU were working well. Usually I only took 1 or 2 logs and emailed corrections to ensure a proper setup. Those tuners either charged a minimal fee ($50-150) or none at all for the initial "dial-in". Does anyone know of a good tuner that provides this for stage I Cobb tune on a stock 997.1tt?

Regarding the DSC, I'VE read mixed feedback on the DSC. Like yourself, many owners recommend just installing it and with good results. Some others have commented that the OTS programming is a little too soft and can be floaty at higher speeds, resulting in additional changes to OTS prgramming. What was your experience with the DSC setup?
Well on my 997.2TTS (so far), my OTS stg. 2 tune runs great. I've not seen logs or anything. Your .1 may have different results.

As for the DSC, for my driving needs, it made a good enough change for me to be happy with the money spent. If I were to start tracking, maybe I'd want to have it tweaked, but until I see a need, I'm good with it.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hi,

I can vouch that the DSC and Cobb AP are both great products that are very loved. With the 997TT and tuning we have seen that some variance in the way that they react to tuning. These cars are getting a little older and they are quite sensitive for various reasons so results can vary. With good support and guidance you can achieve great results. My friends at Cobb are awesome with support and if I can help in any way feel free to reach out so together we can help you get the most out of your car!
Thx for your offer and feedack. How would I go about finding someone to check my data logs..any thoughts/guidance is appreciated.

Do you have a DSC? Where did you get yours? Same question on Cobb AP.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:19 PM
Cheers,
I am a strong or actually I think largest supplier for both I will gladly support you and the products with a full guarantee and full support. Just reach out and I/we got you.
Pm'd

Old 12-06-2018, 11:24 AM
usrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to behold
Cheers,
I am a strong or actually I think largest supplier for both I will gladly support you and the products with a full guarantee and full support. Just reach out and I/we got you.
Sam is the best...he deserves the Gold medal of tuning these TT beasts.