997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Front axle issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 09:43 AM
first.last is an unknown quantity at this point
Front axle issue

Hey everyone,

Having an interesting problem. I recently replaced my front driver side axle with an OEM axle assembly due to a blown CV joint. A few months later I lift up the car and notice axle grease around the inner joint. So the brand new axle/joint was a dud...unlucky. But looking at it I see that the boot is not ripped or torn and the grease seems to be coming out of the edge of the boot in the weird pattern you see below. There’s a line of grease coming out in between every pair of bolts (there’s a third grease line behind the boot not pictured). I don’t imagine Porsche would assemble an axle with a loose boot but who knows.

Before I go rebuilding the joint that’s only a few months old, is there something else that could cause this I should look at? Or anyone seen something like this? Maybe some kind of balance issue? Suspension was recently aligned as well and there’s doesn’t seem to be any play in the flange that inserts in to the diff.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:44 PM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
That is really strange.

1. Inner boots fail less often then outers, typically, though my Audi C6 S6 has had both inners fail without outers failing (one at about 130K miles and the other at 170K miles, on my C4 S6 it is always the outers and never the inners). In all cases of inner boot failure, it was the first fold in the boot that had given up and grease was everywhere.
2. I have never seen anything like your picture. The uniformity of those grease lines is perplexing. Some issue has to be driving that odd evidence of leaking. It's almost like some defect on the joint itself has created a raised area under the clamp where the grease can leak out.

If you can get your hand in there see if the inner band of that inner boot rotates at all, if so then that clamp was not set correctly. You can also look at the clamp itself, while Audi has a distance the clamp should be crimped to (I think 5mm) I couldn't find anything about the Porsche inner clamp.

Ed
Ed