996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Front axle issues? Grease on front wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 01:12 PM
MalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud of
Front axle issues? Grease on front wheels

Pulled the front wheels to inspect brakes more closely. Need new front pads. Noticed when I pulled front right wheel it had some grease on the inside lip. Never seen that before. Looked behind rotor at axle and potentially the boot is leaking.

Pulled other wheel and exact same thing. Now I'm confused. Not likely both just started leaking at exactly the same time. Could it be driving conditions? Running the car hard? wrapping to 160 + perhaps? car has 107k miles.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:18 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
You probably have torn cv boots. They are pretty easy to change.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:23 PM
MalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud of
You can just swap the boots on these cars or need to replace axles?

Old 04-29-2016, 01:38 PM
Found this pretty awesome DIY on this site.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...placement.html

Old 04-29-2016, 02:22 PM
Well I've found replacement boots and clamps, new front brake pads..... just need to find that special ball joint tool needed on the front of these cars and I'm in business. I have everything else.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:32 PM
Highlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond repute
I have this tool that worked with a little dremmelling on the fork end to get the z-height down.
Amazon.com: GearWrench 3916D Universal Ball Joint Separator: Automotive Amazon.com: GearWrench 3916D Universal Ball Joint Separator: Automotive

Harbor Freight looks to have one with a much better profile
http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...tor-99849.html

I did this on my Boxster (rears) and needed a hub puller to get the hub off the axle.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Highlander; 04-29-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:23 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Highlander
Harbor Freight looks to have one with a much better profile
http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...tor-99849.html
I have the HF tool. I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it and it hasn't broken yet. Works great on the 911.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:03 PM
Oh nice there's a harbor freight right down the road from me. I'll go grab one tomorrow.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:42 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
The HF one is what you want. Works great and it's dirt cheap..

Old 04-29-2016, 11:04 PM
Cool, I swung by this evening to pick it up but they had already closed. Will go back tomorrow morning and get it.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:16 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Do not hesitate to do a small modification to get the proper fit. I had to file it a little bit to open the fork....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 01.10.33.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	447122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 01.10.43.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	447123  
Old 04-30-2016, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the tip. Overall not looking to bad. Doing it on jackstands which sucks. My lift is tied up at the moment and will be for a couple more weeks and I don't want to wait.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Finally got a chance to work on this. Thanks to the DIY it wasn't to much of a job. That harbor freight ball joint tool worked awesome too.

Was here pretty quick

I noticed the DIY and other user threads then proceed to remove the entire shaft. If doing inner CVs I understand but seemed over kill for just doing the outsides. So I just removed the joint and boot and repaired right there

Got it all together and now just waiting on my PCCB brake pads to arrive. Taking forever but should be here next week then I'll be rolling again.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:14 PM
Highlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MalcolmV8
Finally got a chance to work on this.
...snip...
I noticed the DIY and other user threads then proceed to remove the entire shaft. If doing inner CVs I understand but seemed over kill for just doing the outsides. So I just removed the joint and boot and repaired right there
Personally, I'd have replaced the inner boots whiles I was in there. Who knows how long they'll last before they need replaced too.

Glad it all worked out nicely for you though. No trouble pulling the hub?

Old 05-06-2016, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Highlander
Personally, I'd have replaced the inner boots whiles I was in there. Who knows how long they'll last before they need replaced too.

Glad it all worked out nicely for you though. No trouble pulling the hub?
I thought about it but the inner bolts were a beeaach and would not budge. The boots looked to be sturdy and in good shape and they don't bend or flex the way the outer ones do when the wheels turn left or right so I decided I'll just tackle that battle another day. Preferably when the lift is available so I can get under there nice and easy and fight them. They are hex bolts as you know and the last thing I wanted to do was strip them because I was having to put that much force on them. Something was going to break or strip.

Hub was no issue. First side took a bit longer as expected as I figured it out. Second side I whipped through in no time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front axle issues? Grease on front wheels