997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

For owners of both 997 Turbos and 991 Turbos

Old 12-12-2017, 06:29 AM
thegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond repute
For owners of both 997 Turbos and 991 Turbos

On the 991 they have PDCC which helps eliminate body roll and helps handling. Does the 997 has something comparable in an option? I am trying to decide between a 997.2 or 991.1. I really like both cars but wanted to figure out a few things in this thread.

Also can the 991.1 out launch the 997.2 or does it just have better stock tires so that may be why the videos I have seen appear to give the 991 the advantage off the line.

I think I like the looks of the 997 a little better. I plan to keep the car long term and do a full bolt on/vtg upgrade and just enjoy the car for years to come.

My main issue with looking for a car is I do not want centerlock wheels or Carbon Ceramics. I love the looks of the red brake calipers and definitely want sports chrono/launch control.

Thanks guys

Old 12-12-2017, 08:57 AM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
Can't get a PDK in the 997.1. You would have to go with a 997.2 starting in 2010 with PDK in the Turbos to get launch control. I am pretty sure the tiptronic doesn't have launch control but I have never had a tiptronic 911. The 991s are bigger than the 997 line of cars as well.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:53 AM
thegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mattgarrett
Can't get a PDK in the 997.1. You would have to go with a 997.2 starting in 2010 with PDK in the Turbos to get launch control. I am pretty sure the tiptronic doesn't have launch control but I have never had a tiptronic 911. The 991s are bigger than the 997 line of cars as well.
I never said 997.1

Old 12-12-2017, 11:11 AM
Skwerl will become famous soon enoughSkwerl will become famous soon enough
Closest thing I think is the dynamic engine mounts on the .2, I believe it came with the Sport Chrono package. You could probably put some upgraded coilovers and a TPC DSC module in there and be pretty close to the 991, minus the benefits of the extended wheelbase and 4-wheel steering.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Skwerl
Closest thing I think is the dynamic engine mounts on the .2, I believe it came with the Sport Chrono package. You could probably put some upgraded coilovers and a TPC DSC module in there and be pretty close to the 991, minus the benefits of the extended wheelbase and 4-wheel steering.
That's interesting, I never thought of the extended wheelbase being the reason for the increase in traction. Guess you cannot go wrong with either car. The 997.2 is about 30k cheaper on the market now than a 991.1 optioned out the way I wanted.

Being I plan to keep longterm I'll have to rake my time and get the right car. Thanks guys!

Old 12-12-2017, 03:10 PM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by thegame
That's interesting, I never thought of the extended wheelbase being the reason for the increase in traction. Guess you cannot go wrong with either car. The 997.2 is about 30k cheaper on the market now than a 991.1 optioned out the way I wanted.

Being I plan to keep longterm I'll have to rake my time and get the right car. Thanks guys!
I really liked my 991 turbo s for a daily driver. It was seemed much bigger than the 997. I much prefer to drive my 997 though. I can also tell you that my 997 with a tune is faster than my Turbo s was, not from a stop because the launch control was pretty neat and repeatable, but from a roll it was faster. The 997.1 or .2 drives like a much smaller car too.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:02 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
To answer your question, there isn't a comparable PDCC option in the 997.2 TT/S similar to the 991.1 TT/S. The solution on the 997s is a combination of TPC Racing's DSC module, adjustable racing sway bars and if necessary, aftermarket springs. With regards to launch, stock for stock, the 991.1TT/S just launches harder and pulls stronger. The PDK in the 991.1TT/S is also much improved over that in the 997.2TT/S and results in faster & smoother shifts making for better pick up in launch.

You can't go wrong with either, I loved my 997.2TTS, phenomenal car!!

Old 12-12-2017, 06:29 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thegame
On the 991 they have PDCC which helps eliminate body roll and helps handling. Does the 997 has something comparable in an option? I am trying to decide between a 997.2 or 991.1. I really like both cars but wanted to figure out a few things in this thread.

Also can the 991.1 out launch the 997.2 or does it just have better stock tires so that may be why the videos I have seen appear to give the 991 the advantage off the line.

I think I like the looks of the 997 a little better. I plan to keep the car long term and do a full bolt on/vtg upgrade and just enjoy the car for years to come.

My main issue with looking for a car is I do not want centerlock wheels or Carbon Ceramics. I love the looks of the red brake calipers and definitely want sports chrono/launch control.

Thanks guys

Also keep in mind that the 997.2 has larger turbos that out flow what the rest of the car can handle fuel wise. You do not need to upgrade turbos on the 997.2 platform and you can trap 137-142 (meth and race fuel).

Unlike the 991.2's, the 991.1 S has the same smaller turbos that are on the non S (smaller housing then the 997.2's) and to get into the 137+ range you need to do the VTG upgrade to flow enough. With meth and race fuel you are around 138-144. 991.2 S has larger turbos, more capable DFI fuel system and other go fast hardware, where as the 991.1 models it is mostly just the tune from the non S to the S. When a company "truly" cracks the 991.2 S ECU, that car with just bolt-on is going to be crazy!!

The 997.2 has to be the most bang for buck machine to go from 124-126traps to 136-142! Just exhaust, flash, intercoolers your knocking around 135-136 and with meth & race fuel 137-142! Back in the day Protomotive's 997.2's ran low 10's @ 134-136 with just exhaust and flash!

1st world decisions I know, but I am busting my head between doing Alpha's on my 997.1 or do a full bolt / meth 991.1 myself

Last edited by Bobbyfali; 12-12-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:56 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
PM me if you want to know specifics stock vs modded on both platforms. I have accumulated quite a bit of qualitative and quantitative data over the years.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:06 PM
Carjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud of
Question: Are you considering turning the car at some point? Most of your discussion has been about launching the car. However, your PDCC inquiry relates to how the car handles when subjected to dynamic, lateral forces. The dynamic motor mounts in both the 997.2 and the 991 versions when ordering the Sport Chrono package addresses these dynamic loads, so that option is available on either version.

The PDCC is unique to the 991 versions and it lowers track times especially as the technical level of the track increases. Still, I find the turbo 911s are not as much fun on very technical tracks due to their weight, heat soak issues, and-- especially on the larger 991 turbo cars-- the PDCC. PDCC engages either automatically in Sport Plus mode or you may activate it via a button on the center console. PDCC feels artificial in that you will not get as fine a sense of the wheels loading up with the system engaged. Fortunately, you can disable it except in Sport Plus mode. So it is a great option, but it would be nice if you could turn it off in the mode you would likely use on the track. I prefer the 4-wheel steering dynamics over PDCC when tracking my 991. In fact I prefer to leave PDCC turned off when I track my car, so that I can feel it better in the turns. Also, I never engage PDCC while on the road unless the pavement is very smooth.

I love the 997 platform because it just feels more fun, but the 991 platform is more competent and refined. If I were a horsepower fiend looking to drive in quarter mile intervals, I would start with the 997. Anything else-- on the road or on the track-- the 991 is the winner for me. I hope that helps.

For learning a track, the 991 Turbo S is without peer, but for pure enjoyment it's the GT2!

Old 12-16-2017, 08:41 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Carjunky1
Question: Are you considering turning the car at some point? Most of your discussion has been about launching the car. However, your PDCC inquiry relates to how the car handles when subjected to dynamic, lateral forces. The dynamic motor mounts in both the 997.2 and the 991 versions when ordering the Sport Chrono package addresses these dynamic loads, so that option is available on either version.

The PDCC is unique to the 991 versions and it lowers track times especially as the technical level of the track increases. Still, I find the turbo 911s are not as much fun on very technical tracks due to their weight, heat soak issues, and-- especially on the larger 991 turbo cars-- the PDCC. PDCC engages either automatically in Sport Plus mode or you may activate it via a button on the center console. PDCC feels artificial in that you will not get as fine a sense of the wheels loading up with the system engaged. Fortunately, you can disable it except in Sport Plus mode. So it is a great option, but it would be nice if you could turn it off in the mode you would likely use on the track. I prefer the 4-wheel steering dynamics over PDCC when tracking my 991. In fact I prefer to leave PDCC turned off when I track my car, so that I can feel it better in the turns. Also, I never engage PDCC while on the road unless the pavement is very smooth.

I love the 997 platform because it just feels more fun, but the 991 platform is more competent and refined. If I were a horsepower fiend looking to drive in quarter mile intervals, I would start with the 997. Anything else-- on the road or on the track-- the 991 is the winner for me. I hope that helps.

For learning a track, the 991 Turbo S is without peer, but for pure enjoyment it's the GT2!
Is that your house garage?

Old 12-16-2017, 12:24 PM
Carjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud of
Talking

This is my motorplex garage (or man cave), and it is zoned commercial so no house is attached. I do tend to "live" here though!

Old 12-16-2017, 12:58 PM
That is sick, you are my hero!

Old 12-16-2017, 01:15 PM
Keep us posted on which car you get and also the reason(s) why!

There has been a terrific exchange of technical information here on your thread. I've learned a lot. I hope I was able to provide some of the subjective differences between the two models. Unfortunately, I'm a 991.1 Turbo S and 997.1 GT2 owner. The latter is quite different from a 997.2 Turbo with PDK.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:21 PM
I was able to through friends gets rides in and drive both a 991 Turbo S and a 997 Turbo S modded. I preferred the 997 and it fits my budget more thank god lol I will be getting a 997.2 Turbo S after I sell my Corvette and plan to keep it a longgggggtime. I loved them both but just felt the 997 was a little more raw and felt smaller and less refined which I liked for a weekend car.

Plus I have always loved the looks of that generation. Thanks to everyone who helped and I will be sure to post pics and a thread after picking up the car.

Last edited by thegame; 12-16-2017 at 01:26 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For owners of both 997 Turbos and 991 Turbos