997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Removing 997tt rear water manifold -> Engine is out.. questions!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 12:17 PM
darkhorse1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by lliejk
Oh those things, I have them on still. They have not gotten in the way, but it looks like to get to the chain guides I need to move the front manifold. So both front and rear will be off at some point.

The list is in flux and has a bunch of crap you don't need, but here it is.

I will finalize it soon and make the rest of the adjustments for new O rings, etc I found I needed (mainly for the pin cam task).

Ed
Thanks for that Ed

ok I got the water manifold off... it was a bit of a battle. Due to the salt roads here that cars are exposed to, that didnt help, but I got to this just in time, it wasnt leaking either surprisingly, but I am replacing pretty much all hoses, seals, oil lines, new turbos and turbo lines, turbo oil drains.

The rubber protector sleeve that joins the coolant elbow from the engine to the elbow had failed on ones side, the result was the pipe was rock solid into the fitting. I ended up removing the elbows from the engine and could then get them off the manifold when it was off the engine.

To summarise, the turbo pipework has been a real PAIN and is seized in the old turbos and wont come out. I have tried heat, persuasion, more heat, brute force etc and they dont seem to want to come out. The main issue I have found is that the pipes simply dont have the strength to get good leverage behind the fittings so it is very hard to exert enough force on them. So to that end I have cut a couple to get to the pipes behind them, and could free none of them on bank 2 side so I am cutting my losses and just replacing them all with new..

The parts list has grown a bit more.

I am as mentioned also replacing both turbo drain tanks as I got a good deal on a pair so it made sense as the old ones have seen better days and then it will all be new.

Oil lines, the long one at the bottom front of the engine, I tried to undo one union where it attaches on bank one side to the cam housing area, but although the nut unwound it is seized to the actual oil pipe :floor: so I am going to cut both ends of the pipe with a dremel and cutter near the nut, and of course renew that pipe as it was manky anyway.

So, will be cleaning everything up next stage, prepping the coolant manifold and resealing the (perfectly rock solid) coolant outlets!!

Next job is a more pleasant one, removing inlet manifold and all the other non rusty parts at the top of the engine. I have nearly cracked the worst of the old bits (got to cut the bolt off one turbo support still then cut the pipes and remove the turbos.) and after a mega clean up it will be parts list time.

I may well end up removing the tip gearbox to replace the large oil pipe that comes down from the secondary oil cooler to the block, hopefully it will come out without me needing to do that. But I will wait until the new parts have arrived to do that as it is one less oil inlet to protect.

Last edited by darkhorse1; 07-12-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:19 PM
Also the oil line that runs under the coolant manifold and from each cam housing, is seized to the nut in the bolt union. So I will be cutting the line to get it out and replacing!

Old 07-12-2019, 12:43 PM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
Man, I am glad I got my 997 from the west, so far while requiring some finesse for fittings, they have been very compliant.

Looks like you are making great progress! Keep up the good work!

Ed

Old 07-12-2019, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by lliejk
Man, I am glad I got my 997 from the west, so far while requiring some finesse for fittings, they have been very compliant.

Looks like you are making great progress! Keep up the good work!

Ed
Thanks ed, got the nice clean bits on the top next! All the engine bolts are good but the low down stuff really takes some hammer over here. Once ive got the turbos and main oil lines off it should be nicer work. Looking forward to putting it all back to new.

Last edited by darkhorse1; 07-12-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:29 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Wow, some of that corrosion is nuts, you weren't kidding!

Old 07-18-2019, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
Wow, some of that corrosion is nuts, you weren't kidding!
Indeed. Just placed an epic parts order with Porsche so got all new bits coming, down to main oil returns, all turbo pipes, coils. plugs etc all seals, orings and so on. Might as well replace them now I am in there! Then should hopefully get a lot of mileage before any other major works. Currently cleaning the water housing up, boring job!