997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Change of Pace

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 04:16 AM
monsoonmadness is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I know its a step backwards in the speed dept. But like I said, I have had 5 turbos and have done over 190 mph in one of them and I think I woulkd like more now to just enjoy the ride a bit now. IMO, the 360 has so much soul and is the best looking car on the road. Its pretty nimble and has a sound that I love.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:21 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
enjoy Kevin.........................

Old 10-12-2006, 09:29 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
And here I'm about to get my first Porsche....hearing you people talk agout having 2, 3, 4 or even 5 Porsches makes me feel humbled! I'll be there one of those days! My philosophy however has been to go for completely different cars each time even with generational changes. So, I most likely will go with a Ferrari next. Will you be keeping the 360 when you get the 430? Be sure to get a Tubi exhaust for that 360! The stock 360 exhaust is WAY too quiet. The 430 stock sounds good but with a Tubi it sounds even better!

Old 10-12-2006, 09:35 AM
cooperlee will become famous soon enough
hahah congrats KEVIN!!! I just saw your *** on Sat! guess you didnt like my tt with the exhaust!!!!! :=)

Shouldve let me know playa..as we've couldve perhaps worked something out as I love the white!!!

Old 10-12-2006, 09:40 AM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
Nice move Kevin. It sounds like you are ready for a change, and there's just something about an F-car. I can also relate to having satisfied the speed urge; at least on public roads. I think you're gonna love your new ride. - Russ

Old 10-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Raz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to all
I think it's a good move. You really can't go wrong with a 360. So what are the specs of the new car??

Old 10-12-2006, 11:28 AM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
Great post. My feelings were identical to yours when I owned Porsche's. I recognized to enjoy a Porsche you need to speed and lots of it. In a Ferrari, the car is enjoyable at 20mph as well as 100mph.

It is a totally different feeling of ownership. I am sure you will enjoy the 360 and the 430 is even better.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:50 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nberry
Great post. My feelings were identical to yours when I owned Porsche's. I recognized to enjoy a Porsche you need to speed and lots of it. In a Ferrari, the car is enjoyable at 20mph as well as 100mph.

It is a totally different feeling of ownership. I am sure you will enjoy the 360 and the 430 is even better.
Honestly that is what im starting to realize, and i am thinking of totally switching it up, F355, Gallardo who knows. I just love the driveability and g force under acceleration of the turbos

BTW Kevin like i said, give me some info on the car, you knew i wanted one why didnt you tell me LOL!

Old 10-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Banned
efxautosport1 is an unknown quantity at this point
both cars are great

Old 10-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Raz5219
I think it's a good move. You really can't go wrong with a 360. So what are the specs of the new car??
360 Modena 04'Upgraded wheels, extended warranty, One owner(Long Is.) 65 year old man.. Cleaner than my new turbo!!

TDF(tor D France) Blue. Dark saddle, shields, F1. Tubi, 2208 miles, Original sticker 183,800.

I took my car(997TT) for its last ride yesterday on my way to the Ferrari dealer to drop it off and took the long way there. I LOVE that car and will miss it greatly. It is the best performing car(all around)I have and will probally ever own. IMO, the Porsche is a great car to drive every day, but the Ferrari is a great car to drive. Theres something that I cannot explain about the Ferrari. I mean when I was at the dealer I drove my work car there on my way home from work to drive the Blue 360. After that I returned home and picked up my Turbo to drop it off. As soon as I got in the turbo and started driving I could feel how much different the Ferrari is and how its full of so much soul. I admitt; The Porsche is a BETTER car and will outlast the Ferrari probally 4 to1, But the feel of the F car is something that cannot be replaced. Between the looks of the 360 as well as the handling and feedback the car gave me was enough to do it. Another thing I noticed was the fact that I seemed to push my car faster and faster everytime I drove the Porsche. I look at it this way: Those Japaneese sport bikes will run circles around any bike out there, but its something about those Harley guys that just wont ride anything else.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:54 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by monsoonmadness
360 Modena 04'Upgraded wheels, extended warranty, One owner(Long Is.) 65 year old man.. Cleaner than my new turbo!!

TDF(tor D France) Blue. Dark saddle, shields, F1. Tubi, 2208 miles, Original sticker 183,800.

I took my car(997TT) for its last ride yesterday on my way to the Ferrari dealer to drop it off and took the long way there. I LOVE that car and will miss it greatly. It is the best performing car(all around)I have and will probally ever own. IMO, the Porsche is a great car to drive every day, but the Ferrari is a great car to drive. Theres something that I cannot explain about the Ferrari. I mean when I was at the dealer I drove my work car there on my way home from work to drive the Blue 360. After that I returned home and picked up my Turbo to drop it off. As soon as I got in the turbo and started driving I could feel how much different the Ferrari is and how its full of so much soul. I admitt; The Porsche is a BETTER car and will outlast the Ferrari probally 4 to1, But the feel of the F car is something that cannot be replaced. Between the looks of the 360 as well as the handling and feedback the car gave me was enough to do it. Another thing I noticed was the fact that I seemed to push my car faster and faster everytime I drove the Porsche. I look at it this way: Those Japaneese sport bikes will run circles around any bike out there, but its something about those Harley guys that just wont ride anything else.
Very true, Kevin PM ME MANNNNNNNN I want info on your 997TT, btw, why 360 over Gallardo?

Old 10-12-2006, 02:57 PM
PCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to behold
Kev,

What gives...you said no Italian's!! JK! That is a great ride and I know you will enjoy. Best of luck with the car.

Pete

Old 10-12-2006, 03:01 PM
CARVER is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by iLLM3
and I am totally thinking of switching it up, 355, Gallardo, who knows...
Just my $.02 on the Fcar thing, but, if some here are thinking of going 355, do some research on the maint. costs/history of that car.
Although some have been trouble free, many have not. The F1 box/clutch has been one of the issues.
Since most get a Ferrari for the "soul", I rec. getting the 6sp. manual over the F1 for the same reason, not to mention the F1 maint. history.
Don't get me wrong, the 355 is an awesome car, but the 360 is an improvement in both technology and reliability.
The F1 is better and less expensive to fix (pump) in the 360 than the 355, and monsoon,
I'm sure you'll enjoy your F1, but I'd personally still get the 6sp. there too after missing the clutch in my SMG M3.....personal preference....
In the 360, the belt maint. is a big one but otherwise it seems to have better reliability and lower costs to repair than similar mileage 355 models.
But if you really love the look/sound/rear radiator design etc. of the 355, then that's what you should get....just fully research your new passion first...
Go to http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ for more info....

Originally Posted by iLLM3
btw, why 360 over Gallardo
If I can be so bold as to offer another $.02 to the guys thinking of making a "change of pace"......I promise not to exceed $.05 for the thread........
It really comes down to personal preference and the type of drive you want with those two cars.
The Gallardo is a little newer and has more straight line punch along with the aggressive lambo styling, not to mention awd and a little more comfort.
The 360 is 250lb. lighter and feels it with telepathic steering, handling and feel while making beautiful exhaust noises when paired with the capi/tubi exhaust.

Overall, if I were looking to go for a Lambo/Ferrari switch, I'd ask myself these questions....obviously this is just one person's take on the points....

1.do I value straight line acceleration/torque........Gallardo
2.do I value steering/handling/agility/dynamic feel......360
3.do I value racing heritage/history of the marque......360
4.do I value a more sharp edged design...............Gallardo
5.do I value a smoother more flowing design..............360
6.do I value comfort and highway cruising............Gallardo
7.do I value country/mountain road driving................360
8.do I value awd for my environment...................Gallardo
9.do I intend to also do track days...........................360
10. And here's the kicker, the big one when you buy a car like this.....
When I get in and start it, drive it, feel it, hear it scream, look around at it....which one gets my blood boiling more???
These are emotional cars and to make a decision based purely on objective stats. is to miss the point imho....

It's funny when guys "advise" others that the 360 is too slow compared to a 997TT or the Gallardo is a Ferrari poser etc.....
It doesn't matter because they're not the one getting the emotional kick out of it....you are and your emotional reaction will be different.....
Go drive them and see which one you "connect" with...that's why so many others don't get it......

For me personally, the 360 with 6sp. manual/CS wheels/suspension/rear panel and the capi exhaust just flips a switch....short of a CS or F430....
you don't even have to drive fast to get that rush....it's there all the time....imho that's better than any magazine stat. or internet bravado.....

Last edited by CARVER; 10-12-2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:13 PM
oneflystud will become famous soon enough
an excellent choice my friend. as good as the porsche may be the italian made car just has more soul you could say, or it stirs up the senses, sweaty palms etc. I think porsche has done an excellent job making a car drivable every day and then when in need for some speed can also deliver with out disappointment. Like the saying goes the grass is always greener on the other side and i dont doubt it after four turbos. post pics of the 360 and soon to come 430

Old 10-12-2006, 03:20 PM
I know what I am getting into with my 360. Thats why it has the extended warranty. As far as that belt thing, I will probally get rid of it before then. As far as the 355 goes, no way. I like the 360 100000 times better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Change of Pace