997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Change of Pace

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 08:28 PM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
Congrats! 5 years of usin' and abusin' Porsche Turbos sounds rough.

Enjoy the F cars!

Old 10-14-2006, 10:16 PM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
congrats on your decision. and on the car(s).

i know exactly what you mean about the soul thing too. earlier this year I got to drive a Modena F1 with the full Tubi treatment, and then within about a week of that, an F430 F1.

there really IS something about F-cars. they feel somehow "alive", in a way that german cars simply do not. i'm not sure how much of it is years of marketing hype and history. i'm guessing at least a third of it is that... another third the exclusivity, but the rest is really something about the cars. the sound mainly, but also the way they look and feel. nobody can style like the italians (and yes, i know the enzo was penned by a japanese designer ).

to me there's something about a Porsche that reminds me of a precision engineered machine. almost like a surgical instrument-- exact and refined to perfection. but an F-car or a Murcielago (have left the G-car out because of the Audi DNA) are more like works of art. if you look hard enough, you find the flaws, but that's part of the total package.

and as has been pointed out, you don't need to be going stupid fast to enjoy them. just sitting in a murcie and starting it is a event! when i was driving the Modena, i was aware i could be going much faster in my 996TT, but it didn't matter, because those Tubi's are in-f*cking-sane (no cats). and the F430 was so easy to drive, light on its toes, delicate even.

i'm sure you will be very happy with your decision. i'm guessing you will at some point want to have a turbo again... but the problem then will be-- as you've pointed out-- how to have BOTH the F-car and a P-car at the same time

Old 10-15-2006, 06:49 AM
monsoonmadness is on a distinguished road
well said Hesperus. I felt that between all the turbos I have owned in the past, it seemed that the only time the car realy turned me on was when I was going fast or had the pedal all the way down. I have this 360 for the past 3 days now and I LOVE the thing. When I see it in my garage at ANY angle its stunning. When I use to be in the Porsche and were behind all my friends in their 360's, 430's, etc.. I would stare at those cars on the road and love them. When were all parked together at some rest. those cars parked together was also stunning.

As far as the 997TT goes, hands down a MUCH superior car than the 360. The Porsche was much faster, tighter, and drove itself perfectly. If a cop was chasing me, or I had to run to save the world, I would take the Porsche. IMO, the Porsche is more of an everyday car to drive and its full of everything good. the radio is awesome,etc.. I think the Porsche 997TT was made for some dude who lived in Germany and had a 100 mile commute to work everyday on the Autobahn.
The bottom line is that I Loved the Porsche and will have both some day. The Porsche is an animal that is out of its cage. It is a car that will do everything right and run for ever. At this point the speed trhing is out of my system and I have done my share of speeds in all my turbos, starting from my first 02' up to my 6th 07'.

as far as the 360, its in another world and the nimbleness of that thing is incredible. Its tight as hell and feels light. Its pretty quick and the brakes are not bad. The car has NO rattles at all (unlike the Porsches-everyone I had!!) The ride is nice and the sound is music for the soul. Its funny, since I am driving the 360, I have not even listened to the stereo at all. The looks that you get in the thing along with the feel of it is enough for me. It feels exotic as hell and shows its presence on the road much more tyhan the Porsche. Its a different kind of feel between the TT and the 360. It has a ride and feel that is hard to explain.

Last edited by monsoonmadness; 10-15-2006 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:53 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Both of you are exactly right, its just a different driving experience, out of this world feeling IMO!

Old 10-15-2006, 11:25 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
You know something, as much as that change presents its self, there will come a time where you will miss having a turbo. I know how you felt, I was the same and needed a change. Now I'm thinking of ordering a turbo and just waiting for an allocation to open up. They might not have the passion of the Ferraris but they do have a charm of their own.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Yes they do, but the charm of the Ferrari is unmatched. thats why they are what they are. The more I drive the 360 and the more I get familiar with the car the more the soul is strurred. IMO, the Porsche does NOT have that growl and groan like the Ferrari and is not in touch with the road as much. I will say again, the Porsche is a better car and will do everything better, but as far as getting that thrill and driving experience as well as that whole exotic thing, Ferrari all the way.. Theres something about the Ferrari that is different than the Porsche. It feels more alive and the feedback it gives you is unmatched.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Hussain is just really niceHussain is just really niceHussain is just really niceHussain is just really nice
Monsoon,

You're making me re-think my cecision to order a white 997 Turbo! Although, I 'd be more apt to going the LP640 route...

Old 10-16-2006, 08:10 AM
IMO, its a matter of what you want. If you want a sick car to drive everyday that does everything right, get the 997TT. If you want a car that is gonna sturr the soul and turn heads get the 640. Although there is a HUGE difference in price between them I would take the 640 anyday.
You see, I love Porsche and will always do. But after getting a taste of Ferrari, I like that as much in a different way. It has that whole exotic thing going on and IMO, the Porsche has no where near the presence of the Ferrari on the road.

ie: About two months ago my friend Brad and I went into Manhattan to meet our wifes for dinner. I took my 07 997TT(immaculate) and he took his 00' 360 black and filthy dirty Ferrari. We had to go to 49 st. and we had about 20 minutes of heavy traffic while in the city. Well in that 20 minutes I would say that there was about 10 pictures taken of my car and about 100 pix. taken of the Ferrari. I felt like I was driving a NYC Taxi next to the Ferrari!! I feel that a car that is so much money should have more appeal.
And later on our way home we were messing around on the highway racing and the Ferrari is definetly slower, but is no sloutch.

All in all I did the move because I want a taste of that whole exotic thing. I am sure I will have both some day and am looking foward to that. But for now, I think I will stay with the ferrari and enjoy it.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
Congrats Kev!!!!!!!!!!