997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Thicker steering wheel differences

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 01:24 PM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
Thicker steering wheel differences

Hi,

Anybody knows what is the difference bewteen XPA and CPA? They both say "Thicker Steering Wheel".

Thanks.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:37 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
One is for the sport steering wheel and the other is for the multifunction steering wheel in that order I believe.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:36 PM
outofmoney is on a distinguished road
I have yet to see a photo of the thicker MF wheel. Does anyone have one they can post?
Cheers.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:31 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Correct......but all you get with the multifunction wheel is access to volume control. Trying to change CD's is easier using the dash controls. Also I am told the phone functions are not that great. Knowing what I know now, I would just get the fatter wheel without the $400 extra (or whatever ex-$ it was) for the multifunctional stuff.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:47 PM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by terrence
Hi,

Anybody knows what is the difference bewteen XPA and CPA? They both say "Thicker Steering Wheel".

Thanks.
Suggestion-maybe: Take a look at the Tech Art if you dont mind after market. "It is top notch"

Old 01-07-2007, 02:26 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
If I could do it all over again, I'd probably have gotten the Multifunction steering wheel with the Techart conversion. IMHO, that's probably one of the best setup.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:33 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Multi Function Steering Wheel vs. Sport Wheel vs. Techart Wheel

There are pictures on Rennlist; I don't have it here on this computer but if you do a search for multifuntion wheel, I believe you'll see it.

A few points that are important (anyone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong):

1. The thin Multi Function Wheel to me is the worst: no thumb rest & thin. If multi function is a "must", this is what I would order, then exchange to the Techart wheel, for about $1500.

2. The thick Multi Function Wheel (by ordering 431 *AND* either XPA or CPA--I can't remember which; they talk about this in one of the rennlist threads) is thick, but is still not perfect: No thumb rest.

3. The Sport steering wheel (the one that comes standard in the turbo) is thick and has thumb rests, but more importantly to me, it is also SMALLER in DIAMETER and feels best IMHO. I had this on my 997 coupe and loved it. I think I would forego the multifuntion capability and stay with this wheel, even if I could afford the techart MF wheel.
BTW smooth leather is a no cost option for this wheel, at least for the turbo model (cost a bunch on the coupe if I remember correctly).

Originally Posted by outofmoney
I have yet to see a photo of the thicker MF wheel. Does anyone have one they can post?
Cheers.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:14 AM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
go with either FVD, EVO, or RUF... their wheels are made by Utari in Italy... best steering wheel maker in the world... top notch quality and ultra thick grip... don't waste your money by ordering thicker steering wheels or TechArt...

Alan

Old 01-07-2007, 11:36 AM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 6088TTS
go with either FVD, EVO, or RUF... their wheels are made by Utari in Italy... best steering wheel maker in the world... top notch quality and ultra thick grip... don't waste your money by ordering thicker steering wheels or TechArt...

Alan
Alan,

I did not ask who makes Techarts m/f wheel, do you know?

Old 01-07-2007, 06:41 PM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by N2it
Alan,

I did not ask who makes Techarts m/f wheel, do you know?
nope... but for the price i'd go with Utari... and it also includes Airbag for the price of the TechArt Rim

Alan

Old 01-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Ok, here are some pictures of the various steering wheels.

Techart with sport steering wheel

In the car

Techart multifunction steering wheel

Multifunction steering wheel with thicker spokes (CPA - $930 option)

Multifunction steering wheel with standard spokes

Sport steering wheel with thicker spokes (XPA - $310 option)

The only pictures that I don't have are the FVD steering wheel nor the sport steering wheel without the thicker spoke option.

Hope these pictures help.

Last edited by atomic80; 01-08-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:33 AM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough
Is the thicker sport steering wheel (last photo) a $310 option (XPA) or a $930 option (CPA) or both? I'm a bit confused but like that wheel very much. The Carbon Tech Art looks the coolest. Thanks.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Still wish Porsche would step it up a notch. The 996 thicker three spoke was a work of art. The two styles offered now are crap in comparison, IMHO.

Hate the round hub center, looks like a Mini Cooper. Old style had a nicely stitched airbag unit with crest, was more full in appearance, and fit well.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:44 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
AFIAK (not 100% sure, but should be pretty close), CPA is the option to make the MULTI FUNCTION wheel (triangular hub) thicker. You combine 431 and CPA according to this thread http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=316586. 431 gets you the multifunction, CPA makes it thick. Note well that this combination does NOT have thumb rest. IMO, it's not the perfect solution, hence people have replaced this wheel with the techart.

I believe 911 Turbo comes with the SPORT Steering Wheel (round hub, thick rim, thumb rests) as standard. It remains a puzzle to me what exactly the XPA option does. When you go to the Porsche web site configurator, the $310 wheel option changes the stitching pattern and slightly alters the finish of the leather. It does NOT change the thickness of the wheel. According to Edmunds, XPA "includes interior colored-leather 3-spoke steering wheel rim with cross stiched seam, aribag module and hub cover." Unless someone could clarify this XPA option here (please), I plan to ask next time I am at the dealer.

Originally Posted by gradyex
Is the thicker sport steering wheel (last photo) a $310 option (XPA) or a $930 option (CPA) or both? I'm a bit confused but like that wheel very much. The Carbon Tech Art looks the coolest. Thanks.

Last edited by cannga; 01-08-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Atomic,

Great post. Thanks for all the pictures.

Regards,
Can

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thicker steering wheel differences