997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

GT Silver vs other colors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:59 PM
mass is infamous around these parts
GT Silver vs other colors

For everyone who had to make this decision, please enlighten me what swayed you to one color over the other. Is the $3K premium for GT silver worth it? Can someone show me pictures and an explanation of how GT silver varies from Artic Silver why GT is considered a premium color.

Thanks,

Old 07-07-2008, 01:04 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mass
For everyone who had to make this decision, please enlighten me what swayed you to one color over the other. Is the $3K premium for GT silver worth it? Can someone show me pictures and an explanation of how GT silver varies from Artic Silver why GT is considered a premium color.

Thanks,
GT Silver is the same Silver that the wheels are painted. It is amazing in person.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:05 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
GT silver has more depth than Arctic, which is flatter. Arctic is lighter in shade but GT silver is brighter in hue. at different time of the day one could look better than another. really hard to describe. i guess if u have to ask if it's worth it then probably not.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:12 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 20C4S
GT silver has more depth than Arctic, which is flatter. Arctic is lighter in shade but GT silver is brighter in hue. at different time of the day one could look better than another. really hard to describe. i guess if u have to ask if it's worth it then probably not.
My first 997 was Arctic Silver and it was side by side another one that was GT Silver, I loved the GT Silver, especially with the Cocoa Leather interior.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:16 PM
mass is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 20C4S
If at different times of day or light conditions, Artic Silver can look better than GT silver (in one's opinion of course), why would anyone pay 3K for GT Silver? The carrera sport wheels state they are painted in GT silver, yet they look very dark for a silver, almost light grey. I always thought GT silver was thought to be one of the better colors for the Carrera and worth the premium. I would like to hear other opinions and some pics as well.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:20 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
mass,
there's no why. it's ones opinion like u said. u can also say GT silver looks dirtier parked next to Arctic just depends how u see it. i'll dig some pics for ya later. i got some in my laptop.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
I probably would not have elected to get GT silver if I went ahead and special ordered the car because I felt that the premium was too steep. Now that I have the GT silver, I absolutely love it.

To my eyes, it is "warmer" and more complimentary than any of the other Porsche silver colors. It really shows off the lines of the car, especially those sexy hips and looks magnificent in both direct and indirect sunlight.

I don't have any pictures of my car next to other silvers but I did post a thread a few months back with a lot of pictures of my car.

Finally, GT Silver is considered a premium color simply because Porsche decided to do that.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:30 PM
dndodd is on a distinguished road
My Brother had a GT Silver and I really liked it.

Having Artic Silver I have no complaints.

Gt Silver IMO has more or some Black in it versus A/S.

If And when I order my next Porsche if money is not an issue I will get GT Silver.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:05 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
www.europeanspeed.com

I opted for GT Silver, stunning in person. In a sea of silver Porsches here in SoCal the small premium is worth it to stand out from the crowd just a wee bit.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:11 PM
MelsM3 is on a distinguished road
I bought a 911, because it is a true sports car.

Aesthetic options that cost $3,000, are of little value to me.

A $3,000 paint job, does not add a $1 to the trade-in/resale value.

My next 911, will either be Carrara White or Arctic Silver.

Last edited by MelsM3; 07-07-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by gmoney
www.europeanspeed.com

I opted for GT Silver, stunning in person. In a sea of silver Porsches here in SoCal the small premium is worth it to stand out from the crowd just a wee bit.

good pic gmoney. that really shows the difference between them. it's hard to tell the difference if they're are side to side from each other in picture.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:14 PM
rditri will become famous soon enough
Arctic Silver is whiter, GT Silver is more gray. I have a '06 C4S in Arctic Silver, all things being equal I would choose GT Silver over Arctic Silver. But for a $3K premium, choose a performance upgrade instead. The aesthetic difference doesn't warrant the price. Good luck.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:18 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I found a997S in Polar silver http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...G%26ie%3DUTF-8

EDIT--
Yikes --I thought I was on the Turbo forum so I re posted but rather than delete it I left the image as it shows the 997S in Polar

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-07-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:42 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I purchased a slightly used Targa 4S in GT silver. While I like the color, I very much doubt that I would spend $3k more to have it over arctic silver if I were ordering a car new. At times mine looks gray. My preference would have been meteor gray, but I couldn't find one, and GT Silver was easy to live with. I agree with a previous poster, if you have to ask, then it isn't likely worth the extra money. Put the money into ***, PSE, full leather, or something that improves the driving experience. Mine has the matching Carrera Sport wheels in GT Silver. But having the wheels match the color isn't important to me, and in fact, sometimes I'd rather have brighter wheels.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gmoney
Great comparison pic. I think it's really worth to have it...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT Silver vs other colors