997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 S Muffler Bypass

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 04:26 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
I'll post up some vid after I get mine on and put a few miles on em- I have vids of my 996 here: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...9D4B22DB1E5767
If you don't have broadband prefs set in Youtube, be sure to select "watch in high quality" on the lower right of video under the volume icon as the sound is clearer. -And turn it UP!!
The vid might get jumpy if your connection is slow- in that case, just rewind it 30 sec or so then play again, it will be smooth.

Since my 997 is also a 3.6 I'm expecting the sound to be similar to my 996. I heard Raffi's at the shop after they were installed and it sounded a tad bit bassier with the 3.8.

Last edited by p0rsch3; 09-12-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Porschester911 is infamous around these parts
In my opinion the very best in sound improvement without having to carry with you ear plugs in the cabin are TUBI's, They are a little bit pricey, but the fit with 997 is like a glove, and the sound is civilized when you want it, and with much more singing and resonance when you step on the throttle....I ve had them on my 997 for 6 months, and I have absolutely no regrets.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:53 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
^ yeah a lot of folks seem to like the Tubi's - Would be nice to have some member vids posted of their particular exhausts (hint hint)

Old 01-10-2010, 07:37 PM
amenasce is infamous around these parts
Sorry to bump this , but i installed the Fabspeed muffler by pass a month ago and i love it. The first week it was very loud but it got quieter to the point where it is just a little louder than the PSE at low RPM and still amazing at 4.5k+. I cant get enough tunnels. I didnt notice any loss of torque, nor any HP gain...Car has 41k miles with new engine fitted at 36k mile under warranty.

I was now thinking of getting the cat by pass...

Old 01-10-2010, 07:58 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by amenasce
Sorry to bump this , but i installed the Fabspeed muffler by pass a month ago and i love it. The first week it was very loud but it got quieter to the point where it is just a little louder than the PSE at low RPM and still amazing at 4.5k+. I cant get enough tunnels. I didnt notice any loss of torque, nor any HP gain...Car has 41k miles with new engine fitted at 36k mile under warranty.

IT got quieter or you got use to it

Old 01-11-2010, 02:03 AM

It only got "quieter" because you now have hearing damage..

Seriously, you'll have them back off your pcar in a few months after the novelty wears out. If you do a cat bypass + the muffler bypass, it will not be good. I'd suggest reading through the forum here and seeing what other members have done that works / does not work, it will save you time and money. The most wicked loud muffler I have ever heard / used is from AfterHours. Second best is from AWE. Either is much better than a bypass pipe. - JMHO, enjoy your pcar!

Old 01-11-2010, 03:22 AM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
It only got "quieter" because you now have hearing damage..

Seriously, you'll have them back off your pcar in a few months after the novelty wears out. If you do a cat bypass + the muffler bypass, it will not be good. I'd suggest reading through the forum here and seeing what other members have done that works / does not work, it will save you time and money. The most wicked loud muffler I have ever heard / used is from AfterHours. Second best is from AWE. Either is much better than a bypass pipe. - JMHO, enjoy your pcar!
agree completely. Novelty will wear off eventually. I'd say 90% of us who had em' had eventually pulled them off. I ended up buying Kurt's old afterhours exhaust. It's a step below the bypass but still sounds wicked.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 AM
amenasce is infamous around these parts
What you guys do not like is the loudness at low rpms ?

I dont have that anymore. Either my hearing is damaged or the bypass have accumulated a lot of dirt but the noise is fine on the highway and in town. I even have to drive with the windows open to enjoy it more..Sometimes it sounds loud when im pulling from low 1ks in 2nd or 3rd but it is bearable.

I will pass on the cat by pass after what i read.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Porsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud of
I had the bypass pipes for about six month and they were great at first, but after a while the drone get to you, so I took them out. Too much around 2k RPM. It does sound great when you are on the race track. A friend of my put on Cargraphic mufflers and they sound great. I amy be going that route.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by v35
agree completely. Novelty will wear off eventually. I'd say 90% of us who had em' had eventually pulled them off. I ended up buying Kurt's old afterhours exhaust. It's a step below the bypass but still sounds wicked.
LOL- yeah that is funny, I think almost everyone on this board tried a set of bypass pipes when they first got their pcar. It's almost a "right of passage" for those of use who love to tinker with our cars...

Amenasce- Hey if you love em, great! That is what it is really all about- what you love. Most of us have found them to be too loud for normal daily driving (and we're not old folks either ). After playing with the bypass pipes, I searched for months afterwards for the "perfect exhaust" and settled on the Afterhours pipes. They give you the same wicked rip as bypass pipes at WOT with a tad more refined sound, but are much more tame at idle / cruising. Plus they are still light at only 8lbs each.
You may also want to put on a KN or EVOMS intake kit- The intake kits typically compliment the aftermarket exhausts nicely and give a bit of rumble on their own.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:04 AM
akim47 is infamous around these partsakim47 is infamous around these parts
the afterhours website does not seem to be working. they still around?

Old 01-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mobonic
I was thinking of getting a set of Fabspeed muffler Bypass pipes for my 997S.

Any opinions from those who HAVE HAD THEM?

I have heard 2 common issues:

1. LOUD (I don't mind... i think)
2. Low End Torque Loss (Is it noticeable? )
3. 40 LB. Weight savings. (This must make the car handle and feel better... perhaps make it more neutral.

I figured it was a cheap mod that will make the car sound better, and i can put it on and off myself if I didn't end up liking it.

Your Thoughts?

If you decide to do this..I have a set of slightly used Fabspeed MBP and I will sell them cheap. I am local in So. Cal as well.

Dave

Old 01-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future

That's the high frequency hearing loss you are suffering from

Dave

Old 01-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by akim47
the afterhours website does not seem to be working. they still around?
Hmm- working for me: http://www.afterhoursautomotive.com/ I don't think they are going anywhere, they've been around for 20 years or so.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I still have a set of AH pipes for sale if anyone wants to take a flier on them. With stock cats I love 'em.
CATTMAN

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 S Muffler Bypass