997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 S Muffler Bypass

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:43 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
997 S Muffler Bypass

I was thinking of getting a set of Fabspeed muffler Bypass pipes for my 997S.

Any opinions from those who HAVE HAD THEM?

I have heard 2 common issues:

1. LOUD (I don't mind... i think)
2. Low End Torque Loss (Is it noticeable? )
3. 40 LB. Weight savings. (This must make the car handle and feel better... perhaps make it more neutral.

I figured it was a cheap mod that will make the car sound better, and i can put it on and off myself if I didn't end up liking it.

Your Thoughts?

Old 08-18-2008, 04:57 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
NOOOO!!! Please buy a set of AfterHours sport pipes. You'll get all the wowness of bypass without the headache inside the car, and you'll actually pick up TQ and HP. They weight 8.2lbs each. I had bypass pipes for about a week- forget it!

Click link in my sig to see vids- go to www.afterhoursautomotive.com for pics, dyno etc.
Call Brian, owner, tell him Kurt sent ya. All pcar and 6speeders get $50 off. Located in Wilmington / San Pedro, installation is avail but it's an easy DIY.
997 pipes will be available 1st week in Sept. Order now to get in on the current production run.

Last edited by p0rsch3; 08-18-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:20 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Thanks for the recommendation, but $300 for Bypass vs. $950 for After Hours is a big difference in price.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:38 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm- well just my humble opinion having had them- It could be $300 wasted if you get tired of the bypass pipe noise inside the car (it's LOUD) and loss of tq. Since you are already committing $300 for two short pieces of pipe that realistically cost about $20, look at it like spending $600 for something that is very good, will actually improve performance and will make you happy every day. Don't forget you'd get $50 off if you say you are a forum member. Just my thinking... If you are really wanting to go the bypass pipe route, have some made at a local muffler shop (or go to AfterHours and have them make you a pair), for less than half that- Or find a used set on ebay. I sold mine for $100.

Last edited by p0rsch3; 08-18-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:22 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I do not have by pass pipes but I run Fabspeed mufflers and they sound great. A friend of mine has a C4S with by pass pipes and it is headache drone loud inside the car at 2-2600rpm's. Sound great at 5k to redline though. Very loud outside the car.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:08 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
drestless is on a distinguished road
A little word from a 6speedonline newb. DONT EVEN DARE! Unless in track days it is so loud as in like a boat. I had mine for 4 months and I regret installing it. It's too loud inside the car and even worst outside. So, I uninstalled it and installed my stock exhaust. I wouldn't recommend this on non-track cars.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:16 AM
-might not even work for track cars, depending on dB noise limits imposed by some tracks (that's what I hear anyway). I'm still going to push this- If you want something along these lines that works well get the lightweight AH sport pipes. Kick-butt at WOT and liveable inside the car for DD. Videos are in my sig.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:06 AM
hformrace1 is on a distinguished road
yeah and on top of that the first morning going to work at 7AM, my car was so damn loud resonating from inside the garage, it was painful waiting for my car to warm up and looking across at my neighbors .
Another thing, I know my car is totally road legal but everytime I have to pass or come near a 'popo', foot off the gas and coast by with a nervous grin . Not worth it. I also sold mine real cheap.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:25 AM
^ exactly, +1 on that... That's also why I think the AH design is genius- it is quiet at idle and cruise, similar in db / sound to regular sport mufflers. Punch it to let the sound fest begin

Old 08-19-2008, 11:24 AM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
when I was thinking to get them for my car I said the same thing. loud I don't mind but I took them off right after a week. I don't mind having loud car but at the same time I want something that I enjoy. I didn't like the way they sound compare to after market mufflers specially at low RPM ( parking lot, stopping and moving), at high RPM ( highways and tracks ) it sound like any mufflers but louder so I kind of like them when I put on the car.

for losing and handling as far as my simple experience I didn't feel the difference.

Last edited by cayenne_ksa; 08-19-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:44 AM
LOL- seems everyone does the same thing... put bypass pipes on, then shortly thereafter take them off. Perhaps wasting the $300 is a "right of passage" for pcar owners..

Old 08-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
drestless is on a distinguished road
It's the worst decision I made for my 996. Somebody offered me $100 for it. Guess what? I sold it in a heartbeat eventhough I spent $500 for it (fabspeeds).

Old 08-20-2008, 08:08 PM
surfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura aboutsurfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura about
I will be selling mine soon.

cats + m bypass = TOO SUPER FREAKING LOUD!!!

It's one of those things you put on your car knowing that it won't stay there for long. So buy it used and buy it cheap.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Paul540/m3 is infamous around these partsPaul540/m3 is infamous around these partsPaul540/m3 is infamous around these partsPaul540/m3 is infamous around these partsPaul540/m3 is infamous around these parts
I have a used set if someone is interested lol

Old 08-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Racer911S is on a distinguished road
I've owned cars with loud exhausts before so I thought I could handle the bypass pipes and definitely wanted to upgrade from the stock exhaust. I purchased a set from a member here and tried them for a week or so and like everyone here has said, it was just too loud. At startup it was really loud and raspy for a few minutes until it warmed up, then it wasn't too bad at idle. It had a great burble to it but it was really loud at WOT and it made my interior buzzy.

I'd be willing to let the pipes go for what I paid (58% off list) if you want them. For that price, it was cheap enough for me to try out...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 S Muffler Bypass