997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Pse or aftermarket exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Jetpilot is a jewel in the roughJetpilot is a jewel in the roughJetpilot is a jewel in the roughJetpilot is a jewel in the rough
I have it on my 05. I love it and leave it on all the time.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:59 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
I had it on my 06 997S and I had it removed for something more aggressive.

Here are some things to think about.

The PSE is not on all the time unless you do the "unplug" mod. There is logic built into the system to close the valves at certain times in the rev band. This annoyed the hell out of me as I wanted to hear the engine sing to redline. And, if you do unplug it, what is the point of paying for the PSE in the first place?

Second, be careful what you hear about aftermarket exhaust systems. Some guys will talk about heavy drone and loud cabin noise but not admit they were using a Euro Pipe or some other muffler bypass that is basically the equivalent of a straight pipe.

If you have owned "tuned" cars in the past with aftermarket mufflers then you should know what to expect in terms of increased cabin noise or drone. Be aware of the type of opinions you are getting on this forum. You have guys on here that came from other tuned cars like M3's as well as guys that have never or will never own a tuned car and like their cars to be silent at highway speeds (old fogies). So when you hear claims of cabin noise so loud they cant hear their stereo, be aware it may be coming from a guy that has never put a aftermarket muffler on a car before and was shocked at the outcome. Or a guy that bought muffler bypass and does not really understand what he bought.

Personally, I found the PSE to be a little raspy or tinny and I did not like it. My E36 M3 sounded better with its aftermarket system than my 997S with PSE so I am taking a more aggressive route with a the full GMG WC system. That being said, if it was not for the fact that I wanted to do a center exit conversion I would have probably stuck with the PSE because it was already on the car and I would have added AWE headers and cats which would have no doubt bettered the sound of the car. The next step would be then to build my own switch for the valves so that they were either open all the time or shut all the time instead of routing the valves through the Sport Chrono switch and dealing with constant open and closing during acceleration.

Jason

Old 12-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Izzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to behold
Is your PSE for sale?

Old 12-26-2008, 09:07 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Sold it already