997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Advice requested

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Advice requested

Here's the situation:
A couple of months ago my battery died.
I called the Porsche number and they sent out a guy to get me started.
I drove right to Porsche of Arlington and they installed a new battery and a new alternator. Now, a couple of months later, here's what the car sounds like on start up:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrAlsTM5wwA&feature=channel_page[/media][/media

So, what do you guys think the problem is??

TIA,
Mr. B

Old 01-10-2009, 10:03 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Does sound a little slow to crank over, could be the battery is a little low or that you have a starter problem.

Do you have anything connected the battery that could potentially be draining it more than usual. Radar dectector, Ipod, GPS unit?

Jason

Old 01-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Originally Posted by JEllis
Does sound a little slow to crank over, could be the battery is a little low or that you have a starter problem.
Do you have anything connected the battery that could potentially be draining it more than usual. Radar dectector, Ipod, GPS unit?
Jason
Jason,
I have nothing connected to the battery.
No radar detector, Ipod, nor GPS.
Mr. B

Old 01-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
How often are you driving the car and if it's less than say 5,000 miles a year are you using a battery tender? Also, are you careful to make sure you lock the car when you leave it in the garage? These cars eat a lot of juice when they're not being driven, esp. if the car isn't locked.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Every

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
How often are you driving the car and if it's less than say 5,000 miles a year are you using a battery tender? Also, are you careful to make sure you lock the car when you leave it in the garage? These cars eat a lot of juice when they're not being driven, esp. if the car isn't locked.
I drive the car every two or three days. I am putting on 7000 to 8000 miles per year.
Actually, I look for excuses to drive it. The day the video was made, I had been driving it for at least 45 minutes.

I do keep the car in the garage and whenever I get out of the car, I lock it.
Mr. B

Old 01-10-2009, 11:38 AM
johnstoy is on a distinguished road
Does the car actually use more current when not locked? I figured that when locked - when the interior motion detector is active - it would use more current. I never lock mine in my garage. Just curious.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:46 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow- i just went through this last week. Per the Porsche tech at Pacific Porsche (August, really nice guy), the internal electronic components go into "Sleep mode" quickly when you lock the car either with the remote or the physical key. Not locking the car keeps the systems active for a much longer duration before sleeping. Advice, always lock the car to preserve battery.

It turned out my battery was fried. August came out on-site to my house and replaced the battery the same day I called Pacific Porsche (great service!). Charging system showed a bit weak. Took car in next day and they ran some diagnostics. Ground point at starter was not good. August told me that some of the main ground points can get loose and cause a weak charging or cranking condition.
I have the car back now since yesterday, I guess I will know within the next week if everything is resolved. I drive my pcar about the same as Mr. B (and yes, always looking for excuses to drive... LOL)

Old 01-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
Wow- i just went through this last week. Per the Porsche tech at Pacific Porsche (August, really nice guy), the internal electronic components go into "Sleep mode" quickly when you lock the car either with the remote or the physical key. Not locking the car keeps the systems active for a much longer duration before sleeping. Advice, always lock the car to preserve battery.

It turned out my battery was fried. August came out on-site to my house and replaced the battery the same day I called Pacific Porsche (great service!). Charging system showed a bit weak. Took car in next day and they ran some diagnostics. Ground point at starter was not good. August told me that some of the main ground points can get loose and cause a weak charging or cranking condition.
I have the car back now since yesterday, I guess I will know within the next week if everything is resolved. I drive my pcar about the same as Mr. B (and yes, always looking for excuses to drive... LOL)
This is good info, and I appreciate it.
The car is due for its annual maintenance/check up in February and I
will bring this issue to the attention of the dealership.
Mr. B

Old 01-10-2009, 04:32 PM
jcrystal23 is on a distinguished road
Mine cranks a little slow as well. There some great info in the thread. Thanks guys. Taking mine to dealer next week to get this resolved.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:06 PM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Not a Porsche, but . . .

My Aston was sounding a little sick there for a while, usually with the press of the start button she would roar to life immediately.

Then it seemed like she caught the flu or something . . . . would hesitate to start and when she did start, sounded dreadful.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=88mD3YpU83g

I tried a few things and not sure what did the trick:

- Took the car out a few times on the Highways for over 80km trips (of spirited driving)
- Changed from Shell to Sunoco (I'm in Canada)
- For a week had less gadgets plugged in all the sockets
- Made sure the car was locked each time I put away in the garage

After about a week the car was running perfectly.
Good luck!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:52 AM
I have an appointment this coming Friday with the dealership.
Mr. B

Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
I have an 05 Carrera and average 2000 miles/yr. Original battery, no slow cranks, no tender, doors ALWAYS unlocked in the garage. I think the key is to drive/start the car at least twice a week for at least 15 minutes. I'm about to do a pre-emptive battery change as we near summer since heat is the biggest culprit here in FL and the battery is 4 yrs old (8000 miles)
No radar hookup, no iPod, no USB...Totally stock

Old 01-17-2009, 04:42 AM
PROBLEM FIXED, I think

Originally Posted by Mr. B
Here's the situation:
A couple of months ago my battery died.
I called the Porsche number and they sent out a guy to get me started.
I drove right to Porsche of Arlington and they installed a new battery and a new alternator. Now, a couple of months later, here's what the car sounds like on start up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrAls...e=channel_page[/media
So, what do you guys think the problem is??
TIA,
Mr. B

The dealership kept the car for the day.
They did the one year service and, after checking everything,
said the weak cranking issue was the battery. They charged it up and said it was fine.

We'll see.

BTW, the Service Writer said he loved the sound of the exhaust!
Mr. B

Old 01-17-2009, 06:14 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gekko
My Aston was sounding a little sick there for a while, usually with the press of the start button she would roar to life immediately.

Then it seemed like she caught the flu or something . . . . would hesitate to start and when she did start, sounded dreadful.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=88mD3YpU83g

I tried a few things and not sure what did the trick:

- Took the car out a few times on the Highways for over 80km trips (of spirited driving)
- Changed from Shell to Sunoco (I'm in Canada)
- For a week had less gadgets plugged in all the sockets
- Made sure the car was locked each time I put away in the garage

After about a week the car was running perfectly.
Good luck!
My guess would be the long spirited driving, in old days referred to as an Italian tune up, had the most impact. As for the Shell Gas, I have switched away from it on my C4S as I believe I get better response and mileage on BP gas. Might be all in my head but haven't gone back.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:31 AM
fgv1it has a spectacular aura aboutfgv1it has a spectacular aura about
Thank you p0rsch3 for the tidbit about the starter ground connection. My car ('06 C2S) also cranks a little slow at times, usually when it sits in the garage for a few days, or when I drive it only on short trips for a few days (my commute to work is 2 miles). I replaced the battery a few weeks ago, but no change in behavior. If I drive it for half an hour or more, or recharge the battery, it cranks normally. I will now check the starter ground to make sure it has a good connection. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advice requested