997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Add Xenon lights to a 2005?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:17 AM
JMon will become famous soon enough
Add Xenon lights to a 2005?

Well I just picked up a used 2005 Carrera S. It doesn't have Xenon. I had thought all 997s had Xenon!
I had a Corvette, with separate high and low beam bulbs (Non projector housing). I upgraded the low beams with a simple kit. I absolutely loved it. Now that being said, what are my options for adding Xenon to this car? Is the projector housing the same between the Xenon cars and the non-Xenon cars?

Old 04-12-2010, 06:16 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by JMon
Well I just picked up a used 2005 Carrera S. It doesn't have Xenon. I had thought all 997s had Xenon!
I had a Corvette, with separate high and low beam bulbs (Non projector housing). I upgraded the low beams with a simple kit. I absolutely loved it. Now that being said, what are my options for adding Xenon to this car? Is the projector housing the same between the Xenon cars and the non-Xenon cars?

Did you ever get an answer to your question? I am in a similar position.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:27 PM
thrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to all
Xenon Retrofit - Not Recommended

I have an '05 Carrera S, and when I was looking for my car about a year ago, Xenon lights were standard. I believe Xenon was an option on regular Carreras.

Retrofiting Xenon lights isn't too hard if you just want the look. You can do it with an aftermarket xenon kit for about $400 a side. However, you will not get any levelling tied in with your PASM. It is the connection with the suspension geometry and ride height of the car that makes retrofitting xenon a pain in the butt. I strongly recommend against doing this as I believe to do it properly will cost $2K or more (I haven't done it, so I'm not certain).

If you like the look, I'd just update the halogen bulbs you have to some of the xenon match bulvs from SPP or ECS tuning.

Cheers,

Jason.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:32 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by strashek
I have an '05 Carrera S, and when I was looking for my car about a year ago, Xenon lights were standard. I believe Xenon was an option on regular Carreras.

Retrofiting Xenon lights isn't too hard if you just want the look. You can do it with an aftermarket xenon kit for about $400 a side. However, you will not get any levelling tied in with your PASM. It is the connection with the suspension geometry and ride height of the car that makes retrofitting xenon a pain in the butt. I strongly recommend against doing this as I believe to do it properly will cost $2K or more (I haven't done it, so I'm not certain).

If you like the look, I'd just update the halogen bulbs you have to some of the xenon match bulvs from SPP or ECS tuning.

Cheers,

Jason.
Thanks for the information. I will certainly go the route you suggested.

Any information on the quality of the Notto converstion kit?

http://www.carid.com/product.php?pro...t=86690&page=1

Last edited by lacrosse; 04-12-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:29 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I had mine stolen on my 2002 car . In fact I know someone (forum member Krown05) who had his stolen 3 times on his 05 car. It cost me 3K to replace on my car but the entire front end was torn apart so its not outrageous.

Have you taken a paint meter to your car to evaluate if in fact yoir lights are original. At the time when xenon theft was rampant in my area some guys even replaced theirs with non xenon .. hoping the theives woild not take it .

Here is an old article .. of how bad it was .
http://www.search-autoparts.com/sear.../detail/109550

In fact in 2005 my rear lights were stolen so many times that i sold the car and it took me two years to buy another Porsche.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:42 PM
T33
T33 is on a distinguished road
I think all 997S have standard Xenon lights. They are optional on the 997 from 2005-2008. I'm still puzzled why your 05 997S would not have standard Xenons. I hate to be a devils advocate, but maybe yrralis1 is right. You should look into it.
As far as Xenon conversions go though. Get a good Philips kit 4300K or 5000K and it should be plug and play. Make sure they are H7, so the Xenon bulb would fit on the halogen bulb projectors. The projectors of the halogen and Xenons are pretty much the same. I don't know if they are completely identical though.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by T33
I think all 997S have standard Xenon lights. They are optional on the 997 from 2005-2008. I'm still puzzled why your 05 997S would not have standard Xenons. I hate to be a devils advocate, but maybe yrralis1 is right. You should look into it.
As far as Xenon conversions go though. Get a good Philips kit 4300K or 5000K and it should be plug and play. Make sure they are H7, so the Xenon bulb would fit on the halogen bulb projectors. The projectors of the halogen and Xenons are pretty much the same. I don't know if they are completely identical though.

Thanks, I would also need to replace the ballast, right?

Old 04-14-2010, 04:01 PM
T33
T33 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lacrosse
Thanks, I would also need to replace the ballast, right?
The ballast/ignitor should come with your Xenon Kit. The whole kit should fit inside the OEM headlight assembly. The assembly slides out of the car. See your owner's manual.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by T33
The ballast/ignitor should come with your Xenon Kit. The whole kit should fit inside the OEM headlight assembly. The assembly slides out of the car. See your owner's manual.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2010, 10:05 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.ddmtuning.com/

These guys are big in the BMW world and have cheap and allegedly decent quality HID plug and plays. No affiliation. You will be fine doing a plug and play. May need to re-aim and the light pattern won't be optimal since you are putting HIDs in halogen housing but with projectors (instead of reflectors) it shouldn't be too bad.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
http://www.ddmtuning.com/

These guys are big in the BMW world and have cheap and allegedly decent quality HID plug and plays. No affiliation. You will be fine doing a plug and play. May need to re-aim and the light pattern won't be optimal since you are putting HIDs in halogen housing but with projectors (instead of reflectors) it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks I appreciate the advice!