997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I got the 997 infection too

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Luzy_V8 will become famous soon enough
I got the 997 infection too

Hi 997 friends,
since this forum looks to me as THE most dynamic and interesting 997 forum in the world, I am proud of being able to join this noble community. I bought my first Porsche and - as for many of you - this is the fulfillment of a wish I had since I was a little kid.
I am located in Michigan (Detroit area), but I bought her at Fletcher Jones of Fremont last October. It's a 2007 997/1 S Cab with less than 8000 miles and the following options:

Z4 - Basalt Black Metallic
AT - Black Full Leather
CFX - Floor Mats With Colored Trim
CNW - Side Mirror Aluminium Look
CPA - Thicker Leather Steering Wheel
CXB - Door Entry Guards Stl Steel Illuminated
P01 - Adaptive Sport Seats
249 - Tiptronic S
267 - Self Dimming Mirrors
342 - Heated Front Seats
404 - 19" Turbo Wheel
459 - Steering Wheel in Smooth Leather
509 - Fire Extinguisher
640 - Sport Chrono Package Plus
670 - Navigation for PCM
680 - Bose High End Sound Package
XFJ - Instrument Dials in Carrera White
XME - Rear Center Console Painted Exterior Color
XRP - 5mm Wheel Spacers
XSA - Sport Seat Backs Painted
XSX - Seat Belts - Guards Red
XTG - Inner Sill Parts/Release-Leather
XXZ - Foot Rest Aluminum
clear side marker lights
tinted tail lights
clear bra on front bumper, hood and fender

Since it became winter (Michigan = real winters !!) and this car is supposed to be used on dry and sunny days only, I am keeping her in a warm garage. Not having the right weather to drive her, I am using this period for further "product improvements".

First I eliminated an annoying rattle of the Chrono watch. (too much clearance)
Then I removed those (in total 4) eye-blinding airbag warning stickers from the sun visors.
Next I removed the right rear seat (incl. backrest) to have more space for my son's child seat.
After that I removed those ugly bumperettes from the rear bumper and bumper reinforcement. I ordered an Eurpoean license plate holder (painted in basalt black) in Germany which fits perfectly in those holes of the bumper.
Over the Christmas period I installed the PSE, including the electrical connection through the DME to the Sport Chrono function. Overall this was more work than I expected, especially because I did it alone and I have a perfectionist attitude which is not always beneficial. Would I have it done myself if I knew that it will take me that much time ? NO ! Would I do it again ? YES !!
Due to the fact that I removed the lining to access the DME, the last thing I installed was the SmartTOP module.
So I thought what I could do next ….. and I already have some new projects in mind:
- buy the Durametric tool (professional kit)
- activate the PES
- deactivate the seat belt chime
- activate/change side marker lights as turn signal (as in Europe)
- get PCM console painted in basalt black (like option CUF)
- get Y-Trim of steering wheel painted in alu look (like option CDD)
- retrofit multifunction switches in steering wheel (like option 431)
- partly clear bra the back of painted passenger seat, because I guess my son will not always remember that I told him he should not press his shoes against the front seat
- retrofit Park Assist System, as soon as I find some good and barely visible aftermarket solution. I got used to the parking aid on my other car and don't want to miss it anymore.

And here are my questions:
1.) Are there any recommendations for a parking aid retrofit ? Or maybe rear view camera which works with the PCM ?
2.) Is it possible to deactivate that annoying "Navigation-acceptance-screen" with the Durametric tool ?
3.) Anything else you would recommend to re-code when having a Durametric Professional Kit ?

I hope you like my 997.

Cheers.

Attached Images      
Old 01-08-2010, 03:58 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Your Cab looks awesome. Enjoy it!

Old 01-08-2010, 03:58 PM
akim47 will become famous soon enoughakim47 will become famous soon enough
[quote=Luzy_V8;2681157]Hi 997 friends,
since this forum looks to me as THE most dynamic and interesting 997 forum in the world, I am proud of being able to join this noble community. I bought my first Porsche and - as for many of you - this is the fulfillment of a wish I had since I was a little kid.
I am located in Michigan (Detroit area), but I bought her at Fletcher Jones of Fremont last October. It's a 2007 997/1 S Cab with less than 8000 miles and the following options:

Z4 - Basalt Black Metallic
AT - Black Full Leather
CFX - Floor Mats With Colored Trim
CNW - Side Mirror Aluminium Look
CPA - Thicker Leather Steering Wheel
CXB - Door Entry Guards Stl Steel Illuminated
P01 - Adaptive Sport Seats
249 - Tiptronic S
267 - Self Dimming Mirrors
342 - Heated Front Seats
404 - 19" Turbo Wheel
459 - Steering Wheel in Smooth Leather
509 - Fire Extinguisher
640 - Sport Chrono Package Plus
670 - Navigation for PCM
680 - Bose High End Sound Package
XFJ - Instrument Dials in Carrera White
XME - Rear Center Console Painted Exterior Color
XRP - 5mm Wheel Spacers
XSA - Sport Seat Backs Painted
XSX - Seat Belts - Guards Red
XTG - Inner Sill Parts/Release-Leather
XXZ - Foot Rest Aluminum
clear side marker lights
tinted tail lights
clear bra on front bumper, hood and fender

Since it became winter (Michigan = real winters !!) and this car is supposed to be used on dry and sunny days only, I am keeping her in a warm garage. Not having the right weather to drive her, I am using this period for further "product improvements".

Then I removed those (in total 4) eye-blinding airbag warning stickers from the sun visors.
Next I removed the right rear seat (incl. backrest) to have more space for my son's child seat.
After that I removed those ugly bumperettes from the rear bumper and bumper reinforcement. I ordered an Eurpoean license plate holder (painted in basalt black) in Germany which fits perfectly in those holes of the bumper.
Over the Christmas period I installed the PSE, including the electrical connection through the DME to the Sport Chrono function. Overall this was more work than I expected, especially because I did it alone and I have a perfectionist attitude which is not always beneficial. Would I have it done myself if I knew that it will take me that much time ? NO ! Would I do it again ? YES !!
Due to the fact that I removed the lining to access the DME, the last thing I installed was the SmartTOP module.
So I thought what I could do next ….. and I already have some new projects in mind:
- buy the Durametric tool (professional kit)
- activate the PES
- deactivate the seat belt chime
- activate/change side marker lights as turn signal (as in Europe)
- get PCM console painted in basalt black (like option CUF)
- get Y-Trim of steering wheel painted in alu look (like option CDD)
- retrofit multifunction switches in steering wheel (like option 431)
- partly clear bra the back of painted passenger seat, because I guess my son will not always remember that I told him he should not press his shoes against the front seat
- retrofit Park Assist System, as soon as I find some good and barely visible aftermarket solution. I got used to the parking aid on my other car and don't want to miss it anymore.

And here are my questions:
1.) Are there any recommendations for a parking aid retrofit ? Or maybe rear view camera which works with the PCM ?
2.) Is it possible to deactivate that annoying "Navigation-acceptance-screen" with the Durametric tool ?
3.) Anything else you would recommend to re-code when having a Durametric Professional Kit ?

great work on the car!!! sounds like you are trying to occupy your time while waiting for some driving weather! in any event, (1) doesnt the parking aid require the bumper sensors? i imagine that would be a lil too much to do, and would suggest a camera. i've heard good reviews about the alpine rear view camera but couldn't tell you if it would work with the PCM. I would call Suncoast and ask someone.

2-3) Can you control other functions w/ Durametric? I thought it was more of a diagnostic tool?

Old 01-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by akim47
sounds like you are trying to occupy your time while waiting for some driving weather!
True.

Originally Posted by akim47
in any event, (1) doesnt the parking aid require the bumper sensors? i imagine that would be a lil too much to do, and would suggest a camera. i've heard good reviews about the alpine rear view camera but couldn't tell you if it would work with the PCM. I would call Suncoast and ask someone.

2-3) Can you control other functions w/ Durametric? I thought it was more of a diagnostic tool?
Yes, the parking aid would require a new rear bumper with the sensors, or you drill the (4) holes on your existing bumper and clip the sensors in it. The good news is that inside the bumper there is already the imprint where the OEM sensors would be located (see photo). The bad news is that the OEM sensors have an additional bracket which is not sold separately. The aftermarket sensors are clipped from the outside into the hole and therefore more visible than the OEM solution (at least the one's I saw so far).
A rear view camera would require only 1 hole in the area of the license plate.

With the "professional" kit of the Durametric you can activate/deactivate functions which typically are country specific and much more. The "enthusiast" kit does not allow that much. But there is a significant price difference between the two kits.

Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2010, 06:27 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
beautiful ride, very nice!

Old 01-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Luzy_V8
With the "professional" kit of the Durametric you can activate/deactivate functions which typically are country specific and much more. The "enthusiast" kit does not allow that much. But there is a significant price difference between the two kits.
Really? According to their website the main difference seems to be the number of cars it will work on. Here is the Q&A re-pasted direct from their website:

Question: What is the difference between the Enthusiast kit and the Professional kit?
Answer: The difference is the number of cables included with the kit and the number of cars the kit allows you to work on. The Enthusiast kit comes with one cable (6' standard interface cable) and is limited to use on 3 cars - managed by VIN, not model. The Professional kit comes with 3 cables (6' standard interface cable, 50' extension cable, and 964/944/early 993 adapter cable) and has no limit to the number of cars on which it can be used.

I do not own one of these so I do not have any personaly experience with this tool but I was considering buying an enthusiast kit in the future. If the pro kit allows for activating functions and the enthusiast kit doesn't then that is a pretty big difference and may be worth the extra bucks.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:55 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Congrats and welcome to 6speed my fellow cab member. Enjoy her in good health.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:10 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Luzy_V8
Next I removed the right rear seat (incl. backrest) to have more space for my son's child seat.[...]
I hope you like my 997.

Cheers.
I think it's gorgeous, Lou.

Now about all that work... It was about seventy today, here in the California desert, and we have a spare bedroom. Howja like to come out and help me get those warning stickers off our car? And maybe a few other little chores... I'll get you a guest membership at the club for the duration.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Porsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud of
Beautiful 997. Welcome to the club.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:26 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Wow! Beautiful car. I would love to hear your about what features/aspects of the ride of your first Porsche impressed you the most.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by simsgw
I think it's gorgeous, Lou.

Now about all that work... It was about seventy today, here in the California desert, and we have a spare bedroom. Howja like to come out and help me get those warning stickers off our car? And maybe a few other little chores... I'll get you a guest membership at the club for the duration.
Thanks for the invitation. Maybe I will come back to your offer one day.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:35 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Congrats on the car and welcome aboard . As for the gadget questions I must admit I refuse to use my Nav . I have no patience for it and never did and empathize with the stress you are expressing.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Auto_Union
Really? According to their website the main difference seems to be the number of cars it will work on. Here is the Q&A re-pasted direct from their website:
Yes, I also thought that would be the case until I read this:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-settings.html

Old 01-08-2010, 10:37 PM
djlod is on a distinguished road
Nice cab.
How did you removed the airbag warning stickers from the sun visors?
Also, if you figure out how to deactivate the seat belt chime, please share.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Wow! Beautiful car. I would love to hear your about what features/aspects of the ride of your first Porsche impressed you the most.
The smile in my face

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I got the 997 infection too