997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

"Gundo Hack"

Old 04-05-2009, 02:15 AM
jabed92694 will become famous soon enough
"Gundo Hack"

I am looking for a very experienced muffler shop in Orange County California that knows how to do the Gundo Hack for a decent price. After all the research on aftermarket exhausts, looks like I am going to do this hack for the best sound for the $$. Can someone tell me where the best shop is to do this hack with the best results in Orange County?

Thanks,
Jon

Old 04-05-2009, 05:50 AM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
Gundo here. I would recommend you don't go to the absolute best, most experienced place. Some of the better shops will over charge you as they aren't interested in the job.

Remove your mufflers, go to Midas, talk to the manager, bring pictures, tell him what you want, and the next day they should be ready to go. All for $150, not much more.

Cheers,
Gundo

Old 04-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I think there's a set of Gundo-hacked OEM mufflers in the for sale section right now.
CATTMAN

Old 04-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Banned
Matt(in MA) is on a distinguished road
Remove your mufflers, go to Midas, talk to the manager, bring pictures, tell him what you want, and the next day they should be ready to go. All for $150, not much more.

--- this is just what I did... and I got them back the SAME day - I then painted the welds with VHT paint and stuck them back in the car.... sounds wicked sweet...

Matt

Old 04-05-2009, 11:15 PM
ssaa77 is on a distinguished road
Shop I went to said I'd ruin the mufflers if I did the Gundo hack. I didn't feel like arguing with them since they'd probably figure out a way to ruin the cans if I pressed them on it.

Anybody get this done up in the Seattle area? I'd love to try it since the oem cans are sitting in my garage. Have fabspeeds on now and want the PSE sound and flush look - the fact that the fabspeeds stick out so much still bugs me....although it sure does sound great!

Old 04-06-2009, 12:49 PM
jabed92694 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Gundo
Gundo here. I would recommend you don't go to the absolute best, most experienced place. Some of the better shops will over charge you as they aren't interested in the job.

Cheers,
Gundo

Thanks Gundo. Is this mod essentially the same as a muffler bypass?

Jon

Old 04-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Banned
Matt(in MA) is on a distinguished road
Jon -

The hack is NOT even close to a bypass pipe. A bypass is wicked loud to the point that you won't like it after a couple of days. The Hack is very much like the Porsche Sport Exhaust... Here's a link to my car - 3.6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf0NpWNAj78

Matt

Old 04-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
As Matt has said, the hack we are talking about is nowhere near as loud as the muffler bypass. muffler bypass is insanely loud and will have your neighbors screaming for blood. with muffler bypass, you'll get red flagged on most tracks, and certainly won't be able to do an autocross.

the "Gundo hack" is much more like having a PSE than anything else. loud enough to notice, and definitely richer and deeper than stock.

here's a 997 PSE - pretty complicated, and heavy. good if you want the quiet mode it affords.

here's the gundo hack as discussed:

here's a different hack on the 996 cans - which supposedly doesn't work on 997 cans

and this, well this is a fabspeed muffler bypass pipe, in comparison to the actual unmolested 997 cans

Old 04-06-2009, 04:26 PM
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
I've done it twice, cost me 100 bucks each time

Old 04-14-2010, 05:07 PM
adamL is on a distinguished road
why not let midas remove the mufflers?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:02 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Somebody here could make a few bucks by selling "Gundoed" mufflers and offering a core charge refund for the buyer who returns their stock mufflers as exchange. Work out a deal with a local muffler shop to do the work and start moving. Find a nitch and fill it.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by PTParks
Somebody here could make a few bucks by selling "Gundoed" mufflers and offering a core charge refund for the buyer who returns their stock mufflers as exchange. Work out a deal with a local muffler shop to do the work and start moving. Find a nitch and fill it.
Already being done.

FisterD here and on the "other board" does exactly that. Here's a link to his website.

http://www.fdmotorsports.net/index_files/Page732.htm

Old 04-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I love my Gundo cans, and am proud to have bought them from Gundo himself!

Yep, Gundo's rule.

In terms of a business idea: it would certainly be simple and easy, but when you combine the fact that Porsche's are not ubiquitous, and few are owned by people who want this or any mod (guys here are not representative of most owners), plus the vibrant used mods market, and I am not sure there would be much volume out there for the entrepreneur.

Besides, in addition to the sound (which is just a partial muffler bypass), the appeal of the Gundo Hack is that anyone can do it, anywhere, inexpensively. It doesn't need any R&D, marketing, suppliers, middlemen, shipping, etc.
CATTMAN

Old 04-15-2010, 06:55 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Already being done.

FisterD here and on the "other board" does exactly that. Here's a link to his website.

http://www.fdmotorsports.net/index_files/Page732.htm
DH, thanks for the info.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:55 AM
dchou1107 can only hope to improve
I am also looking for one in los angeles area. If i have to go to OC then I will. Thanks

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Gundo Hack"