997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New to 997S. Help needed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:17 PM
yellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really nice
New to 997S. Help needed.

I currently own a 2001 996 C4 with Aerokit. It's a beautiful car with 50k. I was browsing for cars and ran into a 2006 997S with lots of options. I wanted to find out if there is anything (cooling, recalls, etc) with the 2006 model since it's a first year model of the new design. I am hesitent about the first year design since they always find/fix the issues.

If everything seems right, I will sell my 01 and get the 06.

Last edited by yellowbmr; 04-07-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:39 PM
lakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to behold
So you know, 2005 was the first year of the 997. I recently purchased (11/08) a 06 Carrera S and have loved every minute of it.

This forum was invaluable for me with respect to the ins and outs of the car, what to look for, etc.

Good luck in your search, you're going to love your next ride!

Old 04-07-2009, 03:05 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Even though the 997 C4 didn't come out until 2006, I can't imagine why it would have any "first year" issues since the narrow body cars came out in 2005. I haven't seen any issues (on this forum) with any of the 997's to speak of. They seem very tough and dependable in general.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:04 PM
yellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really nice
Some cars i saw listed on 2005, had the old style headlights, so i figured 2006 was the first year. interesting.

Wait, the one I am looking at is a 997 S, I didn't see it listed as 4S, are they all wheel drive?
If yes, even better..
Can someone confirm?

Old 04-07-2009, 04:51 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
06 911 turbos had the old style headlights etc.

as for 997 c2/c2s or the 9 series came out in 05 in USA.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by yellowbmr
Some cars i saw listed on 2005, had the old style headlights, so i figured 2006 was the first year. interesting.

Wait, the one I am looking at is a 997 S, I didn't see it listed as 4S, are they all wheel drive?
If yes, even better..
Can someone confirm?
gt2 gt3 and tt were carry overs for 05. only the base 911 and 911 S were the new model for 05. in 06, the new tt was added and 07 the gt3 and 08 the gt2

Old 04-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Great, i feel better that i am not buying a first year now.
As for going from my 01 C4 300hp to 06 Carerra S 360HP , is there a big diff of not all wheel drive feel? Someone mentioned that I should get a C4S instead ...but this 06 CarreraS has the aerokit and nice wheels, and just looks really nice in the pics.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:22 PM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
I'd prefer the 2wd C2S to the C4S... If you aren't comfortable losing the awd system then that obviously boils down to personal choice but a 911 is still a 911... if driven carelessly she'll bite. Here is a great clip from Top Gear on the exact topic you're researching: http://coochas.com/porsche/Resources...Gear121105.mp4

Old 04-07-2009, 06:23 PM
dk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by yellowbmr
Great, i feel better that i am not buying a first year now.
As for going from my 01 C4 300hp to 06 Carerra S 360HP , is there a big diff of not all wheel drive feel? Someone mentioned that I should get a C4S instead ...but this 06 CarreraS has the aerokit and nice wheels, and just looks really nice in the pics.
which 06 aero are you looking at? I was looking at a really nice 06 997S fully loaded black with black leather, PSE, Adaptive seats, Sports Chrono, multifunction steering wheel, etc. 23k miles or so.

But here is the story. It was on the lot at Rusnak Audi in Pasadena. Not the Porsche side. When I asked why it wasn't on the Porsche side (10 feet away) they said it was a trade in. I already knew that it wasn't because I autochecked it and it was sold at an auction. So I was a little suspicious. Anyway, the wheels were chipped up and it was the first car I was looking at so I took a pass. Anyway, they were asking 54k. It was a 2 owner car and had been sold to the second owner as a CPO. Well I went back 2 days later and it wasn't there anymore. I was a little disappointed and kept searching for a car to buy. 3 weeks later I went to Rusnak Porsche Westlake to look at another car and the sales person was trying to sell me a CPO car and was saying, see those 3 cars over there, we won't sell those cars because there is something wrong with them. I look over there and there is the 06 S with the aero kit!!!

So then I try to cut a deal with them saying that I'd pay the 54k as well as the cost to CPO it. Keep in mind, it was already CPO'd once and I was willing to pay their asking price contingent on them performing a CPO. Well they couldn't or wouldn't do it. To make a long story short, I saw the car on ebay in the San Diego area so I know that they got rid of the car and it's in your neighborhood.
DK

Last edited by dk10438; 04-07-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:25 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iJeremy
I'd prefer the 2wd C2S to the C4S... If you aren't comfortable losing the awd system then that obviously boils down to personal choice but a 911 is still a 911... if driven carelessly she'll bite. Here is a great clip from Top Gear on the exact topic you're researching: http://coochas.com/porsche/Resources...Gear121105.mp4
Exactly... 2WD is so much more fun. As far as being wide vs narrow on the 997 it's a non-issue IMHO.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Newbie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by iJeremy
Very cool link. Thank you.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:44 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Great advice on the thread. Saw a interesting looking rivera blue private sale car on the auto trader .

Here's my advice -
1) Dk's post above shows that a dealership inspection may or may not be enough in thse economic times .
2) private sale would require a definte dealership inspection .

A few 6speeders have bought cars in San Diego . They can offer you the best contact avenue of which local shop ought to look at that car to give you the thumbs up.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:43 AM
here is the car. It's in Chatsworth, and it's got around 35k miles on it.
I like the turbo wheels, the aero kit, but it has no exhaust.
Still need a CPO (private seller).
What do you guys think?
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...aff=national#0

Old 04-08-2009, 11:51 AM
The car has the composite brake option for 7K. Is that a good option for street driving? I heard from a member here that it shouldn't be a show stopper since Brembo makes rotors that fits right in when it comes time to changing brakes.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:00 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
You won't be able to have the car CPO'd (if it is not already) since only the original owner of the car can have that done before the original warranty expires (or before they sell). You should find out the "in service" date of the vehicle so you know when the warranty will expire. There is much debate over the PCCB's, but if you do not plan to track the car, you should not have a problem. Brembo does have a direct steel rotor replacement for the PCCB's. I definitely recommend a PPI either from the dealership or independent shop.

Last edited by ///MJFDDS; 04-08-2009 at 12:04 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New to 997S. Help needed.