997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

CD stuck in PCM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 06:48 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
CD stuck in PCM

Recently I put in a CD in my CD player and after the disk went in I received a message "unreadable disk" or somthing to that effect. I attempted to have the disk ejected to no avail. I rarely use the CD player but have never had issues before, any suggestions? I also powered down the PCM when I replaced my battery but it did not help.

I did seach the archives without sucess.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:12 AM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
Old 05-02-2014, 05:46 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by millsjq
Recently I put in a CD in my CD player and after the disk went in I received a message "unreadable disk" or somthing to that effect. I attempted to have the disk ejected to no avail. I rarely use the CD player but have never had issues before, any suggestions? I also powered down the PCM when I replaced my battery but it did not help.

I did seach the archives without sucess.

Just thought I would add my update to this thread. PCM with 997.1 or 987.1. If you have ever had a cd get stuck, or will not fully eject... tries to, but then goes back in... It may be the smoothness of the cd itself.

For example. I like to burn lots of songs on to a cd and use the PCM to read the folders and files. I can have like 10 albums on 1 cd. I noticed the burned cd's I was using were getting stuck. Had to use tweezers to pull them out. Then I inserted a regular, non-burned, album cd with a nice label on it and it popped in and out no problem.

So it seems that as long as the cd's have a label, or graphic on the cd the mechanism has no problem spitting them out. Its when you get very smooth non-label sided cd's in there that it seems to not get a good grip on it when it tries to spit it out... I hope that makes sense. I was ready to send it in for repairs or get a new one, because the cd was stuck, but as long as it has a label on it I have not had any issues...

Old 05-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Bruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of light
What music was it? I found that it really does not like 80s disco or some styles of country music.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 05-02-2014, 07:08 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Bruce in Philly
What music was it? I found that it really does not like 80s disco or some styles of country music.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Darn it!! I always wondered why it wouldn't spit out my favorite 80's disco cd's !!!

come to think of it... who uses cd's anymore?? this old man needs to get with the times and upgrade!

Old 05-03-2014, 04:20 PM
BED997 is on a distinguished road
Take a second CD, grasp firmly as to not let it go, and slowly insert a portion of it into the CD slot. Hopefully the CD in the system will eject when the motor activates. Worked for me when it happened. Only occurred once.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by qikqbn
Darn it!! I always wondered why it wouldn't spit out my favorite 80's disco cd's !!! come to think of it... who uses cd's anymore?? this old man needs to get with the times and upgrade!
This Old Man (51), now brings 20 or so CD's along for the ride. I have my 5s hooked up but....I just think the CD Sound Quality is better.
Plus I'm nostalgic.
The Sound is better though!

Old 05-05-2014, 03:12 PM
wc11 has a spectacular aura aboutwc11 has a spectacular aura about
Here's what Ive done before.
The cd players work like the old fashion wringer washers.
2 sticky rubber rollers, upper & lower working to load and eject the cd's.
These rollers will get contaminated and begin to slip with dust over time and need cleaning depending on use and environment. A sur sign is scuffs from slipping rollers across the entire width of the CD.
Paper labels on cdr's hastens this.
Usually, cleaning involves dismantling the cd mechanism and cleaning the rollers with a cotton swap wet with isopropyl alcohol.
Another alternative without removing the radio is I've used those blue "shop towels. Cut to the width of a cd.
Fold it over so it covers the complete sacrificial cd top & bottom. Wet both sides with the alcohol.
While holding it VERY FIRMLY, insert the cd. As it tries to pull the cd in with the rollers, pull the cd in & out a few times to clean the rollers. ***DO NOT LET GO OR SAY BYE TO THE CD WITH THE TOWEL*** which then mean a visit the the stereo service guy. ME )

Most manufactures as well have a built in "forced eject" built in. Press and hold the eject button which skip other commands and force the eject function.

I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY SELF SERVICE

Last edited by wc11; 05-05-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by wc11
Here's what Ive done before.
The cd players work like the old fashion wringer washers.
2 sticky rubber rollers, upper & lower working to load and eject the cd's.
These rollers will get contaminated and begin to slip with dust over time and need cleaning depending on use and environment. A sur sign is scuffs from slipping rollers across the entire width of the CD.
Paper labels on cdr's hastens this.
Usually, cleaning involves dismantling the cd mechanism and cleaning the rollers with a cotton swap wet with isopropyl alcohol.
Another alternative without removing the radio is I've used those blue "shop towels. Cut to the width of a cd.
Fold it over so it covers the complete sacrificial cd top & bottom. Wet both sides with the alcohol.
While holding it VERY FIRMLY, insert the cd. As it tries to pull the cd in with the rollers, pull the cd in & out a few times to clean the rollers. ***DO NOT LET GO OR SAY BYE TO THE CD WITH THE TOWEL*** which then mean a visit the the stereo service guy. ME )

Most manufactures as well have a built in "forced eject" built in. Press and hold the eject button which skip other commands and force the eject function.

I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY SELF SERVICE
Awesome... I am gonna try this too... since lately my labeled cd's are only coming out like 50% of the time... Hoping my butter fingers don't lose blue paper shop towels in the cd player