997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Almost hit a Prius

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 01:06 PM
EJ-997 will become famous soon enough
Almost hit a Prius

I came close to hitting a Prius. My 08 C2S performed very well in avoiding this Prius when it entered an intersection in front of me. I missed it by about 5-10 feet when I swerved right as it entered the intersection. This all happened about two months ago.

Then last night I saw a tv show that reviewed the all new 2010 Prius. It has a power button that boost power for going thru intersections. Does this mean the older Prius is underpowered?

Old 05-20-2009, 01:15 PM
lakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to behold
I have a Prius as a daily driver and it's not underpowered. The whole "boost" button to get through intersections seems to be marketing hype more than anything. The 2010 has more power than the current gen, to be sure, but if you enter an intersection like the moron that entered in front of you did, you're going to need more than a power boost to come out of it unscathed!

(glad you and your car are ok, btw).

Old 05-20-2009, 01:40 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
I shudder to think what T-boning a Prius in my F-150 would do...BLAM-O!

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 05-20-2009, 02:20 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Is the boost button like the over boost that the 997TT has?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:02 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EJ-997
I came close to hitting a Prius. My 08 C2S performed very well in avoiding this Prius when it entered an intersection in front of me. I missed it by about 5-10 feet when I swerved right as it entered the intersection. This all happened about two months ago.

Then last night I saw a tv show that reviewed the all new 2010 Prius. It has a power button that boost power for going thru intersections. Does this mean the older Prius is underpowered?
What you mean by another car [Prius] entering an intersection? Did he run a red light through the crossing street?

It's confusing because you say that "[he] entered an intersection in front of [you]". Was he the car in front of you?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:35 PM
EJ-997 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by adias
What you mean by another car [Prius] entering an intersection? Did he run a red light through the crossing street?

It's confusing because you say that "[he] entered an intersection in front of [you]". Was he the car in front of you?
Sorry. I will try to explain it better.
I was traveling about 40mph in 35mph zone on a main street. A Prius came out of a side street (right side) and apparently did not see me. I made a very hard right turn and ended up in the street the Pirus came from. Apparently the Prius ran a stop sign.
If I was driving my Mercedes 320 there would probably be a crash.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:12 PM
stardoc is on a distinguished road
Just be glad it wasn't a Honda Civic Hybrid. Mines will do 0-60mph only when falling off a cliff.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:41 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EJ-997
Sorry. I will try to explain it better.
I was traveling about 40mph in 35mph zone on a main street. A Prius came out of a side street (right side) and apparently did not see me. I made a very hard right turn and ended up in the street the Pirus came from. Apparently the Prius ran a stop sign.
If I was driving my Mercedes 320 there would probably be a crash.
Now I understand it. The Prius ran a stop sign and you almost hit, but you were available to avoid it by quick evasive action. Good for you!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Kent will become famous soon enough
The Prius driver was prob. looking at the gauge seeing how much gas he/she was saving instead of actually paying attention and driving. Glad you avoided someone else's stupidity.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:39 PM
stardoc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Kent
The Prius driver was prob. looking at the gauge seeing how much gas he/she was saving instead of actually paying attention and driving. Glad you avoided someone else's stupidity.
Its a very good point. The amount of gas your average Prius driver saves is far overshadowed by the additional gas wasted by drivers in aggrevation trying to overpass them.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:51 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Paging JoeyG??????

Old 05-20-2009, 11:01 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I drove a Prius for three weeks last year while in Southern California . It was a rental car. I drove it slow so gas mileage was incredible. What i did not like was how it felt at highway speed . Perhaps I am spoiled but even comparing it to my Honda Si it's no comparison . I did notice a lot of Prius cars in Santa Monica , enough so to think it was a regional trend .

I found this mileage comparison interesting . M3 Vs Prius .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydvAQ6Y49vc

Last edited by yrralis1; 05-20-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:17 PM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
The only way to save gas is to drive less. Trading in a car for a Prius or even buying a Prius and parking your other car wastes more gas than just cutting back on your driving and not being a party to the demand for a Prius or other Hybrid. How much gas is used in the manufacture of a Prius by all workers in the plants, subsystem plants, suppliers, etc.? Not to mention the shipping, and other logistics of getting new cars to the lot. There is a huge ripple effect every time you get out your wallet and be a consumer...especially of large ticket items. If you want to save the environment and gas, want to reduce your carbon footprint...you don't do it by spending money. Just my opinion.

J

Old 05-21-2009, 06:01 AM
Kurt_OH will become famous soon enoughKurt_OH will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by xXxGhotimanxXx
The only way to save gas is to drive less. Trading in a car for a Prius or even buying a Prius and parking your other car wastes more gas than just cutting back on your driving and not being a party to the demand for a Prius or other Hybrid. How much gas is used in the manufacture of a Prius by all workers in the plants, subsystem plants, suppliers, etc.? Not to mention the shipping, and other logistics of getting new cars to the lot. There is a huge ripple effect every time you get out your wallet and be a consumer...especially of large ticket items. If you want to save the environment and gas, want to reduce your carbon footprint...you don't do it by spending money. Just my opinion.

J
Excellent point.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:58 AM
v21
v21 is on a distinguished road
Funny comments above.

For what's it's worth: recently on the back back from from a trip upstate, the Prius had no problem keeping up with me on the highway while doing about 80 in my E92 335i (coupe). Forget gas mileage, I am sure it was using more gas than my car at that speed/ with that driving style.

Never drove one but I do not want to know how it feels at 80.
I already dislike the behavior of the front train on my BMW (though I did replace the RFTs by non-RFTs Michelin Pilots) and I can only imagine it's on par with a Fiat Punto or something similar.

Last edited by v21; 05-21-2009 at 07:00 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Almost hit a Prius