997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Dealer demo miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 01:38 PM
BostonRocket is infamous around these parts
Dealer demo miles

Hey gang,

I am about to purchase a new C2S and the one I want has some miles on the odometer (less than 100). I am a bit worried about the situation only because this means the car has been used for test drives. This will likely be the first car I purchased out of inventory for a long time, and I am sure this car has not been fully "broken in" before the car has been floored and manhandled. The dealer has assured me that these cars are bulletproof and come from the factory with no need for a break-in. Opinions?

'Rocket

Old 06-11-2009, 01:46 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
At the very least, I'd ask the dealer to run a DME and dealer should probably provide that for free. Not sure about going the full PPI route.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by JoeShark
At the very least, I'd ask the dealer to run a DME and dealer should probably provide that for free. Not sure about going the full PPI route.
I took your advice and asked for a DME readout. Thank you for the advice. Right about now, the dealer is either cursing at the fact he has to do extra work or scratching his head because he has no idea what DME means!

'Rocket

Old 06-11-2009, 02:32 PM
"I don't know what that is" says the dealer.

'Rocket

Old 06-11-2009, 02:45 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BostonRocket

'Rocket
Tell him you want a printout of the ECU logs including overrev dumps. If that dealer does not know what that is do not service your new car there.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:39 PM
stardoc is infamous around these parts
Depends if your going to keep it past the warranty. Run a full DME and look at the amount of clutch wear. Otherwise enjoy. They're built like tanks.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:54 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
agree, have them run a DME. I was looking at a launch car at the local dealer and it had 200 miles. On the test drive, the salesman told me to floor it so the PDK would downshift automatically from 7th to 3rd....needless to say i did NOT buy that car!

Old 06-11-2009, 05:01 PM
mnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant future
I bought a CS that was traded in with about 1,000 miles on it for a Turbo, and was being used as a demo. When I bought it - it had almost 8,000 miles on it, about 300 of those were me taking it out and test driving it.

I have no regrets and since it is used I got it CPO- and has a warranty up to 100,000 miles.

So I plan I driving it like I stole it up until 99,000 - getting a thorough service check and then continuing to drive it the same way i like to now. I swear I think it actually drives better being driven hard. When I drive it "lightly" when my wife's in the car, I think I actually heard the car snoring once - or maybe that was me.

Anyways - I agree with what others have said here - the car is designed to be driven hard - I highly doubt anyone has damaged it beyond warranty within the first 100 miles - aside from the clutch, but you will always take a a chance with that - although with so few miles on the clock, doubt it could have been worn much at all.

I say - get it and enjoy!!

Old 06-11-2009, 05:06 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Some Porsches are test driven at factory and come with 30 miles or so. In the old 993 days they even had more . 100 miles ought not be a major concern . A DME answers a lot but I probably would have bypassed it. I did bypass it on my M3 which has 110 miles and now I have 15K miles with no issues at all.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback. The dealer has promised me to get me a printout. Maybe I will post it up and let everyone analyze it for me too!

'Rocket

Old 06-11-2009, 09:54 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Thanks everyone for your feedback. The dealer has promised me to get me a printout. Maybe I will post it up and let everyone analyze it for me too!

'Rocket
Do so. I'd be interested to see what a DME looks like on a car with so little miles.

Wonder how many people at the dealership the dealer had to ask before he figued out what you were looking for based on your quote above:

Old 06-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Great info guys. I'll post it the minute the dealer sends it to me.

'Rocket

Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 PM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
Based on the fact that out of the 4 test drives I've been on these past two weeks, each salesman has told me to feel free to open it up on a car with less then 500 miles, I would say that most dealer demos are not broken in properly. That said, how necessary it is to "break in" a car remains to be seen.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:34 AM
I now have been told by a high-up that the car has never been used as a demo and it has merely been driven back and forth from an off-site facility about 20 miles away. I am SURE whomever was driving respected the car's break-in. Sure...

DME readout on the way.

'Rocket

Old 06-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Porscheburn is infamous around these parts
I now have been told by a high-up that the car has never been used as a demo and it has merely been driven back and forth from an off-site facility about 20 miles away. I am SURE whomever was driving respected the car's break-in. Sure...

DME readout on the way.

'Rocket
Area Dealer Sales Mgr. has a TT with 1500mi driven by the owner of the dealership (make that the owner of about 100 dealerships. ). I was interested, inquired and was told how the owner used the car to come and go from the airport (private jet).

"Man, he drives like a ****ing maniac too."

Next..........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer demo miles