997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Does anyone know what settings the dealer can change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 02:30 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Does anyone know what settings the dealer can change?

I have an 09' C2 6 speed with manual seats, no sport chrono, and self dimming mirrors.

I would love to have my right mirror dip down in reverse, but I don't have power seats. Also, I'd like to have the doors lock when I drive off (the manual specifically says the dealer controls this feature). Lastly, I'd love to have auto on headlights, but I don't want to go the daytime running lights route.

My dealer plugged my car up via the OBD and said he specified the reversing mirror drop and auto lock. But when we test drove it, nothing changed. He also said I could get a new light switch that enabled automatic headlight lights?

Before I take it back in again, does anyone have a .pdf or know for sure what settings the dealer can change through connecting the OBD?

Thanks,
David

Old 09-21-2009, 04:36 PM
larrytrk will become famous soon enough
some of the functions can be programmed with a mods-4-cars RemoteKey.
Look it up on line, $300 well spent.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:47 PM
motosport3 will become famous soon enoughmotosport3 will become famous soon enough
There are no automatic headlights...unless you just want them on all the time, which I believe are the DRLs. There was a thread floating around about that a week or so back.

First I've heard of the passenger side mirror sloping down on reverse gear. That would be nice, coming from BMW. The extra wide hips, I end up erring on the side of caution when parallel parking now.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Harvey in MD is on a distinguished road
I have an 08 997. They activated the key remote control when locking the car to the raise the windows by holding down the central lock button until the window raised all the way. Also the reverse has been activated when unlocking the car....hold down the central locking button before I get to the car and the windows will lower.

I find this function very useful.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:47 PM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
speaking of all this.... is there a way to make the car beep or flash when it is locked, i can never tell if it is locked or unlocked as i walk away...is it just me???

Old 09-21-2009, 07:31 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I think the mod-for-cars does the lock-beep as well.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Harvey in MD
I have an 08 997. They activated the key remote control when locking the car to the raise the windows by holding down the central lock button until the window raised all the way. Also the reverse has been activated when unlocking the car....hold down the central locking button before I get to the car and the windows will lower.

I find this function very useful.
If I recall properly, this programming only did the drivers window.
The RemoteKey does both windows, beeps on lock/unlock & dips mirror, etc.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Harvey in MD is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 911nojoke
speaking of all this.... is there a way to make the car beep or flash when it is locked, i can never tell if it is locked or unlocked as i walk away...is it just me???
My my 08, the yellow turn signal lights on the front and back flash twice when locking or unlocking.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:11 PM
all 997's have a delayed turn signal flash on lock/unlock!!

Old 09-22-2009, 03:33 AM
wdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the rough
You have to flip the toggle to select the right side mirror before it will change angles when you shift to reverse. This one probably isn't a dealer program thing. Pop open like .. page 56 or so? in your owners manual for the parking aids stuff.

If you have sport chrono, you can configure other stuff like auto-door lock as you drive away. The mods4cars module will also let you set this up so that it locks once you pass a certain speed in a forward gear. You can have it programmed so that when you remove the key from the ignition it will unlock, or when you turn the car off it'll unlock, etc. Lots of options there. If you go to the mods4cars owner manual (online) it'll document the various settings.

The stealer can also set stuff up in this space, like:
- lock on ignition turn-on
- lock at 3-6 mph
- lock when ignition is turned on, and if a door is opened and closed (with ignition on still) automatically relock when speed exceeds 3-6 or so
- no autolock (default)

The answer to almost all of this is in your owners manual for the car btw, including how to get DRL going with a pre '09. Skim the section on the home setting for your lights as well, might be interesting.

Regarding mods4cars .. when I looked this up it seems to be that it's highly useful for cab drivers, and fun for coupe / targa drivers if they want to program things themselves. However, I was not able to find anything the dealer couldn't program by default. Auto-lock on drive, mirror angles (I like the requirement of flipping the switch, and many manufactures use this because sometimes you don't want the mirror to dip), windows up-down on alarm button push. On my cab I can roll up all the windows without selecting the back windows, so mods4cars gave me that. I have it because the one button open / close and not having to hold the button while it's happening is fantastic, and you can also program the top to open before you get to the car.

That said don't forget about things like the fact that you can roll the windows up / down with the control stalk after you turn your car off / take the key out of the ignition. I swear I read the owners manual page by page and there was a bunch of stuff I just didn't learn until I accidentally did something.

Last edited by wdgreene; 09-22-2009 at 03:40 AM. Reason: add some info on mods4cars
Old 09-22-2009, 06:13 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, so could anybody confirm - is it possible for dealer to activate lowering windows by pressing trunk open remote key or is it exclusively a function provided by mod4cars controller?

Also, I was able to make my car flash turn lights when I close it only if I leave glove box open. Would love to make it permanent - how can it be done?

Also on lowering mirror - it does not work no matter what I try.

So, can dealer actually activate whole 3 items? If so I will definitely get there.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:50 AM
wdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the rough
utkinpol - I'll have to read the manual again. You have to do some steps to make the mirror tilt, and you need memory seats (I forgot to mention that). Assuming you have those things, you basically go through some steps to set where the mirror tilts down to, and then you are good to go. Until you configure the angle it tilts to, it won't tilt. The function will be kind of like this:

- configure the angle
- when you put the car in reverse and the passenger mirror is selected on the toggle, it'll drop down to that angle
- when you take the key out / turn car off, mirror will return to up position
- if you switch away from the passenger mirror on the toggle, mirror will return to up
- if you put the car in a forward gear and start driving, mirror will return to up pos

I know the windows can be configured as well, but again, I'm a bit of an idiot and after I do something once I forget how to do it. That feature has been there for a long time (a friend with a 996 has it set up).

I'm not sure about the alarm settings ... I never really researched it.

to drspeed -- you are going to have to go through the same settings as somebody with seat memory if the dealer activated the routine for you. Nothing will happen until the angles and settings are configured for the car, regardless of flipping the toggle to the passenger mirror or not.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:19 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wdgreene
utkinpol - I'll have to read the manual again. You have to do some steps to make the mirror tilt, and you need memory seats (I forgot to mention that).
Exactly - it sounded like there is a way to make it work without memory seat option (which I do not have).

Too bad then, I hoped it could be possible.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Exactly - it sounded like there is a way to make it work without memory seat option (which I do not have).

Too bad then, I hoped it could be possible.
I am pretty sure the dealer can activate the tilt down. You'll still have to go through the set up afterwards.

If you skim the mods4cars thing ... it's fun being able to program all this yourself and I'll just tell you it was the best most fun mod I put on my car. The mods4car unit is not perfect, but it's still neat. Some basic of what you get with it (cut & paste from the website):

- Remote window control: Easy one-touch comfort operation of windows with the original remote on all models (US and Euro) by holding down the power-locks button. No extra remote fob or reprogramming of the key or car is necessary!
- On 987 Boxsters the top can be operated in one-touch mode while the car is halted. Also, top operation is not interrupted when coming to a stop.
- The "Lock-In" feature locks the doors once the car starts moving. In contrast to the original Porsche feature which can only be enabled or disabled at the dealership, this feature is user-programmable and even better, optionally the doors also unlock when the engine is switched off and the key removed.
- Home light XL: The Headlights can be activated for 30 seconds at any time by tapping the trunk button on the remote twice. Tapping the button twice again before the time runs out will switch the lights off immediately.
- Trunk button delay: Prevents accidental opening of the trunk in most cases. If activated, the trunk can only be opened by holding down the trunk button on the remote for longer.
- Chirp on lock/unlock: If activated, the alarm horn will give brief "chirp"signals when locking/unlocking the car. IMPORTANT: For the chirp feature to work, the factory alarm needs to be present.
- Auto-Tilt function for the passenger-side mirror on reverse gear. A great addition for cars without seat-memory.
- Passenger window auto-up fix for all cars where the window will only roll up automatically once it is past half way. Usually found on 997 Coupes
- User programmable: All features can be individually enabled or disabled. Some also allow different personal preferences to be set. All settings are retained even if the car battery is disconnected.
- Shop/Diagnose mode: The chip can be set to be completely passive, as if it was not installed at all. It becomes "invisible" and will not interfere with any dealer diagnostic tools.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by wdgreene
I am pretty sure the dealer can activate the tilt down. You'll still have to go through the set up afterwards.

If you skim the mods4cars thing ... it's fun being able to program all this yourself and I'll just tell you it was the best most fun mod I put on my car. The mods4car unit is not perfect, but it's still neat. Some basic of what you get with it (cut & paste from the website):

- Remote window control: Easy one-touch comfort operation of windows with the original remote on all models (US and Euro) by holding down the power-locks button. No extra remote fob or reprogramming of the key or car is necessary!
- On 987 Boxsters the top can be operated in one-touch mode while the car is halted. Also, top operation is not interrupted when coming to a stop.
- The "Lock-In" feature locks the doors once the car starts moving. In contrast to the original Porsche feature which can only be enabled or disabled at the dealership, this feature is user-programmable and even better, optionally the doors also unlock when the engine is switched off and the key removed.
- Home light XL: The Headlights can be activated for 30 seconds at any time by tapping the trunk button on the remote twice. Tapping the button twice again before the time runs out will switch the lights off immediately.
- Trunk button delay: Prevents accidental opening of the trunk in most cases. If activated, the trunk can only be opened by holding down the trunk button on the remote for longer.
- Chirp on lock/unlock: If activated, the alarm horn will give brief "chirp"signals when locking/unlocking the car. IMPORTANT: For the chirp feature to work, the factory alarm needs to be present.
- Auto-Tilt function for the passenger-side mirror on reverse gear. A great addition for cars without seat-memory.
- Passenger window auto-up fix for all cars where the window will only roll up automatically once it is past half way. Usually found on 997 Coupes
- User programmable: All features can be individually enabled or disabled. Some also allow different personal preferences to be set. All settings are retained even if the car battery is disconnected.
- Shop/Diagnose mode: The chip can be set to be completely passive, as if it was not installed at all. It becomes "invisible" and will not interfere with any dealer diagnostic tools.
I do not have a cab, and for a coupe $500 for just remote window opener - even by my standards it is an excess.

All I need is a sound/blink when I close my car plus would be nice to have passenger mirror to rotate down and show me curb side.

TO open windows remotely would be nice but not really essential. My indi shop nearby has PIWIS system - how exactly can be that mirror thing activated without motorized seat option? Does anybody know for sure?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know what settings the dealer can change?