997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Spare wheel set info - Pics inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:56 AM
dieselophile is on a distinguished road
Inflated vs collapsible spare for 997

I kind of have to agree with you. I have looked at both the collapsible 996 spare and inflated Boxster spare and have chosen the pre-inflated boxster tire option as my spare (I have a 2005 997 cab). It does sit reasonably snugly in the frunk and to be honest in the event of a blowout its one step less to perform or worry about - inflating the collapsible spare. Also, this is a slim tire and leaves some space in the frunk for other stuff. I wonder though where the cheapest replacement for this odd tire might be available.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:10 PM
mbs
mbs is on a distinguished road
J just sent Continental an email regrding a replacement because they do not list the tire on their website. However, as many years as I have been driving with these little temporary spares I have really used one and when I have, I have never worn it out, so the replacement question may be academic. As I indicated earlier, the advantage of this spare is it's size and the fact it fits against the firewall side of the frunk, leaving storage space. I thought I would be required to deflate it a bit, but it seems to fit snuggly without tweaking the lid or needing to be tied down. Anyone else tried fitting one of these tires as I described? Also, there is the issue of the take off wheel. I am guessing it will only fit on the passenger's seat, which is why the spare comes with an extra large tire bag. Has anyone had a flat and needed to deal with the take off, and if so, where did it fit?

Old 04-01-2010, 02:17 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mbs
J just sent Continental an email regrding a replacement because they do not list the tire on their website. However, as many years as I have been driving with these little temporary spares I have really used one and when I have, I have never worn it out, so the replacement question may be academic. As I indicated earlier, the advantage of this spare is it's size and the fact it fits against the firewall side of the frunk, leaving storage space. I thought I would be required to deflate it a bit, but it seems to fit snuggly without tweaking the lid or needing to be tied down. Anyone else tried fitting one of these tires as I described? Also, there is the issue of the take off wheel. I am guessing it will only fit on the passenger's seat, which is why the spare comes with an extra large tire bag. Has anyone had a flat and needed to deal with the take off, and if so, where did it fit?

I'd be tempted to tell Roadside assistance where I left the take off and have them get it to my Porsche dealer....

Otherwise you gotta put it in the front seat.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:53 PM
dieselophile is on a distinguished road
Carrying the take off tire

I have a 997 cab and my guess is that I'd put it in the back seat, if it didnt easily go there, I'd take the top down first to place the take off tire in the back with some ease (obviously put that tire in a bag first) then put the top back up if I needed to. It would be good to know anyones actual experience.
BTW - I was only asking about replacing the continental spare because mine looks a little old and I will start getting concerned about its reliability in a few years. If anyone knows where and how much for the replacement, please post that info.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
I'd consider having to change the tire in the worst conditions, by the side of the interstate with the drivers side back being out - so you butt has traffic whizzing by, and in a real down-pour thats not giving any indication of letting up.

I may try this with my summer tires before I put them on.. see if I can put the rear wheel in the back seat (maybe pull up the seat cushion first). With the Targa I have the option of popping the back hatch and laying it on the back deck of folded down seatbacks.. but if I was out and about, what would I do with luggage that was there. Clearly, one should leave enough volume to accommodate a rear wheel, albeit uncomfortably (if you need to set some bag on the passenger's lap) to get the bad wheel in, and drive it to a tire shop for a hopefully doable inside plug.

I also need to test what sort of spare I can fit in the frunk of a 4, given the smaller space up there. I think the collapsible spare still fits, based on the info from the Guatamalen car.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:34 PM
djlod is on a distinguished road
I have a spare from a 996 / 986 that can fit on a 997 and 997S.
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...n-a-997-a.html
Thanks to RPMert (from Rennlist) for the photo of a spare tire mounted on a 997S.
The rest of the photos are of my spare tire.
Tire size: 105/95R17
Part # 996.362.130.01
This spare is the fully inflated spare tire, not the inflatable space saver spare tire.
The spare tire fits nicely in the front trunk of my 997.
The spare tire has never been used, never mounted.
The tire is in perfect condition, and the rim is in great shape also.
PM me if you are interested.

Attached Images     
Old 05-15-2010, 10:42 AM
mbs
mbs is on a distinguished road
Thanks, I discovered the same and already found one. -M

Old 05-15-2010, 11:02 AM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by djlod
I have a spare from a 996 / 986 that can fit on a 997 and 997S.
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...n-a-997-a.html
Thanks to RPMert (from Rennlist) for the photo of a spare tire mounted on a 997S.
The rest of the photos are of my spare tire.
Tire size: 105/95R17
Part # 996.362.130.01
This spare is the fully inflated spare tire, not the inflatable space saver spare tire.
The spare tire fits nicely in the front trunk of my 997.
The spare tire has never been used, never mounted.
The tire is in perfect condition, and the rim is in great shape also.
PM me if you are interested.

FYI on the 996 and 986's they recommend you to use the spare on the front's only. If you have a rear puncture, move the front full size to the back and use the donut on the fronts

Old 12-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Musclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud of
Exclamation

Originally Posted by cibergypsy
I have the CD changer in the trunk. I don't have SatNav, though.
So I have a 07' C4S Cab with CDC/Nav/Bose & Wind deflector (in case attached which can be left at home)..not much room left...

What is possibility of "modifying" floor of frunk to accommodate Space Saver Spare like it was/is for the 996?

Attached Images    
Old 12-23-2010, 12:14 AM
ROADRAGE is a jewel in the roughROADRAGE is a jewel in the roughROADRAGE is a jewel in the roughROADRAGE is a jewel in the rough
group buy I'm in!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Musclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud of
Smile

+1 on group buy for me!
BTW I just emailed Ric at Suncoast this thread to see if he'll start a group buy...

Ric??

Old 12-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
I will check with Ric about a group buy, but we do have a spare tire option on our site here: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//997STK.html

It goes in the rear seat... Not in the "frunk" like some of you were expecting.

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 12-23-2010, 08:36 AM
RH512 is on a distinguished road
I'm in for a group buy on the 997STK if it's happening.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:17 AM
stacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nice
I would also be in for a group buy!

Old 12-23-2010, 03:45 PM
jastx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SuncoastRyan
I will check with Ric about a group buy, but we do have a spare tire option on our site here: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//997STK.html

It goes in the rear seat... Not in the "frunk" like some of you were expecting.
Ryan, I'm impressed with how you are always on top of what's going on in the forum. Nice work!

Which spare comes with your kit -- the collapsible or the inflated version?

Thanks,

John

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spare wheel set info - Pics inside