997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Seat Belt Warning Chime

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:16 AM
RandyP will become famous soon enoughRandyP will become famous soon enough
Seat Belt Warning Chime

Does anyone know how to disable the (very loud) seat belt alarm?

Old 10-21-2009, 10:20 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Plug your seat belt in.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Is that what you do when you want to use a racing harness? Just plug it in? Is that what you do when you're in the drive-thru line and have to retrieve your wallet from your backside pocket? Just plug it in?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:22 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Mine turns off in just a few seconds - 997.2. Is yours persistent? I'm pretty good at ignoring it though - my 550i was persistent - drove some owners nuts I reckon.

But if I'm driving - like not in the garage checking tires or oil, I'm belted in.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:44 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RandyP
Is that what you do when you want to use a racing harness? Just plug it in? Is that what you do when you're in the drive-thru line and have to retrieve your wallet from your backside pocket? Just plug it in?
sure do, I plug it in when I don't want to hear it. When on the track I run it around the back of the seat and plug it in.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Yay you.

I'm looking forward to anyone who can actually contribute - I read a post on a Cayman board about inserting the belt lock mechanism multiple times but this didn't work for my 911. Dealerships I hear aren't helpful for fear of liability issues, etc.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by stevepow
Mine turns off in just a few seconds - 997.2. Is yours persistent? I'm pretty good at ignoring it though - my 550i was persistent - drove some owners nuts I reckon.

But if I'm driving - like not in the garage checking tires or oil, I'm belted in.
Not persistent, but really loud. When I pull into the garage, for example, and unlatch the belt before I turn off the ignition I get the annoying seven bongs. Same thing when getting in the car; when I turn the key the warning sounds if I haven't fastened the belts.

This isn't a case of wanting to usurp the system so I can go belt-less. I always wear my seat belt. It's just funny that my Volvo, reputedly the safest car company in the world, has NO seat belt warning chime.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Yay you.

I'm looking forward to anyone who can actually contribute - I read a post on a Cayman board about inserting the belt lock mechanism multiple times but this didn't work for my 911. Dealerships I hear aren't helpful for fear of liability issues, etc.
What part of plugging it in isn't actual contribution to this thread. This topic has been covered in the past and the net result is plug your seat belt in. I suppose that you could shut it off with the PIWIS system, but find a dealer that is willing to do that. Otherwise like I said earlier, plug a seat belt in. There is no magical solution to this situation.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:17 PM
I've read other threads for other makes and models. The answer for some of us is not to simply plug in your seat belt - and golly jeez I would have never thought of that!

There are non-magical fixes that exist, just not sure if one is available for this car; thus the post.

Perhaps the dealer can program the warning to at least stay silent until say, reaching 10 MPH, like my wife's Mercedes. I will check with them.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:27 PM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
The dealer can most likely disable it, however, you will probably be looking at an hour worth of labor. Personally, I would either plug it in, or buy a seatbelt head from a scrapyard or somewhere and just plug that in there.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Koby will become famous soon enough
the warning on my 997.2 C2S doesnt start chiming until i drive off (and reach a speed of around 10-15km/hr), so i'm guessing there must be a program. but as mentioned above, too many dealers wary of liabilities to do so...

Old 10-21-2009, 11:52 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Koby
the warning on my 997.2 C2S doesnt start chiming until i drive off (and reach a speed of around 10-15km/hr), so i'm guessing there must be a program. but as mentioned above, too many dealers wary of liabilities to do so...
What country are you in? Mine starts up as soon as I turn the key - before the engine starts - like if I just want to play around with PCM. It stop so soon though I forget about it before I even think to worry.

I know this is not helpful, I'm just curious about what other countries get by with that we here in "land of the free" don't.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:28 AM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
Not persistent, but really loud. When I pull into the garage, for example, and unlatch the belt before I turn off the ignition I get the annoying seven bongs. Same thing when getting in the car; when I turn the key the warning sounds if I haven't fastened the belts.

This isn't a case of wanting to usurp the system so I can go belt-less. I always wear my seat belt. It's just funny that my Volvo, reputedly the safest car company in the world, has NO seat belt warning chime.
with your pleasant replies im surprised why noone has helped yet(sarcastic)

also, if your volvo is new, you own a ford... the old ones were tanks.. the new ones are crap.

have you ever thought porsche doesnt want negative advertising by owners that die using their product and they are going over and beyond to keep us all safe and wearing our seatbelt? something like 80% of wrecks happen within 2 miles of your home .. so keeping us from taking it off right before we get to the house is actually saving our lives in the case of a wreck.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:56 AM
Koby will become famous soon enough
i'm in Hong Kong, and frankly i think the only thing they care about here is if you can make it back to spend more money on something else....

Originally Posted by stevepow
What country are you in? Mine starts up as soon as I turn the key - before the engine starts - like if I just want to play around with PCM. It stop so soon though I forget about it before I even think to worry.

I know this is not helpful, I'm just curious about what other countries get by with that we here in "land of the free" don't.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:01 AM
It's like that annoying headlight chime.

I left my lights on and this young woman noticed and said "your lights are on - oh, they probably will go off automatically". Sure, they'll go off automatically once the battery is dead , so "no they won't, thank you so much for reminding me"!

Seriously, that chime must be louder on the cabs - I was in my car earlier in the garage putting the visors back on after getting the Airbag labels off - yes, I can appreciate the irony here - and I put the key in to make sure all was well and the vanity mirrors still lit up. That seat belt chime was nothing - thought I'd left my headlights on for a sec.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seat Belt Warning Chime