997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Daily Driver? Need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 04:06 PM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
2008 C2S 24K miles DD, and I love every minute of it!

Old 12-06-2009, 09:40 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Nothing prevents you from using 18" rims. PASM is optimized for 19" rims, that`s true, but with both 18" and 19" rims external diameter of tires stays pretty much the same if you choose right tire model.
Most of people who track their cars use 18" rims there. There are no issues with this.
Oh yes, if they'll fit over the calipers, there would be no problem picking the right tire size to keep the circumference the same. I'm still puzzling over this though:
Most of people who track their cars use 18" rims there.
Do they turn off the PASM and use same 35/30 profile tires as with 19" rims, in order to get a higher gear ratio? Surely they don't find better track times with the lower tire stability a deeper profile brings? I know people who'd have put a rubber Hoosier belt around their rims and painted it black if they thought tech inspection would pass it.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:46 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by utkinpol
I think somebody here recently wrote up a review of RE-11 Potenza tires and stated that they are much quieter and less bumpy than PS2 tires.

I just replaced 19" PS2 with 18" PA2 and, well, I completely forgot that my car can ride so smooth on non-perfect road. Even worst bumps are subdued now. May be if you have DD car then for summer time RE-11 or even some other softer tires on 18" rims will do you best service.
\

Stock are the Pirelli p Zero. I just got a winter/tire package with 18 inchers.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:00 AM
bwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to all
Interesting thread. I bought my '08 C2S in July and have been alternating weeks between that and my '06 M5 (which now has 50k miles on it). I have thought about selling the M5 and just DDing the C2S, but I probably won't for 2 main reasons: (1) the versatility of the M5 is pretty hard to beat, and it's plenty of fun to drive - much quieter and smoother than the C2S also; and (2) the values on an M5 with 50k miles (without an extended warranty) is utterly dismal. I feel like the car is WORTH more to me than the current market value. It's still in terrific shape, has been mechanically rock solid, I've got a spare set of M5 rims AND 18" snows on separate winter rims, I should probably just hold onto it.

When that changes, the combination of C2S and a Cayenne GTS might become veeerrryyy interesting...

Old 12-07-2009, 10:23 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bwiele
Interesting thread. I bought my '08 C2S in July and have been alternating weeks between that and my '06 M5 (which now has 50k miles on it). I have thought about selling the M5 and just DDing the C2S, but I probably won't for 2 main reasons: (1) the versatility of the M5 is pretty hard to beat, and it's plenty of fun to drive - much quieter and smoother than the C2S also; and (2) the values on an M5 with 50k miles (without an extended warranty) is utterly dismal. I feel like the car is WORTH more to me than the current market value. It's still in terrific shape, has been mechanically rock solid, I've got a spare set of M5 rims AND 18" snows on separate winter rims, I should probably just hold onto it.

When that changes, the combination of C2S and a Cayenne GTS might become veeerrryyy interesting...
Well, again, DD definition differs for different people. Our family has 3 cars now, so, my DD activities are pretty much limited to my personal transportation plus occasional drop-off of my kid to his school.

997 can perform all those tasks superbly, as well as occasional light shopping - trunk fits 5 full paper bags, as I measured it. As for DD`ing 997 car in winter on salty roads - there is some legit fear about gaskets etc but it also should be noted that 997 bottom surface is very well protected by huge plastic shield. In your case price of M5 and 997 car is somewhat comparable, so, it is tough call which car to choose to be neglected and expose to the elements.

In my case I simply has another car I do not need to worry about much, so, it is obvious decision to let 997 to wait salty times over. And nothing prevents it from being used on nice clean winter days which will be plenty all winter long, of course.