997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PDK problem or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 04:43 PM
greenpdk is a jewel in the roughgreenpdk is a jewel in the roughgreenpdk is a jewel in the rough
Question PDK problem or not?

I've had my CS2 2009 now for about 6 months and I am trying to decide weather I have a dealer fixable problem or not. The PDK update seems to have fixed some of the issues but I still get a clunking sound when in auto mode and shifting from 2-1. Also get clunking sounds from drive to park and reverse to park or drive. Any one else get these noises? Is this just the way the trans. operates? Very annoying to experience this on a $100k car.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:52 PM
type997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant future
No clunking here, that doesn't sound normal. Hard shifts and jerking once in a while but no noise.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:55 PM
greenpdk is a jewel in the roughgreenpdk is a jewel in the roughgreenpdk is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by type997
No clunking here, that doesn't sound normal. Hard shifts and jerking once in a while but no noise.
Thanks for the response. Anyone else had this issue? Will the tranny need to be replaced to solve this?

Last edited by greenpdk; 12-19-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by type997
By the way, the hard shifts and jerking went away with the update. It's the clunking that won't leave.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:14 PM
type997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant future
Good luck with it. I'll check on the PDK update for my car next month with it's first service.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:12 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
All automatics have a slight jolt when getting out/in of P Park - that is normal.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:09 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Remember PDK is not a soft shifting automatic....there will be a clunking sound as the disc's shift around. I can hear mine do this too on a very slow stop with the radio off.

Also in sport mode the positive fast hard upshifts are a good thing.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:14 PM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
You need to test drive a dealer car. Separately, have a tech ride with you in your car.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:48 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
Remember PDK is not a soft shifting automatic....there will be a clunking sound as the disc's shift around. I can hear mine do this too on a very slow stop with the radio off.

Also in sport mode the positive fast hard upshifts are a good thing.
Agreed. This is not a Lexus tranny. Every time I drive it, I discover new facets of this superb sports car tranny.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:40 AM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by greenpdk
I've had my CS2 2009 now for about 6 months and I am trying to decide weather I have a dealer fixable problem or not. The PDK update seems to have fixed some of the issues but I still get a clunking sound when in auto mode and shifting from 2-1. Also get clunking sounds from drive to park and reverse to park or drive. Any one else get these noises? Is this just the way the trans. operates? Very annoying to experience this on a $100k car.
The tranny is a bit noisy compared to some other hi-perf. autos but nothing that bothers me too much. In fact the more I drive it the less I notice it. I didn't even get the updated software for it.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
If its a really loud clunking - then thats not right. If you're looking for a Lexus like shift - thats not what this is. I love my PDK. This is a performance car - but its not luxo, rattle free, noise free. Not as tight, hard and fast that it is.

Why dont you take it in. Not sure trying to diagnose it over the internet makes sense.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Rodsky
If its a really loud clunking - then thats not right. If you're looking for a Lexus like shift - thats not what this is. I love my PDK. This is a performance car - but its not luxo, rattle free, noise free. Not as tight, hard and fast that it is.

Why dont you take it in. Not sure trying to diagnose it over the internet makes sense.
I did take it in and got a bit of a stall till after the first of the year. Porsche reps tied up till then. The service guy heard the noises and said he would check out a new car to compare. Waiting to hear back.

I went to the dealership today to drive a new one and see for myself. The car was a CS2 like mine. I observed no clunking sounds like mine. Slight noises but nothing to speak of. I'm not expecting a Lexus experience, just want the car to be as designed. Like I said before the noises are most noticeable when going from 2-1 or in and out of park, drive & reverse. Anyone have an idea what the fix will be? New tranny? I hope not. I don't like the idea of them tearing into the car.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:05 AM
03LX470 is on a distinguished road
What happened finally?

Old 01-11-2014, 01:05 AM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
All these comparisons to Lexus. Does Lexus have a transmission similar to the PDK or is the PDK compared to a regular Lexus automatic?

Old 01-11-2014, 02:07 AM
03LX470 is on a distinguished road
The OP clarified he's not expecting Lexus like transmission. He just has a sound louder than normal or expected so he just wants to be sure everything's ok. I've had few P cars with PDK and all were having the small sound and small thump which is characteristic of pdk. However I recently sat in one where both the sound and thump were unusual (loud
and very sudden). I was curious what Porsche diagnosed for the OP and what remedy was offered.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK problem or not?