997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Stainless Steel braided lines in Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Stainless Steel braided lines in Engine Bay

Anyone do anything special in their engine bay?

Now that I have that big beautiful stainless steel SC back there, everyone wants to see it- but when I open the decklid, I feel my engine bay could use a little dressing up!

Was thinking of:
-respraying the plastic roto-molded intake pipes for the SC, maybe red?
-respraying the intercooler black?
-polishing the SC, just to clean it up a little
-using some SS braided lines and color-matched clamps, etc.

What have you all seen that's cool?
CATTMAN

Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2010, 07:59 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Not trying to be picky, but that shiny SC isn't stainless steel. I believe it is cast aluminum. Nice install BTW.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Thanks!
Regardless, it makes the rest of the engine bay look shabby by comparison! Doesn't anyone have a dressed up bay?
CATTMAN

Old 02-04-2010, 08:19 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I agree with what Stacy told you: save your money. Plus, why would you want to take attention away from the SC? I so seldom look under my "hood" that I see no point in dressing it up.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:01 PM
The way I see it, I am not taking away attention from the charger, just making the shabby bits look a bit better.

And I was like you, I so seldom opened the rear hatch, but now that the SC is in there, people are always asking me to pop the rear hatch so they can see it. I though, shoot for less than $100 I can make it look substantially better in there.

If I can get some advice I'll take it, and if not I'll blaze a trail and post pics, etc.
CATTMAN

Old 02-05-2010, 06:13 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Honestly, I like the raw look. No waste, dressing something up to look different. Why spend time and money for no gain? Keep the bay closed and remain a sleeper. Let people guess why you are so quick on the track

Old 02-05-2010, 06:33 AM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Possibly a thought would be:

1) Take some of the rubber lines and re-route under "metal" based items and tie a few together if possible. (Goal there to show-off more of the aluminum where some of the black lines detract)
2) Wonder if it is possible to smooth-out and polish the plastic items heading into the S/C so the look similar in finish, but then create an nice aluminum plate for on that blow-molded section showing "3.6L Supercharged"...etc. Something tastefull.
3) Shorten the longer band clamps (the threaded sections), and if possible twist the nut tightening section to be under out-of-the-way. The stainless band standing alone looks excellent! (And heck if you're over we can make short work of #3 in my basement laboratory of all-things-mechanical)

Old 02-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by KaamaCat
Possibly a thought would be:

1) Take some of the rubber lines and re-route under "metal" based items and tie a few together if possible. (Goal there to show-off more of the aluminum where some of the black lines detract)
2) Wonder if it is possible to smooth-out and polish the plastic items heading into the S/C so the look similar in finish, but then create an nice aluminum plate for on that blow-molded section showing "3.6L Supercharged"...etc. Something tastefull.
3) Shorten the longer band clamps (the threaded sections), and if possible twist the nut tightening section to be under out-of-the-way. The stainless band standing alone looks excellent! (And heck if you're over we can make short work of #3 in my basement laboratory of all-things-mechanical)

Great thoughts, Bob, I'll get to your basement lab shortly, and look forward to seeing you this weekend!
CATTMAN

Old 02-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Fly
Fly is infamous around these parts
Next you will need a clear plexi rear deck!

Old 02-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Fly
Fly is infamous around these parts
360 style...

Old 02-05-2010, 01:39 PM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
** Side note reminder for anyone in the Atlanta area that had asked. Check-out the Southeast posting for the C&O event on Sunday. Should be sunny out **

Once again..........Back to the show!!

Old 02-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Former Vendor
Gary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond repute
Replace your rubber hoses with stuff from Earl's Performance Plumbing:

http://www.holley.com/Index.asp?division=Earls