997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Track Day Tire Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:02 AM
pcs
pcs has a spectacular aura aboutpcs has a spectacular aura about
Track Day Tire Suggestions?

Anybody have any thoughts on dedicated track tires for my '06 C4s?

I am planning on buying an extra set of wheels and tires for track days. My first thought was to stay with the 19" wheels and get a set of Hoosier R6's, but I can't get enough camber with my stock lower front arms. It also looks like 18" may be better for the track - so does anyone have any suggestions for best performing tires (size, brand, and model) for my car?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:22 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
This subject has a huge database behind it. Try a search on "track tires", "R-comp", etc. and you'll probably find dozens of threads with very specific suggestsions based on varying skill levels. You might also try the other Internet Brands website RennList in their 997 and Racing / DE forums.

Sounds like this is your 1st set and that might imply you are in one of the novice or intermediate run groups. If so, avoid Hoosiers like the plague. I've been doing this / instructing for years and I don't even touch Hoosiers. No reason to - expensive, less forgiving, less feedback, etc. Moderate options include Toyo R888 and my favorite RA1 in 245/305 18". With 997 you need to consider the 25" front tire diameter and 26" rear - not many track tires made in those diameters. If 19, then you have R888 (which I ran and they are pretty good, though loud), Michelin PSCup (hybrid tire, not a "real" cup), and Pirelli Corsa.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:32 AM
pcs
pcs has a spectacular aura aboutpcs has a spectacular aura about
The RA1's are looking good - would you go for 8" or 8.5" wheels in the front (for 245/40 18's)? I am assuming the 18 x 11's for the rears.

Thanks again.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:48 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Check out my signature - 8.5x18 front and 11x18 rear Volk TE37. Tire Rack no longer carries them but there was a full-sized ad in the new Excellence that listed a new US importer. The OZ Alleggerita (sp?) looks like a good option too. One other problem with the RA1 is there are limited supplies left - I picked up 2 extra sets this winter when they were on a half-price sale. If you get RA1s, be sure to shave them. I go with 5/32, yet others shave to 4/32 or even 6/32. Point is 8/32 is way too tall unless using them for rains.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:52 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
For 18" wheels go 9x18 (can do 8.5x18) 12x18 rear. Toyo R888 or RA1's are the only thing I've found in the proper sizes.

245-40-18 front
305-35-18 rear

OR
255-35-18 front
315-30-18 rear

These deminsions will keep the front to rear diameter with in the 4% tolerence so that it will not mess with ABS.

If you go with 19" wheels just use the stock sizes with Toyo R888...the Toyo's have much better grip in 19" than the faux r-comp Michelin Sport Cups do...plus the R888's will tolerate less front camber. Like RonCT said Pirelli has a tire for 19" that is really good but really really really expensive and totally not worth it for DE's.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:21 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I agree with Ron on the Hoosiers if you are a novice, and even an intermediate level driver. When you are advanced, Hoosiers are a lot of fun, amazing amounts of grip. I started using Hoosiers last season, and wouldn't consider another dry tire.

As for your alignment, I am running a OEM alignment (ROW performance) and all the specs of this alignment as well as the NA Performance is achievable with stock components. My tires wear flat on the street and the track.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:48 AM
blown996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mdrums
For 18" wheels go 9x18 (can do 8.5x18) 12x18 rear. Toyo R888 or RA1's are the only thing I've found in the proper sizes.

245-40-18 front
305-35-18 rear

OR
255-35-18 front
315-30-18 rear

These deminsions will keep the front to rear diameter with in the 4% tolerence so that it will not mess with ABS.

If you go with 19" wheels just use the stock sizes with Toyo R888...the Toyo's have much better grip in 19" than the faux r-comp Michelin Sport Cups do...plus the R888's will tolerate less front camber. Like RonCT said Pirelli has a tire for 19" that is really good but really really really expensive and totally not worth it for DE's.
I have MSPC's in 18's, how can you tell if they're real or "faux". Did they stop making the real one's?

Old 03-14-2010, 12:08 PM
All Cups other than the 19" OEM "N-rated" are "real". I used to run 18s on my M3 and they were the real deal. There's a thread over at RL that shows a real 235 19" next to the "faux" N-rated Porsche version and you can see the physical differences. Rain channels are about 2x as wide. The compound is different and if I had to guess I'd say it's the same as they use in the PS2. My Traqmate data shows the same grip characteristics on the 19" Porsche Cup and the PS2.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by RonCT
All Cups other than the 19" OEM "N-rated" are "real". I used to run 18s on my M3 and they were the real deal. There's a thread over at RL that shows a real 235 19" next to the "faux" N-rated Porsche version and you can see the physical differences. Rain channels are about 2x as wide. The compound is different and if I had to guess I'd say it's the same as they use in the PS2. My Traqmate data shows the same grip characteristics on the 19" Porsche Cup and the PS2.
Thanks for the info. I'm on my second set of MSPC's. I should try something different next time for comparison sake.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:26 PM
To be honest with you, running 18" Cups on a 996 is probably the best tire you could possibly run. Pretty much all of my friends that track with me that are on the 996 platform run 18" Cups. Their only downside is cold and wet, but in the dry and warm / hot, they are fantastic. Then again, I know some guys that really like the Nitto NT01...

Old 03-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by RonCT
To be honest with you, running 18" Cups on a 996 is probably the best tire you could possibly run. Pretty much all of my friends that track with me that are on the 996 platform run 18" Cups. Their only downside is cold and wet, but in the dry and warm / hot, they are fantastic. Then again, I know some guys that really like the Nitto NT01...
Thats true. My last track day last year was in October, it took a few laps to get them to stick. Just orderd a set of the OZ Allegerita's to put my track tires on. Last 2 years I drove all summer and fall on the MSPC's.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Ron, Ed or others,

My RS will arrive soon and it will come with MPSC.

I plan to use these as my dry track tires as I'm not good enough for Hoosiers.

I've never driven MPSC. Can I also use them for wet track days (it always rain in Vancouver)? or should I get a set of PS2 or others? Thanks.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:46 PM
There's really no difference between the 19" cups that will come on your GT3 than the PS2s. I've run both on my 07 GT3. Yes, the PS2 is a little better in the rain, but not dramatically so. I've used 19" Porsche Cups on the wet track without any problems, but not the "real" cups - downright dangerous. Same with in the cold.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:03 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Tim, I wouldn't be caught in the wet with 19" Cups, I have a set and they are scarry in the wet. I make sure you wear out your Cups as quickly as possible in the dry summer days and then put a set of PS2's on for the street, get anothe set of wheels for the track and get an Toyo 888, or something that will be good for wet and dry track days, or if you want to stick to one set of wheels, go for the Toyo's ASA you wear out the Cups.

How much longer until the car arrives?

Old 03-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Ron and Ed. Why are we all sitting in front of the computer on a Sunday afternoon?

I'm still confused. Ron said yes, Ed said no...are we talking the same MPSC that comes stock with the GT3?

My RS is now stuck at port (Halifax), waiting for clearance from Porsche. Still 3 to 4 weeks away for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track Day Tire Suggestions?