997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

TODAY IS A GREAT DAY!!!! The VF Supercharger transformation begins……

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:43 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Very impressive progress guys!

Old 03-21-2010, 07:06 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I can't believe how quickly this has gone. I think Stacy sneeked into the garage during the night and put in a few more hours of work that he hasn't counted.

Stacy: I changed my mind, I want the SC back now.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:22 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JEllis
After I heard about the supercharger rubbing issue I actually thought that doing different motor mounts might help. Are these actually part of a engine lowering kit or are they just stiffer. I believe you can actually buy a kit to lower the engine. Not sure where I saw it but I know it exists.

Jason
Jason you DO NOT want to lower the motor...NOT even 1/32nd".....the charger WILL hit the bottom tray.In both of my installs(mine and Vinnies) I gently massaged the bottom tray to create room.If the charger contacts any metal that knocking sound MAY trigger the knock sensors on the motor,thus reducing the timing in the motor and robbing you of power!

Originally Posted by NorthVan
Very impressive progress guys!
Thanks Ed,
I tried REALLY hard to impress all of you guys with a quick install......
Vinnie DID save me about 20 mins of work with the under-tray removal!
BUT I gotta say I kept him busy cleaning parts....ROFL

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I can't believe how quickly this has gone. I think Stacy sneeked into the garage during the night and put in a few more hours of work that he hasn't counted.

Stacy: I changed my mind, I want the SC back now.
No sneaking Ken,
Can't you tell by the late night pics,that my camera skills were a bit intoxicated.........so there is NO way I could of been turning wrenches!
My head HIT the pillow snoring last night!

You want the charger back.....come get it.......GOOD-LUCK

Stacy

P.S. Vinnie HAS left the building.....!
Now for some quality time with my wife......YEAH RIGHT!

Last edited by justatoy; 03-21-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JEllis
After I heard about the supercharger rubbing issue I actually thought that doing different motor mounts might help. Are these actually part of a engine lowering kit or are they just stiffer. I believe you can actually buy a kit to lower the engine. Not sure where I saw it but I know it exists.

Jason
They are designed to limit the movement of the engine. Like adding stiffer suspension components- similar deal. I don't believe they have any need unless you track the car, or are convinced that you can "feel" the engine moving during cornering.

As per Wevo's site:
"The WEVO 997 SS Engine Mount is designed to offer more precise control of the drivetrain mass. Our experience with the whole family of SS Mount products has illustrated that most drivers experience the sensation of the drivetrain unit moving relative to the chassis mass. The drivetrain in a Porsche is independently suspended from the sprung mass of the car via the compliance in the engine and transmission mounts. This drivetrain assembly represents approximately 25% of the sprung weight of the car. The opportunity for forces to move the drivetrain comes from many inputs, such as the torque reaction of vehicle acceleration loads, the bumps and variations in the road surface and the lateral forces created in cornering and braking. That degree of independent movement of the drivetrain is responsible for some of the “sloppy” feeling that is evident when the performance envelope of the vehicle is explored. The higher the forces, the higher the deflections in the hydro-elastic mounts, therefore the deflections and movement of the drivetrain mass begin to operate out of phase with the movement of the car as a whole. For Racing the factory eliminate the hydro elastic mounts and install solid engine mount positions – marrying together the mass of the drivetrain and the sprung mass of the car."

In terms of the charger hitting the decklid, that shouldn't happen, especially since you can adjust the decklid hight with the 2 bolts in each side. Mine used to rub, but a quick turn of the 10m socket and it's all clear now, easy breezy.
CATTMAN

Last edited by Cattman; 03-21-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:09 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
In terms of the charger hitting the decklid, that shouldn't happen, especially since you can adjust the decklid hight with the 2 bolts in each side. Mine used to rub, but a quick turn of the 10m socket and it's all clear now, easy breezy.
CATTMAN
I have bought two chargers with the same FLAT spot on top (from hitting the deck-lid).....
So on my install I knew something HAD to be done...So I did adjust my deck-lid....to make it so it wouldn't hit the deck-lid.BUT under HARD acceleration it would of had to be a lot higher than the fender.....
So that is why I am trying these Wevo engine mounts....they ARE stiffer and should not move nearly as much as the factory 'JELLO' mounts.
I could move the factory mounts with my hand...and these do not have very many miles on them!
We will see soon enough!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 03-21-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
What's involved in installing engine mounts, Stacy?
CATTMAN
PS I'm really quite impressed with your pace on this install! 2nd time's a breeze compared to the first, eh?

Old 03-21-2010, 08:21 PM
What's involved in installing engine mounts, Stacy?
CATTMAN
PS I'm really quite impressed with your pace on this install! 2nd time's a breeze compared to the first, eh?
REALLY easy...
Only opened the instructions twice....
Once to confirm the pulleys on the bracket of the charger
and to check the home link box!

Engine mounts were 10 mins of work.
Put the jack under the motor plate,undo the lower/under bolt and then the top 2 bolts.I did one side at a time.
3 bolts and IT is done...seriously 10 mins!
These mounts look stellar....amazing quality!
I just hope they solve the problem I have bought them for!

Stacy

Old 03-21-2010, 08:28 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Great info guys... there is actually a DIY write up on the WEVO's in the GT3/RS forum. If not I know another forum that has a DIY on them as well.

Jason

Old 03-22-2010, 10:23 AM
CanuckC4S has a spectacular aura aboutCanuckC4S has a spectacular aura about
What a weekend!

I can’t believe the progress that’s happened over the weekend. When I got into this I didn’t know what to expect. One thing is for sure is Stacy must have double jointed arms from the ways he had to contort them to do some of the installing required. Below is everything that was accomplished this weekend:
Car torn apart, Injectors installed, Wevo engine motor mounts, Charger fitted and mounted, Oil lines installed, All vacuum lines done, All charged pipes in, Crank case hose done, Fixed smog pump connection, Stacy's custom oil catch can installed, Mount reservoirs front and back ,Front radiator mounted, and Removed DME/ECU
I’m pretty sure that Stacy could do this entire install over a weekend, if he did full days, we had the wiring guy there and the VF tuned DME/ECU.
I’m also pretty sure that if Stacy and someone like Cattman was there to do it with him this install could be done in one day. Yes, I said one day!
All in all this experience has been damn exciting and can’t wait to see and feel the results!

Last edited by CanuckC4S; 03-22-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by CanuckC4S
I can’t believe the progress that’s happened over the weekend. When I got into this I didn’t know what to expect. One thing is for sure is Stacy must have double jointed arms from the ways he had to contort them to do some of the installing required. Below is everything that was accomplished this weekend:
Car torn apart, Injectors installed, Wevo engine motor mounts, Charger fitted and mounted, Oil lines installed, All vacuum lines done, All charged pipes in, Crank case hose done, Fixed smog pump connection, Stacy's custom oil catch can installed, Mount reservoirs front and back ,Front radiator mounted, and Removed DME/ECU
I’m pretty sure that Stacy could do this entire install over a weekend, if he did full days, we had the wiring guy there and the VF tuned DME/ECU.
I’m also pretty sure that if Stacy and someone like Cattman was there to do it with him this install could be done in one day. Yes, I said one day!
All in all this experience has been damn exciting and can’t wait to see and feel the results!
Are you kidding me.....two guys who have done this install before we NOT only would have it done in one day BUT we would still be able to make the ballet by 7pm.....

Stacy

Old 03-22-2010, 06:33 PM
I threw down the gauntlet months ago, betting we could do it in 1 day. And I still believe we can. We might get that chance with JEllis next in sunny San Diego.

Do they have ballet there? Or maybe figure skating?
CATTMAN

Old 03-22-2010, 06:36 PM
I threw down the gauntlet months ago, betting we could do it in 1 day. And I still believe we can. We might get that chance with JEllis next in sunny San Diego.

CATTMAN
Everywhere has 'ballet'.......BUT here in Canada it leaves nothing to the imagination!
Now if they could do it on skates...I would watch that too!

Stacy

Old 03-22-2010, 09:06 PM
CanuckC4S has a spectacular aura aboutCanuckC4S has a spectacular aura about
Spoke with VF today, they seem like pretty good guys and sent the ECU out to them should have it back by mid next week.

Originally Posted by justatoy
Everywhere has 'ballet'.......BUT here in Canada it leaves nothing to the imagination!
Now if they could do it on skates...I would watch that too!

Stacy
I thought in the US you can get the full show but you can only have pop/soda. BTW they do it on skates, google it!

CATTMAN
Cattman after what I saw this weekend I guarantee you'd have it done in a day. The only problem is you'll probably get stuck under the car because Stacy cant handle the dirt.

JEllis you got to take the SC plunge so we can see this all happen.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:04 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
If the one-day install happens in San Diego, I may have to drive down and capture it on video.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Well,I got the DME back from VF engineering and managed to run CanuckC4S(Vinnie) car today.....

I first checked that I had good vacuum at idle(22 in).I then decided to take it for a drive(and YES I have Vinnies blessing)! I started slow checking the data logs on my Durametric.......and everything seemed OK.Drove around 20 or so miles with traffic and then went to my test area to do some WOT(wide open throttle) pulls in 3rd gear.....
I first checked the boost using a gauge and it was making right around 6 PSI, so NO boost leaks.....
I then entered the weight of Vinnies car into the Gtech and did some pulls(5 of them back to back)....
So far I have averaged 386 netRWHP with the Gtech.....we figure that would translate to 420-430 RWHP on a dyno(using Cattmans figures from his dyno session).This all with factory exhaust.....Vinnie will be adding AWE headers and high flow cats soon!
Vinnie is going to be a happy guy soon!..........IF I give him the car back,LOL!

Stacy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TODAY IS A GREAT DAY!!!! The VF Supercharger transformation begins……