997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

sport mode/sport plus mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 06:18 PM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
sport mode/sport plus mode

on my old 2005 s i had to lift off the gas pedal before the sport modes would engage (after pressing button)

Do the 997.2s work the same way?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:02 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P997S
on my old 2005 s i had to lift off the gas pedal before the sport modes would engage (after pressing button)

Do the 997.2s work the same way?
No. Are you sure it did that in the '05?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:13 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adias
No. Are you sure it did that in the '05?
ADias, I do remember something in the manual about the effects of shifting mode "will engage the first time you [do something]". I'll have to look it up. Since it didn't apply to my car I didn't pay enough attention. I think it said "the first time you apply full throttle or brake heavily" but it's a useless memory. I am almost certain it doesn't say anything about lifting.

Will go see what the book says in a minute.

Gary

Old 04-01-2010, 07:18 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by simsgw
ADias, I do remember something in the manual about the effects of shifting mode "will engage the first time you [do something]". I'll have to look it up. Since it didn't apply to my car I didn't pay enough attention. I think it said "the first time you apply full throttle or brake heavily" but it's a useless memory. I am almost certain it doesn't say anything about lifting.

Will go see what the book says in a minute.

Gary
In my car ('10 997.2S) I can switch SC from Normal to Sport to Sport Plus at any time and becomes effective at the time of the switch. I do it every day.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:21 PM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
I'm positive on my 2005 I had to lift my foot off the gas and repress for it to engage sport

Old 04-02-2010, 11:41 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P997S
I'm positive on my 2005 I had to lift my foot off the gas and repress for it to engage sport
yeah i read that in the manual for 07

u can press the sport button anytime (and the light will come on instantly) but manual states something that suggests the actual mode will not engage until the throttle is lifted..

Old 04-02-2010, 12:49 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
That is interesting, I know on my '08 when I'm in sport mode and disengage it without letting off the throttle I can feel it, hear it, and see it drop rpms. Not sure about engaging sport mode...

Old 04-02-2010, 12:56 PM
ggmike is on a distinguished road
I think this is true, and makes sense from a safety perspective. If you have your foot down at 30% throttle, engaging sport mode would effectively change that to 60% throttle. That could cause a problem if you do this in traffic, could cause you to lunge forward or lose control of the car. I think that's why they wait for you to lift off the throttle before it takes effect.

The suspension does tighten up right away as soon as you hit the button. No real safety issues there...

Old 04-02-2010, 02:17 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
offtopic-

ntlgnt1 - every time i see ur car next to mine.. i start to wonder how YOUR aerokit will look on my cab..

ur avatar is gonna cost me $

Old 04-02-2010, 02:25 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
offtopic-

ntlgnt1 - every time i see ur car next to mine.. i start to wonder how YOUR aerokit will look on my cab..

ur avatar is gonna cost me $
Thanks crazycarlitos, I do love the factory aero kit. Your car looks fantastic as is. But, if you do get the itch, consider making yours like JoeShark's. I think he has one of the sharpest I've ever seen. Of course getting everything painted in GT Silver may be a pain:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...pictureid=7097

Old 04-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
The Sport mode 'engages' partly the moment you press the button.

Some of the elements come into play immediately such as changes to suspension in a PASM car.

The element that doesn't kick in instantly is the throttle pedal to throttle setting mapping. That requires you to lift off the throttle pedal first, otherwise the current position of the throttle would map to a higher throttle opening setting and you'd get this jump in throttle and sudden accelleration just from pressing the SPORT button. Its a safety feature.