997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I've dared the 997TT forum...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:41 PM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
sometimes it is fun to race at a stoplight - when i say race i mean just to maybe 80..fun to use launch control (i assume since im waiting to get to 500 miles - though i used it twice on test drive)

Old 04-06-2010, 07:38 PM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
nice, subscribed

Nice, real cars guys will love this.... Lots of tools out there that want to race so they can say they have the best/fastest car blah blah blah... then there is good old fashion genuine comparison with respect given to modded and stock cars and done just to know. Where a car maybe faster but both owners knows it may not be "better"... its just one line of comparion and fun factoid. Thanks for doing this.... Those that get their panties all in a knot over this just ignore... do it, tape it, do it safe and post results!!!! Props to the TT owner that takes you up on it...

Old 04-06-2010, 09:03 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I think,and correct me IF I am wrong John.....It is all about having fun!
C'mon, it`s such an old geezer talk, it gives me shivers. So you`ll wreck your priceless TT. So what? You can always buy a new one.
It's not "fun" to push a car to an untested limit and risk the danger . Replacing a car is not the issue . Safety is.

A supercharged 997s is not an OEM Porsche so what's he's considering is taking his car to its limit . It lacks the traction of AWD . It lacks the sophistication of the 500+Gt2 . It lacks the linear acceleration control of a Turbo. There's risk .

It's one thing to supercharge a 997S and take a short sprint and quite another to compete against a 997 Turbo in its strongest events.

But hey, he's a grown man . He can decide for himself .

Old 04-07-2010, 12:03 AM
muerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to all
"It lacks the traction of AWD . It lacks the sophistication of the 500+Gt2 . It lacks the linear acceleration control of a Turbo. There's risk ."

yrallis1...not sure what you are talking about here. Your argument is about safety. Then you talk traction. AWD traction advantage disapears very quickly as you move through the gears. Safety doesn't really become an issue until you get well into 3rd/4th. By then 4wd vs. 2wd is meaningless in a straight run. Then you point to the GT2 which is 2wd and somehow is able to lay down the power.

Just want to point out a simple fact. The TT is a great car, easily modifiable and faster than snot. However, it is also a 4wd (many consider 4wd to be just a bunch of extra mass in the front), has the negatives that a turbo brings in addition to the extra power (lag), and its suspension/road feel is tuned a bit soft for many purists.

I always hear about the 4wd drive advantage from the TT drivers. Then you hear about the first mod the TT owners do when they start to track...remove front dif and drivetrain. Must be a great advantage.

Anyhow...my 2 cents is do the test. Do it as safe as possible. Post results.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:33 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
yrallis1...not sure what you are talking about here. Your argument is about safety. Then you talk traction. AWD traction advantage disapears very quickly as you move through the gears. Safety doesn't really become an issue until you get well into 3rd/4th. By then 4wd vs. 2wd is meaningless in a straight run. Then you point to the GT2 which is 2wd and somehow is able to lay down the power.
The Gt2 has been known to be a more extreme car than the Turbo . Perhaps my point with safety is the supercharger . It's not as though Porsche could not have built one for these cars . Instead they chose normally aspirated and Turbo for these specific engine platforms.

In fact .. even the X51 is NOT a supercharger so it's not like Porsche was hesitant to build a power kit (and charge a lot of money for it).

Once he's moving .. that's not the issue. It's how the car makes through the acceleration when pushed to its limits in a race that he probably won't win even if no mishaps occur.

I just don't see the point of the race . A 997S in a drag race just seems (in my opinion) so out of character for what the car's best features are .

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-07-2010 at 04:02 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:18 AM
I always hear about the 4wd drive advantage from the TT drivers. Then you hear about the first mod the TT owners do when they start to track...remove front dif and drivetrain. Must be a great advantage.
It's a street car made for all drivers. The ordinary driver who doesn't track his car may not be able to handle the extra Hp without the AWD .. especially in rain , snow, and city driving .

There is a member in the 997tt forum who wrote some very interesting comparisons of his two cars - a 997tt and 997 Gt2 and how the drivetrain can make driving so different and how alert a driver must be to handle the lack of AWD with high Hp.
like post number 27 https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post1911279
and post number 1 https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-997-gt2.html

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-07-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:32 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
But hey, he's a grown man . He can decide for himself .
Exactomundo.
Plus, running 997 car at 180mph is anyway safer than to run hinda civic at 180mph.

Fastest I ran my stock car at 160-163mph so far and cannot say it was any bad. It runs.

If you get your engine blown at that speed and it locks your rear wheels - you`ll wreck (most likely). But, as you said - we are all grown men over here.
It is not the reason not to have fun. We all will die in the end, it is inevitable.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:42 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
WOW guys...all Cattman IS suggesting is a 1/4 mile run...how high could his MPH be..?
I am POSITIVE that 99% of us have done 1/4 mile speeds in our car's....and NOT in a SAFE environment that CATTMAN is suggesting that this challenge take place!

I know in the other forum they are suggesting 60-130 MPH times......

Heck these are your guys' highway speeds done there.......and that with your wives driving the kids IN the SUV,LOL!(just kidding)....
He is NOT suggesting 180 MPH or the Texas mile.....
He is just looking at the acceleration aspect of the two cars!
Sheeeesh!

Stacy

P.s. Cattman come to Vancouver I will get my best pair of sneakers out and I will race your car to 25 MPH......I think I can run that fast BUT I may need a helmet ,LOL!

Last edited by justatoy; 04-07-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:48 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by justatoy
I know in the other forum they are suggesting 60-130 MPH times......

Heck these are your guys' highway speeds done there.......and that with your wives driving the kids IN the SUV,LOL!(just kidding)....
He is NOT suggesting 180 MPH or the Texas mile.....
He is just looking at the acceleration aspect of the two cars!
Sheeeesh!

Stacy
I greatly suspect Larry does not run his cars on a highway.

And you never run your car at all.

Here in US people just do not know how to drive. a 6 months business trip to Germany would fix that. There is nothing wrong or dangerous in 180mph. Just keep you hands on a wheel, do not speak over cell phone, do not eat your hamburger and drink soda - just drive and look ahead. All (mostly) modern cars are built to do all that just fine.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:44 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
I greatly suspect Larry does not run his cars on a highway.

And you never run your car at all.

Here in US people just do not know how to drive. a 6 months business trip to Germany would fix that. There is nothing wrong or dangerous in 180mph. Just keep you hands on a wheel, do not speak over cell phone, do not eat your hamburger and drink soda - just drive and look ahead. All (mostly) modern cars are built to do all that just fine.
Are you that daft that you really believe this, 180 mph or 290km/h is not a safe speed to travel on the roads, and most modern cars cannot go at this speed, do you think that Audi, MB, BMW and others electronically limit there cars to 155 mph because they want to make your life difficult.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Are you that daft that you really believe this, 180 mph or 290km/h is not a safe speed to travel on the roads, and most modern cars cannot go at this speed, do you think that Audi, MB, BMW and others electronically limit there cars to 155 mph because they want to make your life difficult.
I believe it`s you here who is trying to make my life difficult but do not have a talent to actually do so.
Most of US highways are built correct enough to allow such high speeds, if overall discipline of drivers would be at German`s level. It is a purely a political decision to enforce speed limits as they are.
I lived in Germany for some time, almost an year, and I drove there plenty, so again, yes, I do know a bit about this. I drove a modded MB which could go over stock speed limit and yes it does it fine. Everything is possible when done properly. If anyone chooses to drive a tin bucket with bolts and nuts that goes airborne after 120mph - it is their personal choice. Good cars do not do that.

Last edited by utkinpol; 04-07-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:47 AM
cbzzoom is an unknown quantity at this point
Uhh.. I'm all for higher speed limits and I know the p-car is designed to run very well at high speeds.

But you cannot seriously claim that 180 mph is a safe speed. That's just absurd. A flat tire at that speed is catastrophic. Some unexpected road hazard or swerve from a driver near you is a huge disaster.

It's not even worth having a serious debate about this because it's so ridiculous, but I'll just mention two points : kinetic energy varies as the square, and tire deformation stresses.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:55 AM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
Smile

Cattman, have you tracked your SC'd C2S?

On the drag strip against a 997.1 Turbo, I think you'd have a shot.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by cbzzoom
Uhh.. I'm all for higher speed limits and I know the p-car is designed to run very well at high speeds.

But you cannot seriously claim that 180 mph is a safe speed. That's just absurd. A flat tire at that speed is catastrophic. Some unexpected road hazard or swerve from a driver near you is a huge disaster.

It's not even worth having a serious debate about this because it's so ridiculous, but I'll just mention two points : kinetic energy varies as the square, and tire deformation stresses.
A fallen brick downtown at your forehead would be same catastrophic. It has relatively same probability as a flat tire at high speed.

Again, it is all just a matter of habit. As long as old hens do remember that if they move their crap on wheels into leftest lane they will get an impact of going at 260km/h me - they will stay in right lanes no matter what with no complaints - just because they like this wonderful life and prefer it to a nicely decorated casket.

It is all just a matter of habit and discipline. Tires do not go flat if roads are maintained properly because toll money were spent on roads and not stolen by governors to 'feed the poor' to ensure next election results from local ghettos and give them free ER services. It is all relative.

Last edited by utkinpol; 04-07-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Here in US people just do not know how to drive. a 6 months business trip to Germany would fix that. There is nothing wrong or dangerous in 180mph. Just keep you hands on a wheel, do not speak over cell phone, do not eat your hamburger and drink soda - just drive and look ahead.
There is a very big misconception that 180 mph is somehow safe and it isn't . Forst off any mph over own top end is new territory . A crosswind or an animal crossing the road or any other slight change can show the risk of driving . Even pro drivers in top level circuits crash . Thses are guys who spend their lives practicing .

Even more bizarre is that you believe that a road open to the masses even in Germany somehow makes it safer.

Racing has its risks and it's part of the reason why I haven't entered entered 1 mile events . It's one thing to cautiously sprint a car and another to actively seek a race at the top end.

Maybe part of getting old makes one realize life is fragile and one can have fun without senseless thrill seeking.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I've dared the 997TT forum...