997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I've dared the 997TT forum...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I've dared the 997TT forum...

I tend to live here on the 997 forum, where I've really found a great home of friends, teachers, and supporters.

But I'm really interested in seeing how my 530hp 997SC matches up against a 997TT. So I've requested a daring series of test challenges:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2793340

I hope we can find a few eager gentlemen, and of course, video it all. BTW, this challenge is open to any of the new TPC single T guys, too. Would make for quite a weekend, and I suspect we could get EXCELLENCE interested. And FWIS, I do this out of a sense of obligation, not ego- by now, you guys know that, and that's why even if my car loses, I'm cool knowing I've added value.
CATTMAN

Old 04-05-2010, 10:09 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
I tend to live here on the 997 forum, where I've really found a great home of friends, teachers, and supporters.

But I'm really interested in seeing how my 530hp 997SC matches up against a 997TT. So I've requested a daring series of test challenges:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2793340

I hope we can find a few eager gentlemen, and of course, video it all. BTW, this challenge is open to any of the new TPC single T guys, too. Would make for quite a weekend, and I suspect we could get EXCELLENCE interested. And FWIS, I do this out of a sense of obligation, not ego- by now, you guys know that, and that's why even if my car loses, I'm cool knowing I've added value.
CATTMAN
REP points for starting what could be VERY interesting challenge!
AND humbling for someone....just hopefully it will be them!

Stacy

Old 04-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Hey, thanks brother.
It should be an interesting showdown- if anyone shows. I've been reading the 997TT/ GT2 sub-forums, and it's quite different, worth a quick read.

FWIW: BlaktOut's early SC whipped up on the TT pretty bad 2 years ago if you value Excellence's reviews, and that was before we modded the beast. But still, I want to know the raw data comparisons against the tests I proposed.

Let's hope we find a couple guys who are willing to bang around with guys like us, eh, stacy? I don't know who has more to lose, LOL!
CATTMAN

Old 04-05-2010, 10:35 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Subscribed. Looking forward to how this advances.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:25 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
There are 1 mile events like this one. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...4-10-10-a.html

A lot of fast cars show up but i have never gone. I have considered it but the idea of going 180+ Mph is a bit over the top for me . I haven't said no indefinitely .

One thing -- at whatever speed there is a huge difference between 530 Hp and 700 -800 even factoring in weight . The guys who compete at the top end speeds have shown that they can do very well (997tt is at or near 200 and can pull through the roll with AWD traction).

Do you think yoir car can stand up to this? Do you even want to try? Good luck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0P6VDQ1YDs

Old 04-06-2010, 05:20 AM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
John.... Probably the best idea would be to head up to the Commerce Dragway on Tuesday nights. They have a "test and tune", which I also believe you can get youself heads-up running with someone you want. (Used to be like that when they did it Thursday's).

http://www.atlantadragway.com/apcm/t...010%20Schedule

Only thing I will say is that the track is not the greatest, and their "recovery" process is very slow should someone dump some fluids on the track........BUT........still very safe and you've got a 1/4mile to play with.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:23 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
If you lived in Tampa there are some dragstrips you can go to run against your friends. I am sure somewhere around Atlanta there are some Saturday Night run what you brung events.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 AM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
interested to see the results..i think a 997.2 with pdk using launch control will beat a a stock 996 turbo probably to 100...after that the extra ponies will take over.
the new turbo with pdk and launch control is a beast..ive heard sub 3 seconds to 60...that is super car territory..until this car you had to spend several hundred thousand to do that - if not more....i would love to test drive one..just to feel that power...

Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
I've read both threads, on here as well as on the turbo section. Im not really sure what you hope to gain... I understand you're humble and all, it just seems weird? I had an 08 S before I went to the turbo and that car was awesome for what it was,, a rear wheel drive road carving machine. The turbo is a different animal and most get into it because it is so easily modable. I am sure that if the turbo wasnt as modable most would have gone in a different direction.

what Im saying is that you SC'd your car in hopes of making more power (understanding that all that exhaust/ intake / plenum / whatever is useless on NA cars). Now you have a car that is modded to a certain hp number, what would it prove to run against a stock turbo? why not just run any turbo, with a say just a tune or something small. Thats the beauty of a turbo is that it can make insane power with just simple mods.

Just wondering??

adding this vid just to show you what a mere tune will do for a turbo against a new lp 560 (mind you the turbo is manual, lp is e gear)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08mhzfJ8nNg

Last edited by dinorocz; 04-06-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
This is a great idea. I applaud you and will certainly subscribe to the thread (if I could figure out how!).
I was just wondering if the drag race would be the best way to run this test. In a short run, the AWD of the TT's would really favor them, even if all other things are equal (or better - I hope). So you may need to be ready for some high speeds where you could dilute the effects of an AWD start.
Keep us all posted.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 AM
NVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to behold
Very interesting! Subscribed. I just about bought Blaktout's car. I was thinking very serious and talked to him tons. Just wasn't ready to pull the trigger back then. We became good-distant friends. Great guy. Super interested to hear how this turns out now that I just purchased a modded 996TT.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:13 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cattman
CATTMAN
'Dared' them you did...

Well, even if you will not find a line of volunteers to participate in this I think you still should go to the dragstrip and at least document your numbers.

Would be interesting to have it as a reference point. Same numbers from TT cars are readily available and can be easily compared to, so you do not really need a TT car to run against. But it would be a fun thing to do of course, at least for you.

Last edited by utkinpol; 04-06-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
I will have to send a fleet of turbo caymans to whoop you

Old 04-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
I will have to send a fleet of turbo caymans to whoop you
That's what I'm talking about! Bring it on Casey!
Eh, so far it doesn't look like it's going to happen with a TTs, and I understand.

I didn't pose the challenge to embarrass myself, or anyone else. If my car is quick, great. Quicker by .1 or slower by .1 ultimately is pretty meaningless, as it mostly comes down to transmission (6speed vs. PDK), tires (MPSCups vs. PS2's), and the driver.

I guess my point was: while my SC gives me a great thrill, and it's rewarding to see the HP I gained, and to feel it when I drive, I'd like to know how it stacks up to what I always felt was my dream car, the 997TT.

And based on reviews of the new TT, with sub 3 seconds to 60, and much improved handling over the original 997TT, I think it still is my dream car. So easily modded, too, as Larry and others point out. If stock can do that, what would a modded TT product, LOL, amazing!
CATTMAN

Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
There are 1 mile events like this one.

A lot of fast cars show up but i have never gone. I have considered it but the idea of going 180+ Mph is a bit over the top for me . I haven't said no indefinitely .

One thing -- at whatever speed there is a huge difference between 530 Hp and 700 -800 even factoring in weight . The guys who compete at the top end speeds have shown that they can do very well (997tt is at or near 200 and can pull through the roll with AWD traction).

Do you think yoir car can stand up to this? Do you even want to try? Good luck.
Heck no, I can't compete in that class and I know it- not by a longshot.

I am really just interested to see how I'd do against a stock 997TT. I know yours would eat me for lunch, Larry, but that's not the comparison I'm looking for- I've got more sense that that! Or at least I hope I do
CATTMAN

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I've dared the 997TT forum...