997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Cup kit or Power Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
Cup kit or Power Kit

Has anyone ordered the cup kit or the power kit for the 2010 911

Power kit? any numbers on performance/sound? or is it a waste of money.
It pushes close to the gt3...almost turbo pricing with options.

Cup kit? How does it look on the new 911 any pics?

Thanks

Old 04-10-2010, 01:34 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
My 997.1 S has the Powerkit and, if I had to do it all over, I wouldn't get it. It's not that I'm not happy with it but that now, were I to sell the car, most of the money I paid for it won't be recovered. I absolutely love the X51 option but it makes no financial sense. Had I a spare $15k now, I could easily sell my car with less pain and use that money to buy a newer model or even an used Turbo. Most likely, the Powerkit engine will become the next standard S engine on a subsequent revision to the 997 or in its replacement. It only makes sense if you find a second-hand car with it in it already. Of course, I wouldn't sell my car unless I were to get $5k over a similar non-X51 car even though I may not get someone to agree to this. I guess mine is a keeper for a few more years.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:41 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
By the way, the new Aerokit is all but identical to the 997.1 version as far as the rear decklid is concerned. The only differences that are readily apparent are in the front bumper. My car has it and it makes it stand out and, for the money, it's worthwhile. It's not a matter of if but of when it will scrape on a gradient or gutter... depending where you live, it can be a hindrance. I live in FL so it's not too bad here even though there are a few places I cannot get into at all due to the reduced ground clearance. If I had a GT3, I definitely wouldn't be able to park in my garage as my Carrera S just barely makes it.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Alnoaimi is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cibergypsy
My 997.1 S has the Powerkit and, if I had to do it all over, I wouldn't get it. It's not that I'm not happy with it but that now, were I to sell the car, most of the money I paid for it won't be recovered. I absolutely love the X51 option but it makes no financial sense. Had I a spare $15k now, I could easily sell my car with less pain and use that money to buy a newer model or even an used Turbo. Most likely, the Powerkit engine will become the next standard S engine on a subsequent revision to the 997 or in its replacement. It only makes sense if you find a second-hand car with it in it already. Of course, I wouldn't sell my car unless I were to get $5k over a similar non-X51 car even though I may not get someone to agree to this. I guess mine is a keeper for a few more years.
+1. I bought my X51 used so im okaaay

Old 04-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Alnoaimi
+1. I bought my X51 used so im okaaay

That is the way to get it! I've driven Carrera Ss both with and without X51 and it is definitely worth it to try and find one with it if searching pre-owned. Knowing how they feel, I wouldn't consider one without it and would rather jump then to the '09s or newer. On paper it looks as if the differences aren't that much but, in practice, it does as I can feel the extra power lets me access more of what the chassis can accomplish. It's like on my '87 Carrera with 217 hp that feels a little underpowered and maybe the Euro version, with 231 hp, has that little bit more hp to exploit the chassis better - I am not saying the standard 355 hp Carrera S engine is underpowered but that, by having 26 hp more with X51, it wakes it up that bit more to make it more enjoyable.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:32 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
If you put both the X51 engine option and the Aerokit on a 997.2 S it puts you on the GT3 territory in price... So I would probably get a GT3 instead of a C2S with these options.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:54 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
That is the way to get it! I've driven Carrera Ss both with and without X51 and it is definitely worth it to try and find one with it if searching pre-owned. Knowing how they feel, I wouldn't consider one without it and would rather jump then to the '09s or newer. On paper it looks as if the differences aren't that much but, in practice, it does as I can feel the extra power lets me access more of what the chassis can accomplish. It's like on my '87 Carrera with 217 hp that feels a little underpowered and maybe the Euro version, with 231 hp, has that little bit more hp to exploit the chassis better - I am not saying the standard 355 hp Carrera S engine is underpowered but that, by having 26 hp more with X51, it wakes it up that bit more to make it more enjoyable.
I think the X51 engine'd 997S's are awesome. So I will start with that. And I am sure there is a felt difference. Buuuutttt, didn't Road and Track compare a standard 997S and 997S X51 and find that the X package did not make the car any faster either in a straight line or on the track? Maybe I am thinking of something else..... Figured one of you X51 guys might know?

Jason

Old 04-11-2010, 10:40 PM
I'd read the article on the February 2006 Excellence magazine about the Club Coupé - which is a Carrera S with X51 and other options - to find out how it stacks up to the standard motor. In it they state that the car with X51 pulled away in 3rd and 4th gears slowly but surely.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:54 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
I'd read the article on the February 2006 Excellence magazine about the Club Coupé - which is a Carrera S with X51 and other options - to find out how it stacks up to the standard motor. In it they state that the car with X51 pulled away in 3rd and 4th gears slowly but surely.
I'm sure there is a difference in performance, but the question is whether it's worth the $16k price tag difference... Pair it with PDK, and you'd have a great performing NA car!

Old 04-12-2010, 06:58 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
I'm happy with my cat back exhaust upgrade (aftermarket) + K&N filter. If it's not any faster, it certainly feels faster than stock & sounds great. I flirted with headers, sports cats, chip, etc., for my 997.2 but if you're anything like I am, you must draw the line somewhere

Old 04-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by sin911
If you put both the X51 engine option and the Aerokit on a 997.2 S it puts you on the GT3 territory in price... So I would probably get a GT3 instead of a C2S with these options.
I won't take the GT3. I'd rather have a C2S as a DD than a GT3 with its tough ride.

Buying a GT3 and using it as a DD would cost u a fortune, as u will need a good doctor to get ur back pain hehehheh My personal opinion though

Old 04-12-2010, 04:07 PM
The X51 is way faster than a normal carrera S. I dont know abt the track thing but in straight line ive managed to check that with a friend who has a 2008 tiptronic 997S. I pull away from every gear. even from the start. Not even close. And just to note that his car had the Evoms intake and PSE exhaust
Another thing, I've heard somewhere that the R8 is faster than a 997S so i got to race one the other day. I have a short clip of that. ill see if i can upload it somewhere

Old 04-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Check out this link and see if it's true an R8 is faster than an X51 Carrera S... at least not by what this video shows and one doesn't need to understand the language!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwy3Y1UR8tg

Last edited by cibergypsy; 04-12-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: missed a "d" on "need"
Old 04-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Check out this link and see if it's true an R8 is faster than an X51 Carrera S... at least not by what this video shows and one doesn't need to understand the language!
That certainly is a surprising turn out! I was honestly expecting a pretty close result between the two...

Old 04-13-2010, 09:53 AM
The guy didnt get a better shot hehe, sry for the crappy video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fo0xP2JsG0

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cup kit or Power Kit