997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Turbo Wing on 997.2 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 09:35 PM
wolfnards has a spectacular aura aboutwolfnards has a spectacular aura about
like it!

Old 07-22-2016, 03:31 PM
997.2 TT wing on 997.2 non-TT

Hi folks,

Been reading the multiple threads on this topic, all of them mention a 997.1 TT wing/decklid on a 997.1 or 997.2 non-TT.

Curious does anyone know if (or have installed) a 997.2 TT decklid/wing on a 997.2 non-TT is possible or even easier? I was going to other the part numbers listed at the beginning of this thread but wanted to wait to see if I can order either the 997.2 TT or 997.1 TT decklid/wing for my 997.2 C4.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-22-2016, 04:37 PM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wolfnards
Hi folks,

Been reading the multiple threads on this topic, all of them mention a 997.1 TT wing/decklid on a 997.1 or 997.2 non-TT.

Curious does anyone know if (or have installed) a 997.2 TT decklid/wing on a 997.2 non-TT is possible or even easier? I was going to other the part numbers listed at the beginning of this thread but wanted to wait to see if I can order either the 997.2 TT or 997.1 TT decklid/wing for my 997.2 C4.

Thanks in advance!
Ask and ye shall receive! Read my DIY on putting a 997.2 Turbo Wing (2010 in my case) on my 2009 C2S: Here you go: http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...on-my-c2s.html

Coincidentally, I just sold the car today to another fine Rennlist member. All that work and I go and sell it! What am I thinking!? Oh yeah... the next car. But I'll really miss this one. The wing is a great addition and gets tons of positive comments when I'm out and about.

Good luck and let me know if you end up with any other questions after reading through the DIY.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the extremely helpful post!!! That thread was a really exciting read. Sad to hear you're selling it but I totally understand coming from a tech focused job

Four dumb questions (background first):

I just ordered a used '08 TT wing/decklid/hydraulics part. It's from a 997.1TT so not sure how it changes these answers

dethman mentioned in post #38 in your thread that for a 997.2, you can use the factory intake as it fits just fine.

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...l#post11732566

However many others (including yourself) advised the need for EVOMS or Fabspeed intake airbox as there isn't appropriate clearance for the hydraulics of the TT wing.

1) Is that the case only for the S (you had a 997.2 c2s). I have a 997.2 C4 (non-S) and not sure if I need a new airbox based on dethman's post.

2). Also if I do need a new airbox I only found the EVOMS intake for the 997.1 ( http://www.evoms.com/category_s/2028.htm) and nothing for the 997.2 (non-S). Which EVOMS would be appropriate for me? Or if I go Fabspeed, will it fit without moving things around? Someone else mentioned they still had to cut pieces.

3) will the C4 stock fan suffice? I wasn't clear if the TT fan was preferred (although I think it as mentioned that there are 4 bolts on that vs the stock no-TT has 3).

4) I'm also planning to install the IPD Plenum which I assume won't be a problem for fitament?

Thanks so much in advance!

Wolf

Last edited by wolfnards; 07-23-2016 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:57 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
The 996 and 997 Turbo decklids are not interchangeable and the mounts where the hydraulics attach to the decklid are a different shape with a differerent bolt pattern, so don't buy hydraulics from a 996 to use with a 997 decklid. If you can find the 997 decklid and spoiler, but not the hydraulics, there's a better setup from Rennkit called an ERam that uses electric motors instead of hydraulics, so no leaks to deal with or failed seals at some point.

http://rennkit.com/product-info/997-turbo-eram-kit-2/

The angle of the air intake is different between the .1 and .2 cars. The fan position and mounting is different between the turbo and either generation of non-turbo so your best bet is to use the Turbo fan with the turbo decklid. For information, I tried to use a Fabspeed Y-Pipe on my 997.1 with the hydraulics of the turbo wing and one side had to be cut too short where it looked odd and also seemed to create a runnability issue so I went back to the J-pipe, but I don't think Fabspeed ever made a J-pipe for the 997.2 cars. If the intake at the plenum is more centrally located in the engine bay on the .2 cars, then the Fabspeed Y-Pipe forever the .2 might work, or maybe you can use the mating elbow from their 997.2 Y-Pipe with the single J-pipe from the 997.1 to get the angles right. The TT decklid upgrade on the pink car is a 997.1 with Evoms intake, and the silver car, also a 997.1 shows the 2 different Fabspeed intakes and the issue with the Y-Pipe.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:59 PM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wolfnards
Thanks for the extremely helpful post!!! That thread was a really exciting read. Sad to hear you're selling it but I totally understand coming from a tech focused job

Four dumb questions (background first):

I just ordered a used '08 TT wing/decklid/hydraulics part. It's from a 997.1TT so not sure how it changes these answers

dethman mentioned in post #38 in your thread that for a 997.2, you can use the factory intake as it fits just fine.

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...l#post11732566

However many others (including yourself) advised the need for EVOMS or Fabspeed intake airbox as there isn't appropriate clearance for the hydraulics of the TT wing.

1) Is that the case only for the S (you had a 997.2 c2s). I have a 997.2 C4 (non-S) and not sure if I need a new airbox based on dethman's post.
Unfortunately I don't know if the 997.1 deck lid changes things either. But as to the airbox: If you want to measure the width of your airbox you can compare it to the ones from mine below. I'll discuss this more below. (The gentlemen that bought the car will be here on Monday to pick it up so I was still able to take photos).
2). Also if I do need a new airbox I only found the EVOMS intake for the 997.1 ( http://www.evoms.com/category_s/2028.htm) and nothing for the 997.2 (non-S). Which EVOMS would be appropriate for me? Or if I go Fabspeed, will it fit without moving things around? Someone else mentioned they still had to cut pieces.
The Fabspeed dual cone intake shown in my thread fits easily with no cutting of anything. It is pretty similar to the carbon ones they currently sell. I don't know about other intake brands.
3) will the C4 stock fan suffice? I wasn't clear if the TT fan was preferred (although I think it as mentioned that there are 4 bolts on that vs the stock no-TT has 3).
I've seen mention of others hacking their original fan to fit, but the Turbo one is only a little over a hundred bucks so I'd just recommend the OEM Turbo one.
4) I'm also planning to install the IPD Plenum which I assume won't be a problem for fitament?
I don't really know, but I wouldn't think it would cause any problems as long as the mouth of the plenum is the same size as the original so that the intake will still hook up.
Thanks so much in advance!

Wolf

The airbox from my S measures about 26.25" across at the point where the hydraulics descend, while the gap between the hydraulics is maybe a hair under 26". Maybe the non-S airbox is narrower. I'm including photos that show where I measured below. If your airbox is narrower at that position then you might have a fit like the other Rennlister you referenced. Also, remember that the airbox may wiggle around a bit under engine load due to the rubber grommets used to mount it, so I would be reluctant to have them touch the hydraulics (not sure about the electric motor approach Petza mentioned). I would think you would want your airbox to be around 25" at the point where I measured mine in the photos below.

Measure across here above the aluminum plaque.

I get about 26.25" there at the upper edge, getting even another ¼" wider farther back (you can kind of see that in the photo), which when added on both sides means the bottom of the airbox is about 26.75".

With the other end of the tape held against the inner edge of the left hydraulic cylinder, here is the reading from the right side. Maybe a hair under 26".

Last edited by StormRune; 07-26-2016 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by StormRune
Unfortunately I don't know if the 997.1 deck lid changes things either. But as to the airbox: If you want to measure the width of your airbox you can compare it to the ones from mine below. I'll discuss this more below. (The gentlemen that bought the car will be here on Monday to pick it up so I was still able to take photos).

The Fabspeed dual cone intake shown in my thread fits easily with no cutting of anything. It is pretty similar to the carbon ones they currently sell. I don't know about other intake brands.

I've seen mention of others hacking their original fan to fit, but the Turbo one is only a little over a hundred bucks so I'd just recommend the OEM Turbo one.

I don't really know, but I wouldn't think it would cause any problems as long as the mouth of the plenum is the same size as the original so that the intake will still hook up.

The airbox from my S measures about 26.25" across at the point where the hydraulics descend, while the gap between the hydraulics is maybe a hair under 26". Maybe the non-S airbox is narrower. I'm including photos that show where I measured below. If your airbox is narrower at that position then you might have a fit like the other Rennlister you referenced. Also, remember that the airbox may wiggle around a bit under engine load due to the rubber grommets used to mount it, so I would be reluctant to have them touch the hydraulics (not sure about the electric motor approach Petza mentioned). I would think you would want your airbox to be around 25" at the point where I measured mine in the photos below.

Measure across here above the aluminum plaque.

I get about 25.25" there at the upper edge, getting even another ¼" wider farther back (you can kind of see that in the photo), which when added on both sides means the bottom of the airbox is about 26.75".

With the other end of the tape held against the inner edge of the left hydraulic cylinder, here is the reading from the right side. Maybe a hair under 26".
Petza and Stormrune, you are both gentlemen and scholars thank you.

My 997.2 air box is also 26.75. The only possible thing that can make a difference is somewhere I read the 997.1 air box sits a little more towards the rear of the car. And another thread with a 997.1 TT wing on a 997.2 non-TT car mentioned that the snorkels were the only thing that needed modification. Perhaps the position / location of the 997.2 air box allow room for the hydraulics?

One thing I did not come across that may work is if it's possible to replace the 997.2 airbox with a 997 TT airbox? And is there a difference between the 997.1/.2 airbox?

Can anyone kindly advise on this? Is the fitament compatible?

Old 07-26-2016, 05:21 AM
Hi-Arc is on a distinguished road
You will definitely need an aftermarket airbox if you decide to go with the better electric Eram setup. The motor with actuator is a larger footprint vs the hydraulic cylinders

Someone pointed out the Turbo fan spins in the opposite direction of the Non turbo 997. Not sure if it provides equal or better cooling in this application.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:52 AM
body shop recommendation for airbox mod?

Hey guys,
thanks for all the feedback and direction. finally got this done.

997.2 C4 with a 997.1TT decklid/wing.

Do you know any good body shops where they can do something like post #26 from this thread? https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/208788-turbo-wing-997-2-c2s-2.html#post3515708

He installed a Turbo wing and the snorkels on the turbo wing are towards the rear end, so the body shop custom meshed the rear side of the plastic (picture attached as 26.jpg).

Post #26 with clean look

when i got mine installed, my body shop did a hack job and basically cut an opening to match the snorkels.

What's worse, is they covered the original openings (towards front of car) with some plastic parts and glue. The left side is still glued

But the right side is coming off;

I can probably buy the top half of that air box brand new, and send it over to a shop to mimic the job from that user on post #26.

In the meantime, wondering if i should just take off that piece that's falling now...

Thanks in advance. i'll post some pictures soon!

wolf

Last edited by wolfnards; 09-19-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:01 AM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks to Joe R, I'm just now seeing this thread. The eRams are slightly larger footprint than the hydraulic rams, without the dozen or so headaches associated with the hydraulics. Take a look at the 996 or 997 forums for the many issues owners have with the OEM hydraulics. There is also quite a bit of info here: http://rennkit.com/why-factory-set-fails/ All that said, we have had a couple guys approach us about installing the eRams. Should be much easier and simpler to wire up!

Attached Images