997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche or B&M short shifter ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:52 AM
TrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the rough
Question Porsche or B&M short shifter ?

Hello guys, ive gotten a few good opinions on which short shifter is the best but i wanted to check with all my fellow 6speeders who might have one of these mods or experience with one on your own car. What do you guys think is the right road to go down ? Im trying to make a decision pretty much today or tomorrow as the car is at the dealer now and i can have them just install it while its there. Thanks for the help

Old 05-03-2010, 10:55 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
why red text?
as it was discussed before - OEM it is overall better. suncoast has `em.
to me it is not really essential - I can see why 996 people had to have it, on 997 IMHO stock one is pretty much OK. shorter one may feel nicer but IMHO it is not very essential.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
lots of post regarding the SSK lately..

its a great must-mod for manual trans.

get the OEM.

it has the original feel but with shorter throw.. no prob with warranty.. and cheaper and easier to install (although the selling price is higher).

Old 05-03-2010, 11:20 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Stay away from B&M. Myself and friends have had horrible experience with them and product.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:47 AM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
You already know where I stand on this one, OEM all the way

Old 05-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Oem...

Old 05-03-2010, 12:13 PM
h2woo is on a distinguished road
i had a b+m in my 986 and couldn't be more pleased. i originally had the evo shift link then ditched that for the b+m. it was tight, throws were noticable shorter. then i bought a used 997 and felt the shifting needed a ssk. i thought my 997 was just a stock shifter until i had the vin decoded and realized mine was the factory shift kit. although i cannot directly compare the b+m to the porsche ssk in a 997, if the b+m kit is anything like my old 986 i would definitely prefer that route.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:19 PM
crhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura about
vote for OEM

Old 05-03-2010, 01:22 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
I'm pulling out my B&M for a 997 OEM SSK.
That should tell you where I stand.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:33 PM
TrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the rough
Ok so OEM is definitely the way to go. =D just curious any major turn-offs with the b&m ?

Old 05-03-2010, 10:04 PM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
Heard that on the track, the SSK is not the way to go...shifts are easier to miss. Any track warriors out there with the SSK?

J

Old 05-04-2010, 04:36 AM
DW997s is a jewel in the roughDW997s is a jewel in the roughDW997s is a jewel in the rough
For those who have both driven the 997 with B&M and OEM SSK, please provide inputs!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by DW997s
For those who have both driven the 997 with B&M and OEM SSK, please provide inputs!
yes please !!!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Can someone plz provide info on doing this install yourself? I am going to go with the Porsche SSK but the dealer wants $300 to do it. I have installed a B&M on my brothers cayman S and it was kind of a pain in the *** but not too bad. I hear this is much easier so i figured i can just put it in myself. Does anyone know where i could find a good step by step diagram for this install?

Old 05-04-2010, 08:31 AM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porscheboy997
Can someone plz provide info on doing this install yourself? I am going to go with the Porsche SSK but the dealer wants $300 to do it. I have installed a B&M on my brothers cayman S and it was kind of a pain in the *** but not too bad. I hear this is much easier so i figured i can just put it in myself. Does anyone know where i could find a good step by step diagram for this install?
The B&M guide linked here : http://www.bmracing.com/bmracing/ins...ruction/67.pdf will actually guide you through the install pretty well. There's just no cutting/modifying needed like with the B&M. Install will probably take you about an hour or two, in fact you could always come over to Orlando and I'd help.

Last edited by DaveHutchinson; 05-04-2010 at 08:34 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche or B&M short shifter ?