997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Owner's with GT3 front bumper HELP! Body Shop Claims...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:39 PM
DW997s is a jewel in the roughDW997s is a jewel in the roughDW997s is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Owner's with GT3 front bumper HELP! Body Shop Claims...

I didn't get a chance to examine my GT3 front bumper prior to paint & install because I had it shipped directly from Suncoast to the body shop.

When I went to check out the car today (after the GT3 bumper was painted & installed), I noticed 2 small indentations where the license plate screws would be.

The body shop claimed that the 2 small indentations were already there when they received it and are guides for drilling in license plate holes. They claimed that they did not make the indentations.

I'm not sure whether this is true or not as I don't have these indentations on my OEM bumper. I've also seen an unpainted aerokit bumper which did not have the 2 indentations.

Can anyone with the GT3 bumper chime in? Did your's come with the 2 small indentations or was the front bumper smooth? If the body shop did this, I'm going to make them fix it!

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-12-2010, 09:40 PM
pvgolfer is on a distinguished road
It's true. Those two small indentations are on every GT3 I've seen (including mine).

Old 05-12-2010, 09:41 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
My older Porsches use to have two actual holes .

Old 05-12-2010, 09:58 PM
syosh will become famous soon enough
Yup, I've got the indentations on mine as well.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
they all have them but Bumper Plugs makes a color matched plug to go in them..like this...

Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 PM
SGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the rough
Yea they have them. I had my body shop shave them off prior to painting. Good luck!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:32 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Yup, got them on my GT3 front bumper. Just to be clear, these are very, very, very small. The bumper plugs GT3 Chuck shows in the pic above are actually much, much more noticeable then the small indentations.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:40 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Agreed with all responses. It's part of the OEM bumper package. I have it too.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:15 AM
DW997s is a jewel in the roughDW997s is a jewel in the roughDW997s is a jewel in the rough
Thanks guys. That's so weird...my stock bumper does not have them. I Wonder why the GT3 bumper has it.

Anyone have an idea how these 2 small indentations will affect having the bumper clear bra'ed? Wondering if the 2 small indentations will show after clear bra?

Last edited by DW997s; 05-13-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:53 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
I would suspect that the clear bra would have a couple of small cutouts to keep from having to screw through the clear bra material to mount a plate. I have the clear bra on my '09 but as already stated I don't have the indentations as you have described.

It would be an easy fix for the body shop to sand down, prep, fill, and repaint the area in question...assuming you want to spend he extra time and expense. Since the indentations are a common item on other GT3 bumpers, I'd keep it as is.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:15 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DW997s
Anyone have an idea how these 2 small indentations will affect having the bumper clear bra'ed? Wondering if the 2 small indentations will show after clear bra?
I've got a clear bra on my car and there are no cut-out's where the indent in. Perhaps that's why the indents seem so unnoticeable because the clear bra makes the indent less severe. I'll take a closer look when I get a chance but here's the best picture I can find right now that kind of shows what I'm talking about. I can try to take a super close up if you want.

Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2010, 12:31 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
My Aerokit bumper came with them.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by JoeShark
I've got a clear bra on my car and there are no cut-out's where the indent in. Perhaps that's why the indents seem so unnoticeable because the clear bra makes the indent less severe. I'll take a closer look when I get a chance but here's the best picture I can find right now that kind of shows what I'm talking about. I can try to take a super close up if you want.
Thanks for the response Joe. If it's not too much trouble, can you post a super close up of what it looks like after clear bra? I'm sure other's would be interested in seeing it. THanks!

Old 05-13-2010, 04:08 PM
SGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the rough
just shave them off during the prep period for your painter. It is mild sanding to smooth it out. I did it that way and no signs of uneven lines on my front bumper

Thanks for the response Joe. If it's not too much trouble, can you post a super close up of what it looks like after clear bra? I'm sure other's would be interested in seeing it. THanks!

Old 05-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Just tried to take a pic with my camera but it didn't turn out to good (parked in the garage). I'll try when I can get the car out with some better light (flash made the picture turn out pretty horrible). After taking a closer look though, I would say the clear bra helped hide the indents. It basically made the front flush with only the slightest, slightest indent. You can see the tiniest of holes behind the clear bra but it does smooth out that area. Standing a few feet away, basically a speck of dust, a tiny squished mosquito, or a tiny piece of road debris look the same as the two tiny holes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Owner's with GT3 front bumper HELP! Body Shop Claims...