997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Driving a 2010 PDK equipped 997S with the wife

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:51 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
There is a very good reason I bought a 6-speed.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:55 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sizquik
There is a very good reason I bought a 6-speed.
But... her husband already has a 6-speed. Let me be non-PC again... she was curious about the car having been in her husband's car, now she's ready to trash the dealer's property, and all be damned but she has to drive it as she sees fit, regardless of the warning given. PC my foot!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:06 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
Why would a Porsche dealership have a steep driveway that has to be driven at the perfect angle to prevent damage? IMO, they need to fix the driveway!

Ever see that episode of 'Million Dollar Listing' on Bravo where Josh (the agent with a black 997 targa S) is showing a house with a really steep driveway. Two guys pull up in a Lamborghini and meet him out front. Without even getting out the car, the driver of the Lambo says 'Nope, this house won't work - I can't even get my car up the driveway'.

Josh can't understand why he would put his car before his potential house (just buy a new car?), but guess I'm crazy too because anywhere I live I always take the car / parking situation into account!

C'mon dealership, if you sell sports cars - fix your driveway! Or maybe their body shop enjoys the business!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:14 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P997S
why did you let the salesman sit in the passenger seat??? BIG mistake -= you should sit next to your wife and he should have been squeezed in the back or he should not have come on the drive.
+1. When I bought the C2S cab, the salesman handled us the key and we took the car out for a nice 20+ minutes test drive.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:20 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JmanE55
+1. When I bought the C2S cab, the salesman handled us the key and we took the car out for a nice 20+ minutes test drive.
I had this happen once when I was buying a Porsche and was unfamiliar with the area . The salesman went to get my trade in appraised .
I ended up getting so lost in that 993 that I came back an hour later with about 50 miles on the car. I did buy the car though .

Old 06-10-2010, 10:30 PM
930jorge can only hope to improve
You married a woman, not a monkey. Just about anybody can drive/learn to drive a freakin' car...it's just a car. Give her a chance and she'll be doing doughnuts in the parking lot!

I have zero problems with her taking out spoilers or scratching the bottom of the car but sitting in the backseat? WTF were you thinking????? Let the guy sit in the cubicle or in the backseat, you're the one writing the check...what's wrong with people?

Old 06-10-2010, 11:00 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I wish my wife would come test drive cars with me. She loves driving my cars especially my C2S pdk, and it was one of the biggest turn-ons watching her drive the hell out of my friends viper.
But when it comes to test driving cars, she feels very intimidated by the dealers in the car with us. Even though she is a great driver, she can not enjoy driving a car with the dealer riding with us. Thus she never gets behind the wheel during a test drive and usually never even comes with me.
As for dealers letting me take the car without them, I have only had that experience once when I was trying to decide between getting the new M5 or a 650 and he let me take each of them for an hour.
But by reading your experiences with this, next time I will bring the wife and ask the dealer to let us go alone or no car buying from them.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:19 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P997S
why did you let the salesman sit in the passenger seat??? BIG mistake -= you should sit next to your wife and he should have been squeezed in the back or he should not have come on the drive.
Let's say that all three go for the test drive . Even if both the husband and wife drive the car there is a professional purpose of the salesman being present . If hubby were driving .. wife can sit in back and visa versa . The salesperson needs to be near the controls to explain the car. He can't do that from the back seat. I think New Song did the right move sitting in the back.

His wife was already nervous driving the car . Do you think she would have been more comfortable if hubby is playing "mr know it all " next to her? As it is even the saleman seemed jittery . She may have been been better off taking the car by herself . Being alone with the car may have been less stressful for her.

As it is she has the salesman, hubby, and about half of these replies passing judgement on her test drive after it was posted on the forum.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:31 AM
Jetpilot3 is on a distinguished road
I bet the wife felt intimidated with the sales guy in the passenger seat...best to test drive on together without sales person.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:05 AM
akim47 will become famous soon enoughakim47 will become famous soon enough
i wish my wife were willing to drive the 997... i think it's sexy.... as for the the bottom of the front lip spoiler... it's expendable...

Old 06-11-2010, 05:13 AM
fanboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by adias
Steve - the eternal 'Politically Correct' 6speedonline poster - at his best PC MO.

Yes we all start somewhere... why not learning to drive her husband's car first?
Most likely because her husband's car is a 6MT as he stated? And if she's like my wife she can't drive stick.

My dealer threw me the keys and gave me a free reign test driving a Cayman but came with me while driving the 911.

I think the OP's mistake was letting her drive it off the lot. What I'd have done is drive it to the half-way spot to get the feel of it (and her as well to some degree) and swap seats on the way back. The SA should have squeezed his @ss into the back seat if he wanted to come along.

I HATE when my wife makes impromptu decisions that mess with my carefully-laid mental plans.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:28 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fanboy
...I HATE when my wife makes impromptu decisions that mess with my carefully-laid mental plans.
Boy, this shoe fits all over my house...

Old 06-11-2010, 08:53 AM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
Originally Posted by adias
I would be embarrassed to report such an exploit, and would that have happened, I would think that my wife should not touch a car she has no skill or respect to handle.
I was completely sympathetic to the sales person but she's just inexperienced with low clearance cars. My wife daily drives an Acura RDX. So she's used to high clearance, automatic cars. All of MY cars are 6MT, so she's never gotten behind a P-Car or my Z06 for that matter.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:55 AM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
Originally Posted by socalsteve
Completely different take on it...

You have no reason to feel embarrassed because your wife had a hard time driving the car. Its a Porsche, its a sports car and it doesn't feel or drive like any car that she is probably used to.

I am sure the first time any one of us got in a 911, we were a bit nervous, apprehensive and overwhelmed. Its not a Mini-Van, SUV or sedan. Its low to the ground, the engine is way behind you and ITS A SPORTS CAR. It doesnt feel like anything else. Period!

She is not used to that. That's fine. Encourage her. She will get the hang of it. We all have to learn somewhere, somehow, right?

I am sure she is not the first person to scrape the bottom of a car on a test drive and will not be the last. Bottoms of cars can get repainted and the person who eventually buys the car will never know nor care as it will be brought back to new.

Dont listen to what anyone else tells you (there are some very judgmental people on this forum), she is your wife and has a love of P-Cars, the rest will fall into place.

Good luck!

Steve

PS: For all those worried about people test driving their cars before they eventually bought it, DONT BE! Its a damn tough sports car. If it can handle a track, it can sure handle people driving it in city traffic. If you are that worried about your car being so fragile, why did you buy it in the first place? Its a Porsche, they are really tough cars.
I think you're right. I am sympathetic to the Porsche Dealership, but it's not like my wife purposefully scratched the bottom. It was just inexperience.

I think buying a PDK Porsche would be my way of showing I'm not "selfish" since all the sports cars we own are 6MT.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by fanboy

I HATE when my wife makes impromptu decisions that mess with my carefully-laid mental plans.

I don't think any married man would disagree with this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving a 2010 PDK equipped 997S with the wife