997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Driving a 2010 PDK equipped 997S with the wife

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:27 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
Maybe you should get a different dealer

Originally Posted by socalsteve
There is NO reason in the world for you to have any feelings for the Porsche dealership or the Porsche salesperson. They have only one job to do. That job is selling cars and making money. That is their sole purpose for being there.

They have no feelings or sympathy for you. They dont see past your wallet-checkbook-bank account-FICO score. So, why should you give a rats a$$ about them?

You shouldn't! I hope you slept well that night and every night forward and dont give it a second thought.

There is a reason why they are fondly (not really fondly) referred to as "STEALERSHIPS".

Enjoy your wife and enjoy your cars, dont give it a second thought.
If thats the way you feel. My dealer certainly does not make me feel like a walking bank account. Of course the dealerships purpose is to sell cars and sales people are there to sell cars as well but man my porsche dealer has been nothing but awesome.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:17 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
It's awesome if you find a dealership that you trust. It's rare, but it's worth the search. It can make the whole buying/owning/maintaining a vehicle that much better.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:19 PM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
Originally Posted by amylynn
I loved this thread. I agree with some of the posters, but not for the defense of women drivers. A few comments:

* I think it is very sweet you sat in the back seat during the test drive. (It does look really uncomfortable. ) That is true love. I love to see my husband sacrifice his comfort for me.

* If the car was intended for her, then she should certainly be test driving it. Why do people have issue with this?

* I haven't driven a PDK, however, I have driven my husband's car w/ a paddle shifter. It wasn't the easiest thing for him to master on his first few drives.

* She didn't hurt the car, right? I can guarantee all you men have created more angst and pain in our lives by continually ruining loads of laundry (Light clothes get warm water. Colors get cold water... and check the label on instructions e.g. "dry clean only".)

* She didn't hit the other car, right? Jeez.....how many times have you all cut a corner too close? A little scrape on the bottom? a mis-shift......puuullllleeeeaaaasssse. Its just a toy that is meant to be driven hard. It can take the mis-shifting better than all you prima donna latte-sipping metrosexual males in tight black-t shirts can take a critique. ("Alex, I'll take 'Get some perspective' for $1000")

* Also, if you think about it...it is all your faults that we don't listen to you when we drive. Absolutely, 100% your fault. Your better halves (wives, girlfriends) have spent many years listening to your back-seat driver diatribe which was created by your little extra Y chromosome. The constant onslaught has simply desensitized us b/c of how repetitive you all are as passengers. So..if per chance you have something valuable to say when it comes to driving....you've programmed us not to hear it.

Where are the other sisters? I can't be the only one with an opinion on this.
Wow. Woman power.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:26 PM
johnnyreb2010 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by adias
Steve - the eternal 'Politically Correct' 6speedonline poster - at his best PC MO.

Yes we all start somewhere... why not learning to drive her husband's car first?
+1 adias, sounds like its a lil' to close to home for socal, like maybe he's had to ride in the back seat too!

Old 08-08-2010, 10:40 PM
problem!

Originally Posted by Krashdoc
Give me a break. Skills?? respect?? As much as I love my cars, they are just cars (flame away). I see two problems from the OP's experience.
First, the salesperson should have pulled the car out of the lot to a "safe" drive out location rather than having the test driver tease it out of a tight spot.
Secondly, the dealer needs to fix the ramp.
the salesman said he would drive it out of tight spot, but she said no, she's got it, just like he told her how to go out of lot sideways, & she did it her way anyway, sounds like she has a problem with men telling her how to do things!

Old 08-08-2010, 10:47 PM
no you didn't

Originally Posted by Christian
No offense but you should have grown some ***** and you should have drove if she didn't know how to
+1 christian, exactly what i've been tryin to say just in a nicer way!

Old 08-08-2010, 11:13 PM
stockid will become famous soon enoughstockid will become famous soon enough
Okay, I've read all the posts but my question is....How the hell did you fit back there?

Old 08-09-2010, 12:22 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I loved this thread. I agree with some of the posters, but not for the defense of women drivers. A few comments:

* I think it is very sweet you sat in the back seat during the test drive. (It does look really uncomfortable. ) That is true love. I love to see my husband sacrifice his comfort for me.

* If the car was intended for her, then she should certainly be test driving it. Why do people have issue with this?

* I haven't driven a PDK, however, I have driven my husband's car w/ a paddle shifter. It wasn't the easiest thing for him to master on his first few drives.

* She didn't hurt the car, right? I can guarantee all you men have created more angst and pain in our lives by continually ruining loads of laundry (Light clothes get warm water. Colors get cold water... and check the label on instructions e.g. "dry clean only".)

* She didn't hit the other car, right? Jeez.....how many times have you all cut a corner too close? A little scrape on the bottom? a mis-shift......puuullllleeeeaaaasssse. Its just a toy that is meant to be driven hard. It can take the mis-shifting better than all you prima donna latte-sipping metrosexual males in tight black-t shirts can take a critique. ("Alex, I'll take 'Get some perspective' for $1000")

* Also, if you think about it...it is all your faults that we don't listen to you when we drive. Absolutely, 100% your fault. Your better halves (wives, girlfriends) have spent many years listening to your back-seat driver diatribe which was created by your little extra Y chromosome. The constant onslaught has simply desensitized us b/c of how repetitive you all are as passengers. So..if per chance you have something valuable to say when it comes to driving....you've programmed us not to hear it.

In my opinion this generalization was swept with a large broom.

Your post actually begins differentiating that not all men viewed New Songs circumstance in the same manner .. it did take a turn when "you all" became the reference .

Last edited by yrralis1; 08-09-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:11 AM
essayons will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
+1. When I purchased my Porsche, the dealer gave us the car for over 4 hours and said,"Bring it back before closing."
that's how all my pcar test drives have gone... the first one (09 boxster with PDK) I didn't really think they were serious, I brought it back after about 45 minutes and the gm looked at us when we got in and said "you don't like it?"

my next test drive (08 boxster S manual) the dealer said the same thing, just don't leave the va/md/dc area, and bring it back before 6. It was back in the parking lot at 530pm.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:15 AM
essayons will become famous soon enough
I have to agree with amylynn (in part, at least)

when it comes down to it, it's just a car. My wife knows that she gives me heart attacks driving occaisionally, but I don't mention it. Just like she doesn't mention all the things I do that must annoy the crap out of her (yes, honey, that is my wet towel on the couch...)

Old 08-09-2010, 12:32 PM
stockid will become famous soon enoughstockid will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

My turn at this.

1. I would have let my wife go without me. Or, we would have gone without the salesman.....no way I sit in the back.

2. Of course she should test drive it. Crank it babe!

3. PDK no problem! First time I downshifted when I thought I was upshifting ugh.

4. I've been doing my own wash and everybody else's since I was 12 no big deal. Still can't figure out where those missing socks go. You?

5. Don't have any straight black tees. But, I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express.

6. Hey, my wife has saved me from hitting tons of bikers running red lights and blowing through stop signs...one day I'm gonna get those little buggers...lol.

Last edited by stockid; 08-09-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:21 PM
winkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of light
It can take the mis-shifting better than all you prima donna latte-sipping metrosexual males in tight black-t shirts can take a critique. ("Alex, I'll take 'Get some perspective' for $1000")
Get with the program - we drink Blue Bottle Single Origin double espressos these days.

(agreed on all the other points though - my 5'2", 80lb, chipped M3-driving ex is a more aggressive driver than me)

Old 08-09-2010, 09:25 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Originally Posted by johnnyreb2010
+1 adias, sounds like its a lil' to close to home for socal, like maybe he's had to ride in the back seat too!
I'm 6' 5"...I DONT site in back seats of many cars...

Old 08-10-2010, 10:55 AM
amylynn is on a distinguished road
I guess it was a generalization. (I know many folks in here are good people, husbands, fathers, drivers, etc.) I'll take better care to not lump everyone into categories....

...but in the mean time: I'll continue to fly around on that broom at night, dropping curses on all those mis-shifting, latte-sipping, tight-black t-shirt wearing drivers.

Originally Posted by yrralis1
In my opinion this generalization was swept with a large broom.

Your post actually begins differentiating that not all men viewed New Songs circumstance in the same manner .. it did take a turn when "you all" became the reference .

Old 08-10-2010, 10:58 AM
amylynn is on a distinguished road
BTW - I cleaned out the rear seats yesterday (trail mix explosion) and had a chance to actually sit in one. I cannot believe Porsche has the audacity to call those tiny little things "seats".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving a 2010 PDK equipped 997S with the wife