997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Driving a 2010 PDK equipped 997S with the wife

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:26 PM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
Angry Driving a 2010 PDK equipped 997S with the wife

So I have a CPO'd C2S, and thought I'd go test drive a new PDK model over the weekend after hearing a friend of ours give PDK his highest recommendation (I'm a die hard 6MT user). I was on my way out the door when the wife ask to tag along. While there, we see a sweet looking 997S Cab. I ask to test drive it, and the salesman goes to get the keys. My wife then comments, "I think I should drive. You always get to test drive."

Okay I thought, no harm, since she would be driving the car mostly since it would probably be a purchase for her if we did get it.

We get the keys, I squeeze myself into the back sideways, and the salesman gets into the passenger seat, with my wife taking the controls.

As we try to pull out, there is only about a 2 foot gap between a Cayman S, and the turn radius of the PDK 997S. I tell my wife to turn the wheel all the way and go slowly. She tries and is still too wide, almost scraping the back of a brand new Cayman!

The salesman by this time is getting a little sweaty and worried and ask if he can pull it out, and my wife says "No thanks, I got it." So after going forward and backward about 20 times, we get the car out of the lot. I distinctly hear the sales guy tell my wife to take the driveway at an angle so we don't scrape. We go directly over the driveway perpendicular, and hear a loud scratching noise as we pull out of the driveway to the main road. Yup, that under carriage is marked up bad. No problem the sales guy says seeming only slightly annoyed, just take her up the PCH and drive it down.

As we're starting to accelerate the car starts to shudder back and forth like a kid on Ritalin. I literally almost lost my hat.

The sales guy says, "You've got to give the car more gas." I nod in agreement.

Now to test PDK. The salesman explains how to shift using the paddles. It's a bit confusing to her since we don't own any cars with paddle shifters. The first shift kind of goes awry and we're way low in RPMs. The sales guy then just tells her to put it into manutronic mode and don't worry about manually shifting.

Despite the mishaps that happened, I felt the car pull pretty hard going back down PCH, it seemed to have an endless torque curve. I was impressed.

Finally we get back to the dealership, and the guy was pretty nice and said don't worry about scratching up the bottom of the car. I was a little embarassed.

All in all, it wasn't the best test drive experience, in fact it may have been one of the worst. But at least Porsche SA's aren't too **** about how their cars are treated. Though I do kind of cringe for the next person who may buy that car.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:10 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NewSong
So I have a CPO'd C2S, and thought I'd go test drive a new PDK model over the weekend ... My wife then comments, "I think I should drive. You always get to test drive." ....I distinctly hear the sales guy tell my wife to take the driveway at an angle so we don't scrape. We go directly over the driveway perpendicular, and hear a loud scratching noise as we pull out of the driveway to the main road. Yup, that under carriage is marked up bad. ... I was a little embarassed.
I would be embarrassed to report such an exploit, and would that have happened, I would think that my wife should not touch a car she has no skill or respect to handle.

Last edited by adias; 06-10-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:11 PM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
why did you let the salesman sit in the passenger seat??? BIG mistake -= you should sit next to your wife and he should have been squeezed in the back or he should not have come on the drive.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
You should be embarrassed (I would be) and your wife should not touch a car she has no skill or respect to handle.
My thoughts exactly!

Old 06-10-2010, 06:39 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P997S
why did you let the salesman sit in the passenger seat??? BIG mistake -= you should sit next to your wife and he should have been squeezed in the back or he should not have come on the drive.
+1. When I purchased my Porsche, the dealer gave us the car for over 4 hours and said,"Bring it back before closing."

Old 06-10-2010, 06:44 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
+1. When I purchased my Porsche, the dealer gave us the car for over 4 hours and said,"Bring it back before closing."
Seeing the OP's post, no dealer should do that, unless they know the customer as a responsible individual. Think about it... would you buy a car from the dealer's inventory which could have been abused/damaged as hereby reported?

Old 06-10-2010, 06:58 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I sure as hell would never sit in the back of a 911 - or even a Cayenne for that matter. PDK 997 is a nice car. Better off getting her a CLK. Cheaper, easier to drive and she'll like it better anyway. Spending 100k plus on a 997 cab would be a huge waste of money. If you've got money to burn, better off buying a Bentley.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:03 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Boy...this is giving me the jitters. Although my car was "new" when I bought it off the lot. It had 300 test drive miles on it as it sat on the lot for 5 months without any takers. I wonder who and how it was test driven. Well time will tell I guess as I am supercareful when I drive with regards to over revs and lugging the engine.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 06-10-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:06 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Completely different take on it...

You have no reason to feel embarrassed because your wife had a hard time driving the car. Its a Porsche, its a sports car and it doesn't feel or drive like any car that she is probably used to.

I am sure the first time any one of us got in a 911, we were a bit nervous, apprehensive and overwhelmed. Its not a Mini-Van, SUV or sedan. Its low to the ground, the engine is way behind you and ITS A SPORTS CAR. It doesnt feel like anything else. Period!

She is not used to that. That's fine. Encourage her. She will get the hang of it. We all have to learn somewhere, somehow, right?

I am sure she is not the first person to scrape the bottom of a car on a test drive and will not be the last. Bottoms of cars can get repainted and the person who eventually buys the car will never know nor care as it will be brought back to new.

Dont listen to what anyone else tells you (there are some very judgmental people on this forum), she is your wife and has a love of P-Cars, the rest will fall into place.

Good luck!

Steve

PS: For all those worried about people test driving their cars before they eventually bought it, DONT BE! Its a damn tough sports car. If it can handle a track, it can sure handle people driving it in city traffic. If you are that worried about your car being so fragile, why did you buy it in the first place? Its a Porsche, they are really tough cars.

Last edited by socalsteve; 06-10-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Stockton is just really niceStockton is just really niceStockton is just really niceStockton is just really nice
Well, obviously the wife ins't a 6Speed member.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by socalsteve
Completely different take on it...

I am sure she is not the first person to scrape the bottom of a car on a test drive and will not be the last. Bottoms of cars can get repainted and the person who eventually buys the car will never know nor care as it will be brought back to new. ...

PC as usual... That is not the point. She was advised to drive the car sideways out the lot... she decided she knew better and forced her way through. That is what's wrong.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:29 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
I don't even want the dealer to go. If I drive up in a Civic or am buying something Italian, sure. Call me arrogant, if the dealer insists on going, forget it.

Unless I'm not familiar with the area a salesperson adds an unnecessary element. My last purchase the dealer said he would jump in the back seat. We said, we'd prefer to go ourself. They said no. We said by. They said ok then go ahead, we bought the car.

Last edited by KK Moto; 06-10-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:40 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Originally Posted by adias
PC as usual... That is not the point. She was advised to drive the car sideways out the lot... she decided she knew better and forced her way through. That is what's wrong.
Its amazing that you are a mind reader as well as so many other things. How do you have a clue what was going on in her mind?

See, I knew it, you dont have a clue...and again, so darn judgmental!

Don't assume (remember, that makes an *** out of you and me) anything.

Again (to the original poster), encourage your wife to drive more P-Cars until she gets the feel-hang of them. Maybe even rent one for a day and let her really get to know and learn the car inside and out.

We all had to start somewhere.

Steve

Old 06-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by socalsteve
Its amazing that you are a mind reader as well as so many other things. How do you have a clue what was going on in her mind?

See, I knew it, you dont have a clue...and again, so darn judgmental!

Don't assume (remember, that makes an *** out of you and me) anything.

Again (to the original poster), encourage your wife to drive more P-Cars until she gets the feel-hang of them. Maybe even rent one for a day and let her really get to know and learn the car inside and out.

We all had to start somewhere.

Steve
Steve - the eternal 'Politically Correct' 6speedonline poster - at his best PC MO.

Yes we all start somewhere... why not learning to drive her husband's car first?

Old 06-10-2010, 07:50 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
It sounds like the experience had its highs and lows . It's often best on a first time test drive on a car with new gadgetry to let the saleman take the car off the lot and show it to you first . Then they turn over the car in an area to allow the first time driver to explore it with a bit more confidence .

All in all --you never did get to drive the PDK . Keep in mind that if you do drive it .. it takes some time to learn which choices suit yoir driving style . One trst drive won't do the trick . 2K mile break in period will give a much better idea.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving a 2010 PDK equipped 997S with the wife