997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

new 993 coupe vs old 08 Cab

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 03:27 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
new 993 coupe vs old 08 Cab

I received my 95 C2 Coupe by transport yesterday from Richard Sloan. A nice surprise was that he paid for the transport, and the transport company and driver couldn't have been more professional.
So far I'm enjoying the car and my local mechanic says it's a good one - appears to be all original as touted, and the breaks and clutch are in good shape w 35,000 miles on the car.
I'm surprised at some of my initial impressions. I was expecting the car to be a rougher, less civilized ride. On the contrary, the car is tight as can be, no rattles, supple, and stable. Also, the shifter feels smoother than my 997, and the HiFi stereo is better (initial impression, although the 997 is a cab.)
The 997 is much more torquey, and feels more planted in the curves. Yet if anything, the 997 feels more like I'm riding on concrete wheels. I love it for what it is, but expected the 993 would be more rough.
Question: wil a short shifter make the shifting more difficult, because right now it's nice.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:18 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I would not modify that 993 at all . It is a classic .
When I had my 993 I did do a few things (throttle body) , 17 in wheels (mine came with 16) .
Two issuses I had were :1) the wiring harness went and 2) I don't remember (but it was expensive ) --lol.

Question --have you tried to put modern day ipod and bluetooth in the car? Just curious .

Lastly -- after you drive this car awhile .. drive a 993 Turbo .. absolutely amazing car !!! That was my next car after my 993 NA car.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:27 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
I haven't tried to do anything with Bluetooth or ipod. (Not that much into techno gadgets, and mainly like to listen to the engines of these cars.)

I'm thinking of doing minimal mods to make it more track worthy: mainly suspension.

Does anyone out there have heel-toe tips. I feel fairly accomplished with the technique - learned on a 2000 528i sport manual and have since used it routinely on 4 or 5 cars, but I'm finding the pedal set-up in this car challenging.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:34 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mseligson
I haven't tried to do anything with Bluetooth or ipod. (Not that much into techno gadgets, and mainly like to listen to the engines of these cars.)

I'm thinking of doing minimal mods to make it more track worthy: mainly suspension.

Does anyone out there have heel-toe tips. I feel fairly accomplished with the technique - learned on a 2000 528i sport manual and have since used it routinely on 4 or 5 cars, but I'm finding the pedal set-up in this car challenging.

The offset pedals are part of the quirky appeal of the car . I miss my 993 just reading your posts.

I agree that most like to listen to the engine but if it is a DD it boils down to holding the phone in ones hand and listening to cassette.

I did do the suspension on my Turbo . I recall that at the time the cars in germany had a different spec with both the springs and alignment . The tuner at the time ordered the OEM German springs and aligned my car to Euro spec. The ride height was slightly ower and handling was more precise.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:39 PM
More precison in the ride would be nice, and I'd like to find a way to reduce understeer without creating more of a tendency for the rear-end to break loose - or at least not increase the propensity for it to break loose without warning.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:51 PM
scopeit is infamous around these partsscopeit is infamous around these parts
Short Shifter=more effort needed to shift.