997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Long term reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:01 AM
aaks38 is on a distinguished road
997 Long term reliability

Sorry if this has been asked before but Im curious if anyone here has a high mileage 997 and ideally are these cars built to go over 100k without serious work (ie engine work, tranny repair).

It seems like for many these cars become disposable around 30-40k mileage. Not sure if this is due to upgrading or fearing the upcoming repairs/servicing.

Thanks Cal

Old 08-27-2010, 01:45 PM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
74k on my 05S daily driver. The car has been an absolute stud. Pads and rotors, plugs and coil packs at 60k. Oil changes every 5k. Replaced the front tires once and the rears 3xs.

Most guys leaving these cars at 30-40k are either leased or traded up.

You'll spend more money on modifications than you will in repairs.

The more a Porsche car is driven, the better it gets.

Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2010, 02:38 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HATTRICK
74k on my 05S daily driver. The car has been an absolute stud. Pads and rotors, plugs and coil packs at 60k. Oil changes every 5k. Replaced the front tires once and the rears 3xs.

That is a great testimonial.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:54 PM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
74k on my 05S daily driver. Replaced the front tires once and the rears 3xs.
Wow, you're getting 20k miles +/- on your rears? Do you do a lot of freeway driving? Rears on my '07 lasted 10-12k miles if I recall.

First set of rears on my C63 lasted 3500 miles.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:48 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gravedgr
Wow, you're getting 20k miles +/- on your rears? Do you do a lot of freeway driving? Rears on my '07 lasted 10-12k miles if I recall.

Too many smoke shows?!

Old 08-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
I think HATTRICK makes a good point regarding the more you drive your Porsche the better it gets. But sometimes I wonder if it's an issue of time and not necessarily mileage that affects these cars. I had my Boxster for 8 years with no major issues. Replaced a few sets of tires, one set of brake pads and the requisite oil changes. It had a minor RMS leak that I never bothered with nor worried about. But, it only had 36 M miles on the OD. If I have put 75 M miles on it over the same period of time I believe it could well have exihibited the same reliablity over that 8 year period. Does it more sense to say then that these cars exhibit reliablity for " X number of years " as opposed to " X number of miles " assuming they are not tracked ?

Old 08-27-2010, 07:07 PM
csm356 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Dadio
Does it more sense to say then that these cars exhibit reliablity for " X number of years " as opposed to " X number of miles " assuming they are not tracked ?

"It ain't the years, honey, it's the mileage."
--Indiana Jones

05 Cab = 4k miles in the 7 weeks
59 Coupe = 15k miles in 11 years
Both are reliable...so far!

Old 08-27-2010, 07:10 PM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by gravedgr

2nd owner. picked it up with 36k. 38k are mine. i'm every 10-12k with the rears too.....

Old 08-27-2010, 11:21 PM
ROADRAGE is a jewel in the roughROADRAGE is a jewel in the roughROADRAGE is a jewel in the roughROADRAGE is a jewel in the rough

Amen...

I babied mine from taking delivery ( 4k / yr) then after being unemployed temporarily and almost had to give up the car, finally got back to working and now I am ENJOYING my car..hell what's the point in buying a nice car if you don't use it right?

Old 08-28-2010, 10:26 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dadio
I think HATTRICK makes a good point regarding the more you drive your Porsche the better it gets. But sometimes I wonder if it's an issue of time and not necessarily mileage that affects these cars. I had my Boxster for 8 years with no major issues. Replaced a few sets of tires, one set of brake pads and the requisite oil changes. It had a minor RMS leak that I never bothered with nor worried about. But, it only had 36 M miles on the OD. If I have put 75 M miles on it over the same period of time I believe it could well have exihibited the same reliablity over that 8 year period. Does it more sense to say then that these cars exhibit reliablity for " X number of years " as opposed to " X number of miles " assuming they are not tracked ?
I think that it could be also said that driving it more might actually prevent some issues as the RMS seems to be a non issue in more frequently driven cars. So more mileage is sometimes better in more than a few ways.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:07 AM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
cant speak to high mileage

but I am only getting 6 thousand miles out of my rears but maybe that just means I'm having to much fun

Old 08-28-2010, 11:30 AM
markar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to all
If you drive it nice you can go 200,000 miles with this cars just do normal maintenance. and enjoy it.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:47 PM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by aaks38
Sorry if this has been asked before but Im curious if anyone here has a high mileage 997 and ideally are these cars built to go over 100k without serious work (ie engine work, tranny repair).

It seems like for many these cars become disposable around 30-40k mileage. Not sure if this is due to upgrading or fearing the upcoming repairs/servicing.

Thanks Cal
i don't think the "disposable" comment could be more wrong - no offense intended. driven and maintained, these cars will take a beating. they'll have issues here and there and consensus seems to be that driving them in a spirited manner is only good.

getting out of a porsche after warranty is typically a rationalization for getting something newer / better IMO. of course, that makes the ecosystem work well and allows for a nice inventory of used product on the market at a lower price. the economics absolutely do not work when you consider depreciation, etc. under normal circumstances the absolutely worst thing that will happen will cost you $4-5k.

of course, nearly everybody knows of exceptions but they usually result from overrevs, regretful mods or the like.

as an anecdotal example, i have a couple mercedes that i bought with 40-60k miles at huge discounts because of the fear of maintenance. i'd say in 50k miles of use, i've spent about $4k between them, including major service and brakes all around (note: i have a low cost mechanic working under the table, so i did save on parts and labor). had i purchased them a year newer, and CPO'd, the math would never have worked out in my favor.

edit: i wouldn't say the same for all manufacturers, like an out of warranty maserati or jag

Last edited by brendo; 08-28-2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: forgot the disclaimer
Old 08-28-2010, 12:51 PM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
These are solid cars and its very easy to get caught up in the whole trading in when the warranty expires/reach a certain mileage.

My 997S is 1 mile away from crossing the 40k barrier. To some, that would be like pushing the car off a cliff in terms of depreciation but to me, what's the point in me buying it if I don't drive it? It's not my only car, far from it but I *want* to drive it all the time. I probably will trade it in for a 2010 either tail end of next year or in 2012 but if I can't afford to at the time, (med school) then so be it, I'm lucky enough to own a couple of year old Porsche 911, the mileage in the grand scheme of things only matters to the next buyer - enjoy it!

Old 08-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Karl B will become famous soon enough
Some people just have to have a new car, I on the other hand would rather let someone else take the initial devaluation hit. I have purchased used Mercedes with 60 to 80000 miles for my last 3 daily drivers. Extremely reliable if maintenance is done, and I am driving a Mercedes for less than a Hyundai.
With a fanatical original owner, a used Porsche with 30,000 miles is a no brainier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Long term reliability