997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Sport / Sport Plus Mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Mark Ducati will become famous soon enoughMark Ducati will become famous soon enough
Sport / Sport Plus Mode

I have a CPO 09 Porsche 997.2, PDK and 3.6L engine.

What's the difference between Sport and Sport Plus?

And what about Launch Control?

I found a video on youtube that said to simply put it in Sport mode then to hold the brake pedal down while depressing the accelerator all the way then releasing the brake.... back where I come from that's just called "power braking".

Surely launch control on a car like this is more refined than that?

I didn't want to hijack the other sport mode thread, hope it was alright to start this one.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 09-08-2010, 04:22 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Mark,

Probably the best place to start is with the owner's manual - there's a good deal of explanation in there - about 7 pages that is a bit much to duplicate here.

An even more detailed document call 2009_Technik_Introduction_All_997_Carrera_models is available as PDF if you Google around for it.

After digging through those, there's a lot of people here who could answer remaining questions.

On Sport Plus, you should notice a significant difference in the car if you try it out: gears are held until near redline (in Auto) and shifting is quick and abrupt (in Auto or Manual) - pretty over the top for normal day to day driving:

“Sport Plus” mode activated:
In “Sport Plus” mode, the PDK transmission
changes to a shift program designed for driving
on race circuits. 7th gear is not selected.
The gear-changing performance is enhanced

significantly again compared with “Sport” mode.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Dans09C2 is on a distinguished road
Mark,

First, congratulations on the purchase of your 911 and hopefully you are starting to become more familiar with some of the Porsche specific features of the car. Being the previous owner of your vehicle, I can attest while I didn't post much on 6speedonline's forum, it is by far the best resource for information about your Porsche as the members are true Porsche enthusiasts and are very helpful and knowledgeable about these cars. Regarding the Sport/Sport Plus modes I found that for normal driving applications the Sport mode was used 99% of the time as it gives the car a much more responsive throttle feel and made it drive like a true sports car with a more aggressive shifting map. As Steve stated, Sport Plus mode is only used for track applications as it shifts near the redline and is overkill for the streets. Sport Plus is needed in order to activiate the launch control which I must say is an experience like none other. In order to do a launch control, first press the sport plus button, then place the shifter in drive, then put your left foot on the brake, and right foot on the floor to engage the "kick-down" mode. The car will rev to approximately 6500 rpms and you'll hear a beep (chime) with the display under the tach stating "launch control active". With the throttle still on the floor, quickly release the brake and prepare to wipe the grin off your face as you are pinned back in your seat. Again congrats and enjoy!

Dan

Old 09-08-2010, 05:27 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
... And what about Launch Control?

I found a video on youtube that said to simply put it in Sport mode then to hold the brake pedal down while depressing the accelerator all the way then releasing the brake.... back where I come from that's just called "power braking".

Surely launch control on a car like this is more refined than that?
More refined? You say that a system that launches your car at the edge of grip with maximum torque, by just pushing a button, flooring the gas pedal, and releasing the brake is not refined?!?

What else is needed? a background voice telling you to hold on for dear life?

Old 09-08-2010, 05:48 PM
EXLVI has a spectacular aura aboutEXLVI has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by adias

What else is needed? a background voice telling you to hold on for dear life?

Old 09-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Mark Ducati will become famous soon enoughMark Ducati will become famous soon enough
I tried launching once before.... I didn't take it to 6500 rpms though... maybe that was the problem.

Do you need to be in auto or manual?

What I meant by refined was like on my BMW M6, to launch (the US version is very weak), you get the power on and in S6 mode, push the shifter forward and step on the gas.... pushing forward momentarily puts the car in neutral, then when you release the lever to allow it to spring back, it launches.

Stepping on the brake just seems like an extra step...

When I get my car back from the shop, I'm going to try a proper launch.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Dans09C2 is on a distinguished road
Auto mode in D. Unless you hear a chime and see the display read "launch control active" you aren't engaging the "Launch control" system.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:59 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I have Sport Plus in my car and I never used Launch Control and never will. I have done it several times in demo cars though. Reach your own conclusion.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:54 PM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adias
I have Sport Plus in my car and I never used Launch Control and never will. I have done it several times in demo cars though. Reach your own conclusion.
This. Because Launch Control can be done with little-to-no wheelspin/tiresmoke/tread marks, I know I would be doing it daily ... and consequently, replacing the clutch much sooner than anticipated.

I am 100% certain Launch Control is easier on the drivetrain than a 6500 clutch drop in a 6MT.

I am also 100% certain Launch Control is harder on the drivetrain than normal starts in PDK normal/sport/sport plus modes as well as normal starts with the 6MT.

Knowing all three of these truths was part of the decision to stick wth the 6MT. Use LC as often as you like, but just make sure anything you tear up occurs while under warranty.